VOGONS

The Soundblaster DSP project

Topic actions

Reply 820 of 1051, by Maelgrum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
S95Sedan wrote on 2023-10-09, 17:56:
You mean the typo in X1231? Thats all i can see as changed in the later versions. […]
Show full quote
maxtherabbit wrote on 2023-10-09, 17:25:
S95Sedan wrote on 2023-10-09, 17:21:
These are the fixes that are out there? […]
Show full quote

These are the fixes that are out there?

v413-8k_4ca3dca8_patch3
- Fixed hanging note bug

v413-8k_16a46526_patch4
- Fixed hanging note bug
- Fixed PSW bug in ExtInt0/ExtInt1 interrupt handlers

Id just go with the last one for now.
Theres a couple things which can be improved but it will probably take time.

Here im mostly cleaning up the code before doing anything, making it a bit easier to work with.

When I said "third maelgrum release" I was referring to the ones made by assembling modified disassembly from the dumps, not the hex edited versions. Also you forgot the ADPCM fix

You mean the typo in X1231? Thats all i can see as changed in the later versions.

mov	a,0ffh
to
mov a,#0ffh

Yes, it is it.

Reply 821 of 1051, by S95Sedan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Maelgrum wrote on 2023-10-09, 17:59:

Yes, it is it.

This should be all of them if if im correct?
patch 3 - which moves int0_handler + int1_handler:

push	acc
push dpl
push dph
push rb0r0

patch 4 - ExtInt0/ExtInt1 (adpcm2 + adpcm4 + adpcm2_6 + dac_silence)

pop	rb0r0
pop dph
pop dpl
pop acc
reti
to
ljmp X008c

And patch 5 offcourse:

mov	a,0ffh
to
mov a,#0ffh

Reply 822 of 1051, by Maelgrum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
S95Sedan wrote on 2023-10-09, 18:17:
This should be all of them if if im correct? patch 3 - which moves int0_handler + int1_handler: […]
Show full quote
Maelgrum wrote on 2023-10-09, 17:59:

Yes, it is it.

This should be all of them if if im correct?
patch 3 - which moves int0_handler + int1_handler:

push	acc
push dpl
push dph
push rb0r0

patch 4 - ExtInt0/ExtInt1 (adpcm2 + adpcm4 + adpcm2_6 + dac_silence)

pop	rb0r0
pop dph
pop dpl
pop acc
reti
to
ljmp X008c

And patch 5 offcourse:

mov	a,0ffh
to
mov a,#0ffh

Hanging note bug:

int1_handler:
clr p1.2
push acc
mov r0,#5 <--- illegal placement of access to x-bus reg 0x05 here
movx a,@r0
clr acc.6
movx @r0,a
pop acc
push acc
push dpl
push dph
push rb0r0

Solution:

int1_handler:
clr p1.2
push acc
push dpl
push dph
push rb0r0
mov r0,#5 <--- push acc and pop acc not needed here
movx a,@r0
clr acc.6
movx @r0,a

4.04, 4.05, 4.16 is bug free
4.11, 4.12, 4.13 is bugged

Last edited by Maelgrum on 2023-10-10, 15:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 823 of 1051, by Jackhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a CT2230 with DSp 4.13 and like to join testing. How do i flash the chip? With a programmer only, or is there a flash programm?

Dos 6.22: Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 Rev 2.0 1Mb L2 - AMD A5x86 X5 ADZ 133MHz @160MHz - 64MB RAM - CT2230 - GUS ACE - MPU-401 AT - ET4000W32P
Win98SE: Asus P5K-WS - E8600 @ 4,5GHz - Strange God Voodoo 5 6000 PCI @ 66MHz PCI-X - 2GB DDR2 1066 - Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 824 of 1051, by Maelgrum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
S95Sedan wrote on 2023-10-09, 18:17:

ADPCM decoding bug:

X1231:	add	a,r2
jnc X1236
mov a,0ffh

this is typo, ACC loaded not with intended 0xFF byte, but with value readed from non existing SFR register 0xFF.
Solution:

X1231:	add	a,r2
jnc X1236
mov a,#0ffh

This bug is present is 4.04-4.13, fixed in 4.16

Reply 825 of 1051, by Maelgrum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Samplerate conversion bug (present in 4.04, 4.05, 4.11,4.12, fixed in 4.13 and 4.16) - just for complete description of found bugs in fw.

Details
X0aa1:	mov	a,#17h            ; from 4.11
mov b,rb2r4
mul ab
mov rb3r0,b
mov rb2r7,a
mov a,#17h
mov b,rb2r3
mul ab
xch a,b
add a,rb2r7
mov rb2r7,a
mov a,rb3r0
addc a,#0
mov a,rb3r0 <-- bug - this line not needed
rrc a

Already fixed in 4.13:

X0a95:	mov	a,#17h
mov b,rb2r4
mul ab
mov rb3r0,b
mov rb2r7,a
mov a,#17h
mov b,rb2r3
mul ab
xch a,b
add a,rb2r7
mov rb2r7,a
mov a,rb3r0
addc a,#0
rrc a
mov rb3r0,a

Reply 826 of 1051, by Maelgrum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

PSW bug - present in all versions of fw.
In all interrupt handlers, PSW is not pushed and popped to/from stack.
Any executing commands, which have JC, JNC, JZ, JNZ in code path, or any usage of carry (rrc, rlc, e.t.c.) can be affected.
In typical (classic) SB usage scenarios, this should not be an issue.
But some non standard/not typical usage scenarios, this bug can affect command execution badly.

And in timer0_handler, R0 is spoiled in one path of execution, also in all present fw.

Solution:
PUSH PSW
POP PSW
in interrupt handlers

and
push rb0r0
pop rb0r0
in timer0_handler

Last edited by Maelgrum on 2023-10-10, 16:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 827 of 1051, by S95Sedan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah i think i have them all from what i can see summarized. But its good to have it all documentated incase people need it.
See the attached files which include python scripts to patch them, input (stock 4.13) and output files (5 has all the fixes combined)

Attachments

• Filename
    dsp_asm_v1.02.zip
    File size
    23.53 KiB
    Downloads
    43 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 828 of 1051, by Maelgrum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thinking about Single DMA clicking bug, i think it can be fixed.
Now command 0x14 executes in following way:
1. SB recieves 0x14 and 2 more bytes, and programs Bus control chip for buffer playing.
2. Bus control chip reads by DMA samples and outputs them to DAC
3. At buffer end, IRQ is fired, and int1 in DSP programs Bus Control chip to stop playing.
This is hardware assisted way.

My idea is do this in SB/SB Pro way - not hardware assisted.
In int0 handler, request DMA byte, read it, and send it to DAC.
By this way, we can have full control over DAC, and no clicks will be produced at buffer end.
But it is not a patch ! )) It is new code, never existed before, completely new code in int0 handler and completely new code in cmd 0x14 .

Reply 829 of 1051, by S95Sedan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you want i have a ct1600 i can take the dsp off and try to read it. (Intel chip, v302, which should be readable)
Maybe its usable in some way for that, as i believe thats one of the last versions which is still unaffected right?

Reply 830 of 1051, by Maelgrum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
S95Sedan wrote on 2023-10-10, 16:50:

If you want i have a ct1600 i can take the dsp off and try to read it. (Intel chip, v302, which should be readable)
Maybe its usable in some way for that, as i believe thats one of the last versions which is still unaffected right?

3.02 is already dumped - dump in this thread
Re: The Soundblaster DSP project

All SB with fw 1.xx, 2.xx, 3.xx do output in this 'hardware unassisted' way.

Reply 831 of 1051, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Maelgrum wrote on 2023-10-10, 16:39:

My idea is do this in SB/SB Pro way - not hardware assisted.

I'm unsure whether this will work at the expected quality. The SB/SBPro uses a classic R/2R-type DAC which is quite resistant to jitter. On the other hand, the SB16 uses an Sigma/Delta DAC (aka Delta/Sigma DAC), which requires to process samples exactly at the sample clock. This is why you should have a FIFO of depth 1 at least, so that the next sample for the DAC is always pre-fetched. This is implemented in the hardware-assisted way in the SB16 bus interface chip.

If you run without hardware assistance, the 8052 code is responsible for making sure that the DAC "FIFO" doesn't underflow, because otherwise... ...you will likely get "single cycle clicks". I wrote "FIFO" in quotes, because this is not the ~10 level DMA FIFO in the bus interface unit you usually think about when you say FIFO and SB16, but it's a single level "transmit hold register" in the parallel-to-serial converter in the bus interface unit that generates the DAC clock and the serial DAC data signal.

I am aware that the ADPCM code in fact does loop the sample data through the DSP, just as the SB/SB Pro did, but I don't know enough about it to be able to judge how the avoided the FIFO underflow risk there. Maybe they just tolerated it for ADPCM data, which is of mediocre quality anyway, or maybe the DAC and DSP clocks are sufficiently synchronized, such that the timer interrupt is phase locked with the DAC and you won't never miss the correct time to re-fill the transmit hold register.

Reply 832 of 1051, by Maelgrum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mkarcher wrote on 2023-10-10, 17:00:

I'm unsure whether this will work at the expected quality. The SB/SBPro uses a classic R/2R-type DAC which is quite resistant to jitter. On the other hand, the SB16 uses an Sigma/Delta DAC (aka Delta/Sigma DAC), which requires to process samples exactly at the sample clock. This is why you should have a FIFO of depth 1 at least, so that the next sample for the DAC is always pre-fetched. This is implemented in the hardware-assisted way in the SB16 bus interface chip.

Why not to implement 1 sample FIFO ? It is possible

If you run without hardware assistance, the 8052 code is responsible for making sure that the DAC "FIFO" doesn't underflow, because otherwise... ...you will likely get "single cycle clicks".

If it underflows, last output sample can be repeated, so no sudden level change in DAC will happen.
Clicking, as i suspect, is due setting of DAC output to 0000 during stopping of Bus control chip.

Reply 834 of 1051, by Maelgrum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
georgel wrote on 2023-10-10, 17:17:

Anyway 4.16/4.13 firmware plays without DMA clicking on all SBs with integrated DSP so this problem is not a matter of firmware but of hardware.

But we can replace fw only in discrete DSP

Reply 835 of 1051, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Maelgrum wrote on 2023-10-10, 16:13:
PSW bug - present in all versions of fw. In all interrupt handlers, PSW is not pushed and popped to/from stack. Any executing co […]
Show full quote

Any executing commands, which have JC, JNC, JZ, JNZ in code path, or any usage of carry (rrc, rlc, e.t.c.) can be affected.
But some non standard/not typical usage scenarios, this bug can affect command execution badly.

And in timer0_handler, R0 is spoiled in one path of execution, also in all present fw.

Solution:
PUSH PSW
POP PSW
in interrupt handlers

and
push rb0r0
pop rb0r0
in timer0_handler

My 8051 assembly is not good, but I don't see this push/pop of PSW in the ASM file you included in the most recent release of your modified firmware.

Reply 836 of 1051, by Maelgrum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote on 2023-10-10, 18:20:
Maelgrum wrote on 2023-10-10, 16:13:
PSW bug - present in all versions of fw. In all interrupt handlers, PSW is not pushed and popped to/from stack. Any executing co […]
Show full quote

Solution:
PUSH PSW
POP PSW
in interrupt handlers

and
push rb0r0
pop rb0r0
in timer0_handler

My 8051 assembly is not good, but I don't see this push/pop of PSW in the ASM file you included in the most recent release of your modified firmware.

That version was for testing Single Cycle DMA bug - is it solved or not. It is in no way 'release', only test build for single purpose only.
I am planning to release normal build, without modifications of logic (classic V4.13), just to fix all known bugs and optimize source code.

Reply 837 of 1051, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Maelgrum wrote on 2023-10-10, 17:08:

The issue I see is not implementing a FIFO (which is obviously possible), but synchronising the DSP, which runs at 24MHz with the Sigma/Delta DAC, which runs at 46.615 MHz from a different crystal. While you have the timer of the DSP, which was used as DAC time base on the SB and SB Pro, this time base is no longer synchronized to the conversion cycles of the DAC, that happen at an externally given rate. Do you get any feedback of the DAC rate (or "fill level" of the transmit register in the bus unit) back into the DSP?

Reply 838 of 1051, by Maelgrum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mkarcher wrote on 2023-10-10, 19:17:
Maelgrum wrote on 2023-10-10, 17:08:

The issue I see is not implementing a FIFO (which is obviously possible), but synchronising the DSP, which runs at 24MHz with the Sigma/Delta DAC, which runs at 46.615 MHz from a different crystal. While you have the timer of the DSP, which was used as DAC time base on the SB and SB Pro, this time base is no longer synchronized to the conversion cycles of the DAC, that happen at an externally given rate. Do you get any feedback of the DAC rate (or "fill level" of the transmit register in the bus unit) back into the DSP?

no timer should be used for the task, and timer is not needed,as ExtInt0 interrupt is synchronous to samplerate (triggered at samplerate speed)
you can simply output one sample per ExtInt0 interrupt

Reply 839 of 1051, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Maelgrum wrote on 2023-10-10, 19:25:

no timer should be used for the task, and timer is not needed,as ExtInt0 interrupt is synchronous to samplerate (triggered at samplerate speed)
you can simply output one sample per ExtInt0 interrupt

Thank you! That's the clue I was missing.