VOGONS

The Soundblaster DSP project

Topic actions

Reply 860 of 1053, by georgel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
LSS10999 wrote on 2023-10-11, 06:39:
If you overclock the MCU you need to adjust timer init values accordingly. Be it using faster crystal, or operating at faster mo […]
Show full quote
georgel wrote on 2023-10-11, 05:52:

For testing of theory that latency of DSP is related to single cycle DMA clicking why don't you overclock the DSP to some extent by replacing its crystal (the newer MCUs will even not be overclocked in relation to their maximum clock frequencies) or providing an external clock (from oscillator)? This maybe would change the playing sample rate but clicking would be noticed even then.

If you overclock the MCU you need to adjust timer init values accordingly. Be it using faster crystal, or operating at faster modes (such as 6T).

Otherwise UART-related features namely MIDI will end up in a wrong baudrate and not function.

The 1 or 2 NOPs in some routines may or may not be an issue with DSP operating faster than standard. Need testing.

MIDI/ UART is not needed for this test and I guess you know it.

Reply 861 of 1053, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
georgel wrote on 2023-10-11, 06:44:

MIDI/ UART is not needed for this test and I guess you know it.

I know. Just not sure how higher clock one could use. Most classic-complaint 8051 MCUs tend to max out at 30-35MHz, with higher operation performance achieved by using fewer clock cycles.

Some very modern 8051 MCUs have internal oscillator and even PLL, but PLCC44 packaging is quite dated and hardly used by modern ones.

Reply 863 of 1053, by Maelgrum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
georgel wrote on 2023-10-11, 07:03:

A frequency of 33MHz at which AT89S52 is guaranteed to work will do fine for the test I am proposing.

Previous test build of fw (with significantly lowered execution time of cmd 0x14 and End of block ExtInt1 interrupt) shows no audible difference on clicking (compared to classic 4.13).
I suspect that on stopping DMA playback, Bus interface chip sets output value of DAC to zero.
Then playback of new block started (via 0x14).
This short time between last sample of previous block and first sample of new block, then DAC zeroed, is heard as click.
[Edit] If some model of Bus interface chip doesn't do zeroing DAC value on stop, no clicks will be on this hw.
This all is only my assumptions, of course.

Reply 864 of 1053, by georgel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Maelgrum wrote on 2023-10-11, 09:28:
Previous test build of fw (with significantly lowered execution time of cmd 0x14 and End of block ExtInt1 interrupt) shows no au […]
Show full quote

A frequency of 33MHz at which AT89S52 is guaranteed to work will do fine for the test I am proposing.

Previous test build of fw (with significantly lowered execution time of cmd 0x14 and End of block ExtInt1 interrupt) shows no audible difference on clicking (compared to classic 4.13).
I suspect that on stopping DMA playback, Bus interface chip sets output value of DAC to zero.
This short time between last sample of previous block and first sample of new block, then DAC zeroed, is heard as click.
[Edit] If some model of Bus interface chip doesn't do zeroing DAC value on stop, no clicks will be on this hw.

This can be confirmed if a test program is made that outputs zeroes (or any other value if needed) consecutively with single cycle DMAs. If clicking is not heard then your theory is correct.

Last edited by georgel on 2023-10-11, 10:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 865 of 1053, by Maelgrum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
georgel wrote on 2023-10-11, 10:07:
Maelgrum wrote on 2023-10-11, 09:28:
Previous test build of fw (with significantly lowered execution time of cmd 0x14 and End of block ExtInt1 interrupt) shows no au […]
Show full quote

This can be confirmed if a test program is made that outputs zeroes (or any other byte if needed) consecutively with single cycle DMAs. If clicking is not heard then your theory is correct.

Can you write this test program?

Reply 866 of 1053, by Maelgrum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Testing utility done.
Command line arguments:
1 - play sine, with last sample of the block = 0xFF
2 - play sine, with last sample of the block = 0x01
3- play sine, with last sample of the block = 0x80
4 - play buffer, filled with 0xFF
5 - play buffer, filled with 0x00
6 - play buffer, filled with 0x80

Attachments

• Filename
    sbplay.zip
    File size
    15.79 KiB
    Downloads
    36 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 869 of 1053, by georgel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

1,2,3 play with clicking at the end of buffer I guess . 4,5,6 click at the beginning and no more. Tested on vibra16 and on CT3900 with discrete DSP. No difference. For me this sbplay.exe worked only under QEMM. Otherwise used to halt and produce no sound , nor console output. But the latter is not a problem since this was only for testing. So your theory is wrong. Clicks are due to something else.

Reply 870 of 1053, by kinkong

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tested sbplay on a CT3980 v4.13 unmodified

I had a similar experience to georgel with clicking in 1,2,3 on each cycle, and only clicking at beginning of 4,5,6

However I will also add that I could keep replaying either 4,5, or 6 with no clicking heard until I switched to a different argument

Last edited by kinkong on 2023-10-11, 20:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 871 of 1053, by Maelgrum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote on 2023-10-11, 19:39:

The only ones where I could clearly hear it were 1 and 4. And it didn't happen after every sample either only sometimes

Thanks for testing! )))
Strange that 2 and 5 not click.

Reply 874 of 1053, by Maelgrum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
georgel wrote on 2023-10-11, 20:21:
Maelgrum wrote on 2023-10-11, 20:10:

Thanks to all members for testing.
Results are mixed, and strange.

What tools are you using for debugging the DSP firmware?

Mind.
Pencil and paper.
Tea.

Disassemler - D52, code editor - visual Studio code, compiler - keil c51, but for _debugging_ - don't know any tools, except mentioned above))

Reply 875 of 1053, by georgel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Maelgrum wrote on 2023-10-11, 20:26:
Mind. Pencil and paper. Tea. […]
Show full quote
Maelgrum wrote on 2023-10-11, 20:10:

Thanks to all members for testing.
Results are mixed, and strange.

Mind.
Pencil and paper.
Tea.

Disassemler - D52, code editor - visual Studio code, compiler - keil, but for _debugging_ - don't know any tools, except mentioned above))

Too bad and inefficient. Here is my advice to you. But you need a contemporary computer. Use MAME, ct486 machine with SB16 LLE device that uses 4.13 firmware (you will figure how to replace it, after all initially your firmware came from MAME 😉 )and emulates DSP via 8052 code. The debugger can switch between several processors, including DSP. Everything is cycle counted and accurate too. The SB 16.cpp shows incomplete MIDI / port 33x emulation, but it is only matter of easy to you correction, and you no longer need that.

Reply 876 of 1053, by Maelgrum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
georgel wrote on 2023-10-11, 20:42:
Maelgrum wrote on 2023-10-11, 20:26:
Mind. Pencil and paper. Tea. […]
Show full quote

Mind.
Pencil and paper.
Tea.

Disassemler - D52, code editor - visual Studio code, compiler - keil, but for _debugging_ - don't know any tools, except mentioned above))

Too bad and inefficient. Here is my advice to you. But you need a contemporary computer. Use MAME, ct486 machine with SB16 LLE device that uses 4.13 firmware (you will figure how to replace it, after all initially your firmware came from MAME 😉 )and emulates DSP via 8052 code. The debugger can switch between several processors, including DSP. Everything is cycle counted and accurate too. The SB 16.cpp shows incomplete MIDI / port 33x emulation, but it is only matter of easy to you correction, and you no longer need that.

Thanks for advice! It's interesting tool.
Maybe with this powerful and efficient tool at your disposal, you can find some more bugs 😁
'52 command set is simple, and fw itself is simple, so, for me, simple tools like pen and paper is enough.
If needed, some simulator can be written, doing all I need the way I need.
With all respect to MAME team (they are great!), is desoldering of DSP and reading it with programmer a difficult task? Few minutes with right equipment and skills.
If they did it via decapping and optical capture - hats off then.

Reply 878 of 1053, by Maelgrum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote on 2023-10-12, 01:53:
Maelgrum wrote on 2023-10-11, 22:40:

is desoldering of DSP and reading it with programmer a difficult task?

yes, lock bits are a motherfucker

But it can be not locked))
S95Sedan dumped 4.04,
Malice dumped 3.02 and 4.05.
So it is possible, but requires some luck.

And 2.02 (?) dump by Eric (@TubeTimeUS).
Decapping chip, direct probing of chip signals, reading bit by bit from sense amplifier.
This is astonishing, hats off.

PS. With all my respect for work of @S95Sedan and @Malice

Reply 879 of 1053, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@TubeTimeUS actually reverse engineered it using die x-rays or some such imaging rather than dump it AFAIR?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.