VOGONS

First post, by Thraka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's from my gateway 486 case and I need more of them.

QpyQxoJ.jpg

Reply 2 of 15, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

frwmKMZl.jpg

If you can't find them, duplicate them. 😎

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 4 of 15, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Thraka wrote:

!!!!!!!!!! brilliant!

Took about 15 minutes or so. Yours will be a tad bit more difficult because of the L bracket for the screw, but since this is moldable you can just bend up the end while its cooling and then drill a hole through it.

This is well-duh directions:
Melt a bunch to make prep the mold, press in the original bracket and then let the mold cool. Melt additional plastic for your reproduction rails to put in your mold, and RIGHT before that plastic cools and hardens, press it into the mold. If you do it when the plastic is very hot, it'll adhere to your mold and ruin it. You might need to get a sharp knife to whittle-down the reproduction on the width because it'll be slightly larger, at least mine were.

Reply 6 of 15, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got mine on Amazon.com, though I'm sure there's plenty of other places that sell it.

Amazon Thermomorph

500 grams for ~$20, and that is A LOT of drive rails! I've made about 8 different kinds of hard-to-find drive rails, a ton of small toy figures for my kids and a bunch of fix-it parts for my house, and I still have over 1/2 the tub left. Super easy to use too! Just put a few of the beads in very hot water, watch them turn clear, then pull it out and mold it. Easy-peasy. You can remelt it too, so use it over and over and over....

Reply 7 of 15, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dogchainx wrote:

I got mine on Amazon.com, though I'm sure there's plenty of other places that sell it.

Amazon Thermomorph

500 grams for ~$20, and that is A LOT of drive rails! I've made about 8 different kinds of hard-to-find drive rails, a ton of small toy figures for my kids and a bunch of fix-it parts for my house, and I still have over 1/2 the tub left. Super easy to use too! Just put a few of the beads in very hot water, watch them turn clear, then pull it out and mold it. Easy-peasy. You can remelt it too, so use it over and over and over....

wait if hot water is hot enough to make it ready to remold with, wouldn't it then also get to hot sitting next to an optical or hard drive?

Reply 8 of 15, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dogchainx wrote:

Amazon Thermomorph

So, if you want to replicate a part, you first create a mold with it, and then make the new part in the mold with the same stuff?

Very interesting!

Reply 9 of 15, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
candle_86 wrote:
dogchainx wrote:

Amazon Thermomorph

wait if hot water is hot enough to make it ready to remold with, wouldn't it then also get to hot sitting next to an optical or hard drive?

VERY hot water. So 65-70 C, or ~150-160 F.

Not sure what hard drive, let alone optical drive, is going to get that hot unless you're running it out in the middle of the Sahara. I think most hard drives drives top out at 50 to 55 C operating temperature, which is still just way too hot for a hard drive.

Reply 10 of 15, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
oerk wrote:
dogchainx wrote:

Amazon Thermomorph

So, if you want to replicate a part, you first create a mold with it, and then make the new part in the mold with the same stuff?

Very interesting!

Yup. 😎 Worked great for my drive rails and a plastic clip I needed for a NAS case.

Reply 11 of 15, by Thraka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mine is on the way. @dogchainx have you tried putting plastic wrap in the mold to help separate the bracket? or will it just not adhere to it if it's not too hot, so you don't have to worry about that?

Reply 12 of 15, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Thraka wrote:

Mine is on the way. @dogchainx have you tried putting plastic wrap in the mold to help separate the bracket? or will it just not adhere to it if it's not too hot, so you don't have to worry about that?

The plastic only adheres to itself when its very hot, so it won't adhere much, if at all. You can make sure both parts are wet with water (which they should be anyways, because you'll be melting the plastic in very hot water), so the water wets the surface. The plastic remains malleable for a good amount of time, but gets to a point after about two minutes (depending upon temperature, etc,) where even though you can bend it, it won't form into a new shape. You'll want to put the plastic in the mold a little bit before that happens. Play around with it, you'll see what I mean.

Reply 13 of 15, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dogchainx wrote:
candle_86 wrote:
dogchainx wrote:

Amazon Thermomorph

VERY hot water. So 65-70 C, or ~150-160 F.

Not sure what hard drive, let alone optical drive, is going to get that hot unless you're running it out in the middle of the Sahara. I think most hard drives drives top out at 50 to 55 C operating temperature, which is still just way too hot for a hard drive.

I've had some drives run that hot before, a Raptor 36gb before it died was getting up to 85C

Reply 14 of 15, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dogchainx wrote:

The plastic only adheres to itself when its very hot, so it won't adhere much, if at all. You can make sure both parts are wet with water (which they should be anyways, because you'll be melting the plastic in very hot water), so the water wets the surface. The plastic remains malleable for a good amount of time, but gets to a point after about two minutes (depending upon temperature, etc,) where even though you can bend it, it won't form into a new shape. You'll want to put the plastic in the mold a little bit before that happens. Play around with it, you'll see what I mean.

Awesome! Thanks!

Reply 15 of 15, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
candle_86 wrote:

I've had some drives run that hot before, a Raptor 36gb before it died was getting up to 85C

If you have a hard drive going up to 85 C, you either have a seriously bad hard drive malfunction or you need to move it away from your home's blast furnace.