VOGONS

First post, by pojo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been testing a SBC I had in a drawer for a while. Finally got a ISA backplane for it, and it seems dead. 😠

Some things I've tested:
* Measuring voltage on the backplane (seems OK)
* Measuring voltage on the battery (dead)
* Tried some different jumpers on the card, especially one near the battery which may be CMOS reset. Looked after PC speaker header but haven't found any.
* Connected a floppy to see if it reads anything (it does not)
* Removed half the RAM and reseated all the modules
* Connected a LED to IDE HD header, no light though (-0.5V)

The backplane is a 8-slot backplane, I don't know if it matters what slot the SBC sits in, or what slot the graphics card sits in.

It's very difficult to find any information whatsoever about this card. On the back it is marked:

I-BUS 105-00210-00 REV C
D/D 105-00211-00 REV D

The only "clue" is one eBay listing with the same card, but with revision E. In the picture, that card had a jumper J10 set up in the corner near the jumper marked "reset". The pic is blurry, but I tried matching the jumpers. Nothing.

Any hints on what to try next is most appriciated!

Attachments

• ebay_rev_e.jpg
    Filename
    ebay_rev_e.jpg
    File size
    226.36 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • sbc4.jpg
    Filename
    sbc4.jpg
    File size
    1.52 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • sbc3.jpg
    Filename
    sbc3.jpg
    File size
    2.09 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • sbc2.jpg
    Filename
    sbc2.jpg
    File size
    816.53 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • sbc1.jpg
    Filename
    sbc1.jpg
    File size
    859.29 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 1 of 15, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Remove dead battery, look for signs of corrosion/leaking. If none connect a good battery.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 4 of 15, by pojo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, I'll get a new battery.

Found a PDF on my ISA backplane: http://support.elmark.com.pl/advantech/downlo … B2Eusernote.pdf

I have connected power to the screw terminal posts (TB1), but now I'm wondering if that is wrong?

Terminal block connector export +/-5V, +/-12V

What does export mean?

To me it looked like it was wired to the AT connector, but maybe I'm supposed to use the AT connector instead.

Reply 5 of 15, by pojo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I also found a PDF for a newer SBC by the same manufacturer, I-BUS. My board is not exactly the same layout but hopefully it will get me some hint as to were the PC speaker header is.

http://www.ibus.com/manuals/manual-orca.pdf

Reply 7 of 15, by pojo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I will have to check that.

I made some progress now, I measured directly on the ISA bus and saw that pin B3 (5V) was only about 4V. I had used 5V from a molex connector which was apparently a bad idea. I fixed that, and connected a PC speaker. I can hear sort of a faint click when I power it on, still no picture though.

What's worse is that I discovered that the OPTi 82C493B (chipset?) IC gets VERY hot immidiately on power-on. Maybe that IC is fried? 😢

The Cyrix CPU gets kind of lukewarm.

Reply 9 of 15, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

if it gets super hot immediately, its probably got a short somewhere

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 10 of 15, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I've hat the 'chip get hot' when the external CMOS battery was missing on some 386SX boards. In this case the chips were going into latch-up. Fortunately it was fixed by adding the battery.

1+1=10

Reply 11 of 15, by pojo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright, I hacked together a battery pack (three AA batteries), output was about 4V.

Still does not show any image, chip gets super hot. Hard to know where to start hunting for shorts.

One thing that I haven't tried yet is powering on without any RAM.

Reply 13 of 15, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do you have an ISA POST card? If there are any POST codes being broadcast then it would mean there's some life, it's just not managing to put anything on the screen. But the hot Opti chip doesn't sound good.

connected a PC speaker. I can hear sort of a faint click when I power it on

Is this happening at the instant you apply power, or is it happening some seconds later? If it's happening later then it might be a programmed beep, which means some code execution is taking place which would be encouraging. If it's happening at the moment you apply power it might just be electrical noise though.

Is there a datasheet out there for the Opti 493B chip? If so, you could try to find which pins provide the supply voltage and what that voltage is supposed to be. Odds are those ceramic caps next to the chip are in parallel with that supply, and could be used to measure that voltage while it's running. If you need to probe in a tight space, wrap tape around the probes.

I notice in the picture there are a couple of SIP components (one black, one red) plugged into a socket near the Opti chip. Have you been able to verify if those are installed correctly, or at least the same as the eBay listing you saw?

Reply 14 of 15, by pojo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@h-a-l-9000: The IC's near the RAM don't get hot, only the OPTi.

shamino wrote:

Do you have an ISA POST card? If there are any POST codes being broadcast then it would mean there's some life, it's just not managing to put anything on the screen. But the hot Opti chip doesn't sound good.

I was not aware of these POST cards, they look quite useful and really cheap too. I'll order one.

Is this happening at the instant you apply power, or is it happening some seconds later? If it's happening later then it might be a programmed beep, which means some code execution is taking place which would be encouraging. If it's happening at the moment you apply power it might just be electrical noise though.

At the time of power-on, so sadly I don't think it's from BIOS. The thing is I don't even know if I have connected it to the right header, just guessed on which would be the most likely.

Is there a datasheet out there for the Opti 493B chip? If so, you could try to find which pins provide the supply voltage and what that voltage is supposed to be. Odds are those ceramic caps next to the chip are in parallel with that supply, and could be used to measure that voltage while it's running. If you need to probe in a tight space, wrap tape around the probes.

Good idea, there are tantalum caps nearby on the back of the card too.

I notice in the picture there are a couple of SIP components (one black, one red) plugged into a socket near the Opti chip. Have you been able to verify if those are installed correctly, or at least the same as the eBay listing you saw?

I think this is a resistor pack, terminating the IDE bus or something? I honestly have no idea. They are not in the same place as the ebay listing.

Reply 15 of 15, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The board is 5V only. If tantalum caps were shorted you would get the *bang*, smoke or no power symptoms.
The socket above the OPTI chip appears to be for a cache module (checking the pin assignment in the datasheet). Try to remove the SIL resistors.

Also, did you try to remove the SIMMS yet?

1+1=10