VOGONS

A good use for an S3 Virge ?

Topic actions

First post, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have an S3 Virge with 2MB of video memory, it's the only PCI graphics card I have and yet I haven't found a good use for it… almost any AGP-less mobo I have has always a better built-in video chipset, for example my PCChips mobo which has a TNT2 with 24MB of video memory.

As much as I'd like to use it "just for the heck of it being PCI", it always turns me off due to it being a "sucker"…
Perhaps it'd do very well with 486-era 2D games… but what mobo would make it a good graphics card compared to its built-in video ?

Ah yes, I almost forgot… it has none of the extra memory chips that go in the brown squares on the right edge.

Currently assembled vintage computers I own: 11

Most important ones:
A "modded" Olivetti M4 434 S (currently broken).
An Epson El Plus 386DX running MS-DOS 6.22 (currently broken).
Celeron Coppermine 1.10GHz on an M754LMRTP motherboard

Reply 3 of 81, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ What they said. I have a PCI Virge (a 4MB Virge DX) in my P233MMX. It's compatible with everything, rock solid, and about as fast as you can get for a PCI framebuffer card for that system. Actually it's even good enough to make S3D "accelerated" DOS games acceptable. Not quick, but acceptable.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 4 of 81, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd be happy with just 2D games like One Must Fall anyway

Most important ones:

Reply 5 of 81, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Other than dos games, s3 virge is crap: only good use in 3d I found is Pod and Destruction Derby (dedicated releases).

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"

Reply 6 of 81, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, it's definitely not a 3D graphics card.
What I loved about that card is that when I used it in my Ultimate DOS PC, when I installed Windows 98 it got the gradients immediately 😁

Plug and Play for the win, I wish modern graphics cards were plug and play aswell...

Most important ones:

Reply 7 of 81, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, as others said and acording to some sources, the S3 ViRGE were one of the weakest 3D Acelerators of the history, it has very poor 3D perfomance, but is still gained popularity along OEMs due to the very good 2D perfomance compared to other high end 2D only cards mainly as a replacement of the 2D only Trio 64.

For 2D Windows games or DOS, S3 ViRGE is still a very good choice, the ViRGE would suit best with a fast PCI based 486 or a Pentium/Pentium MMX i think

just for curiosity, your S3 ViRGE is the ViRGE/325 model? i'm wondering since you said it has memory expansion slots probably like the older Trio 32/64 cards, something like this: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/common … H3D2000-top.JPG

i only own 2 S3 ViRGE cards, an S3 ViRGE/DX PCI 4 MB and a S3 ViRGE/GX2 AGP 4 MB (wasn't a true AGP card though), also have some S3 Trio3D/2X which are technically an upgraded version of the S3 ViRGE/GX2 with 128 bit bus.

My tip: Save this GPU as failback card or if you end getting a Pentium 1 system

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 8 of 81, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I haven't taken a photo of it yet, it's like the one in the middle here

569fffd34eba461293e032074945f960.png

But I have none of the chips that go in the brown sockets, they're all empty.

Most important ones:

Reply 9 of 81, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just wait until you find a motherboard old enough not to have AGP in any form (integrated graphics included). One day you'll stumble upon a nice Pentium or 486 and your Virge will be the only card you can test it with.

Reply 10 of 81, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Elia1995 wrote:
I haven't taken a photo of it yet, it's like the one in the middle here […]
Show full quote

I haven't taken a photo of it yet, it's like the one in the middle here

569fffd34eba461293e032074945f960.png

But I have none of the chips that go in the brown sockets, they're all empty.

Is very likely a ViRGE/325 since it uses the same RAM as the Trio64. Btw, i have the same AGP ViRGE/GX2 as the photo

Reply 11 of 81, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Speaking from personal experience, when I bought a Pentium 166 MMX in 1997, I paired that system with an S3 Virge DX card, but was very disappointed with its 3D performance.
In retrospect, my budget was a bit tight back then and I couldn't yet afford an expensive 3dfx Voodoo card. However, in 1998, I saved up enough money and bought a Creative Voodoo Banshee PCI card, which ran quite nicely in my Pentium 1 system.

I'm in agreement with the earlier comments made in this thread - it's a crap 3D card, but is a very nice 2D card for late 486 PCI or Pentium 1 based systems. I would hang onto it, even if you have no use for it now.

Reply 12 of 81, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jesolo wrote:

Speaking from personal experience, when I bought a Pentium 166 MMX in 1997, I paired that system with an S3 Virge DX card, but was very disappointed with its 3D performance.
In retrospect, my budget was a bit tight back then and I couldn't yet afford an expensive 3dfx Voodoo card. However, in 1998, I saved up enough money and bought a Creative Voodoo Banshee PCI card, which ran quite nicely in my Pentium 1 system.

I'm in agreement with the earlier comments made in this thread - it's a crap 3D card, but is a very nice 2D card for late 486 PCI or Pentium 1 based systems. I would hang onto it, even if you have no use for it now.

But the VIrge DX wasn't more oriented for late Pentium MMX that previous? I bet it'd speed up a Pentium 0,60u or a 486 but it sound more a 97/98 low budjet card.

Reply 14 of 81, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
386SX wrote:

Did a S3 Virge (original) exist on ISA ever? Which was the last S3 ISA card?

I have my doubts but there are plenty of choices for isa especially for those with deep pockets, S3 made a number of really good VLB cards though and the pci S3 cards are often dirt cheap provided you avoid the greed when shopping on eBay. Look for lots and items where the seller isn't sure what he or she has or has made a mistake where the item is mislisted.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 15 of 81, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
386SX wrote:

But the VIrge DX wasn't more oriented for late Pentium MMX that previous? I bet it'd speed up a Pentium 0,60u or a 486 but it sound more a 97/98 low budjet card.

When I bought a desktop pc with p200 mmx, I found a virge dx 4mb in it.

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"

Reply 16 of 81, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
386SX wrote:

Yes, it was a low budget card, but as I said, my budget was a bit tight back then 😀

Reply 17 of 81, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, another use for the ViRGE can be as 2D card to be paried with 3Dfx Voodoos

Reply 19 of 81, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think Putas' homepage is also worth mentioning because it fits this thread's topic so well.

http://vintage3d.org/virge.php

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//