VOGONS

First post, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi there !

I have recently bought a Voodoo 2 12MB made by metabyte (I don't know if they made other voodoo 2 other than the "wicked 3D", but mine is probably one of them) in a flea market, and I had already since a few month a voodoo 2 12MB made by creative. So I tried to put them in SLI, but as you have probably guessed, it doesn't work ... wich is a bit strange since metabyte claimed that their card was able to do SLI with other brand's cards. I've tried many things : last drivers from 3Dfx + "mismatched SLI" driver (the only combination that made the computer able to detect 16MB of texture memory in addition of the SLI 1467657053-bureau.png), but when I run a game, it has a "scanline" effect (wich means that one of the two cards ins't providing the picture) even though, when I'm making a screenshot, you don't have that effect wich means that both cards are working (and both cards are working separately) here is for example half life :
1467657260-c0a00001.png

Then I tried the fastvoodoo drivers and the "mismatched SLI" driver, but now the computers is still detecting the SLI, but it only has 8MB of texture memory ... 1467667072-bureau2.png

I also tried to use metabyte's drivers (maybe I did it wrong though), but same results that with the fastvoodoo drivers 😒

Did I do something wrong or are these two cards definitely incompatible ? (wich is strange since the creative card was a well known card back then. There is just one little thing : the creative card is from late 1998/early 1999 according to it's chips whereas the metabyte is from mid 1998. Also, I made the SLI cable myself, but since the SLI is detected and is somewhat working because I can make screenshots, I don't think that I made it wrongly)

Thanks in advance !

Last edited by Deksor on 2016-07-14, 18:21. Edited 4 times in total.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 1 of 12, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is why I never tried to do miss matched sli and both cards need to have the same amount of memory, 12mb V2 + 8mb V2 = no go
If you are crazy and know how to work with electronics you can do a mod where you add some additional memory to the 8mb card provided you either found another bricked v2 to salvage from or another source of the correct memory. If you are crazy enough you can go beyond 12mb on the V2 but only by upgrading the memory on the TMUs.

There was a buy on another 3dfx forum who modded several V1 and V2 era cards to have extra memory while another modded VSA era cards to max specs.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 2 of 12, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No, both cards have 12MB, but they just do not want to work in SLI 😒 (I found with the metabyte another creative with only 8MB though, but I don't want to damage any of my cards)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 3 of 12, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

First screenshot actually implies SLI is working fine. I seem to remember the "scanline" effect you're talking about, but can't quite remember what is causing it, it's been a while since I've played with Voodoo2 cards.

What's the rest of your system like? You can benchmark a game or 3DMark and find out if SLI is working properly very easily.

Reply 5 of 12, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorry for the late answer, I'm a bit busy now (someone sent me a 486 board for free, but my post office is completely broken actually, and so they said that they delivered it to me last saturday when it's not, blablabla ... 😢 ) but anyway this has nothing to do with this topic. So I tried 3Dmark99, but it doesn't allow me to use my 3dfx card at all, it's like they weren't there at all : 1468416067-3dmarknvidia2.png Did I do something wrong with 3dmark99 ?

Then I also tried to activate vsync, so I had to install 3Dfx tools, and guess what ? now it detects 8MB of Total Texture Memory again 🙁

Also here how the "scanline effect" is looking like : 1468416372-img-20160713-150316.jpg

1468416401-img-20160713-150318.jpg

1468416405-img-20160713-150800.jpg

So it just looks like if I did this : 1468416741-c0a00004.png

My system configuration is :
Pentium 2 400MHz
128MB of RAM
AGP gpu : Nvidia riva 128
Of course the mismatched sli of voodoo 2 12MB
A yamaha YMF724 based sound card
A 3com ethernet card
4GB HDD
And also the motherboard was made by octek and it showcases an i440BX chipset

Reply 6 of 12, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd check the SLI cable with a multimeter first.

Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 7 of 12, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
psychz wrote:

I'd check the SLI cable with a multimeter first.

Well I didn't do that because the 3Dfx drivers were detecting 16MB of ram, so I thought that I had no issues with the SLI cable. But when I checked it with my multimeter, some pins weren't connected.

And now, my SLI actually works 😁
Thanks !

(the fact that the metabyte was guarantished to be able to SLI with any other voodoo 2 card and that it didn't work with another very common card was odd to me, apparently it was a good idea to search further !)

And again, thank you very much !

Reply 8 of 12, by falloutboy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Great you fixed your problem!
One question I have:
Do you have the original Metabyte driver CD for your Voodoo2 card?
That would allow you to use Metabytes great driver features, such as the "resolution override". With this you can force older glide games to run in higher resolutions!
Games that usually run only in 640x480 should be able to work with 1024x672 on a single Voodoo2 and 1024x1024 with SLI when using this drivers.
I think it only works with games that use glide2x. Need for Speed 2 SE should work with this drivers in 1024x672 on a single Voodoo2!
The original driver CD is requiered for the Metabyte driver updates.

Reply 9 of 12, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

sadly, nope 😢

I may find one, one day ...

But anyway, my SLI is working and that is the most important thing, and I only paid ~20€ for it ^^ (as I said, I got the metabyte at a flea market and I got the other one for cheap on the internet)

Reply 10 of 12, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@Deksor: Nice to see you solved it, have fun with your extra fps! Your PC (p2 400/128mb/4gb hdd) reminds me of what I had back in the day, bar the 3dfx goodness 😁 (I did have a virge decelerator for my gaming needs though!!!)
@falloutboy: Are those Metabytes-specific options only? Any chance to get this functionality on other V2 cards?

Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 11 of 12, by falloutboy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@psychz
As far as I know it should work with every Voodoo2 card with Metabyte drivers installed.
Metabyte had also 3d glasses called "Metabyte eyeSCREAM 2000", if you have the drivers for it installed it should also work. I personally don't have any Metabyte products nor driver cd's. 😢 Metabyte's Voodoo Banshee called "Metabyte Wicked3D Vengeance" can do this as well. Original driver cd for that one is available here.
http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=368&menustate=0
This older driver should install on every Voodoo2 card without asking for the original cd. http://www.3dfxzone.it/monitor/am/go.asp?url=104
But it's a quite old version I think.

@Deksor
Back in 1999 I tried a floppy cable on my Voodoo2 card's as a SLI bridge. SLI was detected, but the colors were totally wrong 🤣

Reply 12 of 12, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, in fact I'm still having one major issue 😢
Every glide/opengl app is working properly, but directx 7 doesn't seem to work with my cards ... Every single DX7 game that I'm trying doesn't do anything when I choose the 3dfx mode (and they aren't showing any video mode either). Even when I'm desactivating the sli, or by using the fastvoodoo drivers, DX7 doesn't work ...

Edit : It was because I didn't install directx 7 duh 🤣