VOGONS

First post, by pojo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had some problems with Lucasarts games so I swapped my P3 for an early Pentium II @ 266. This solved the issue with Adlib sound not working in these games.

It seems the CPU is locked at multiplier, at least I can't get it going at 233MHz. Is it worth going for the slowest Celeron, for DOS games compability reasons?

Reply 1 of 4, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Could you give us any more info about the hardware you are using, like motherboard model number and such?

Most 266MHz P2s should be able to have its multiplier set downward, but it can be cumbersome to do it this way.

There's also the option to build a time-machine (Super Socket 7 with a K6-X+ mobile and there has been some experimentation with using VIA's C3 as these can be downclocked using software and its hardware can be easier to work with).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 4, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I thought the multiplier was unlocked on most of the early P2s... Look into using moslow or some other software based slow down utility.
As for building a 486 be ready to spend if you are looking at building from scratch as complete systems are getting to be really hard to find now days let alone at a low price. Socket 7 is the way to go for Dos on a budget.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 4 of 4, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pojo wrote:

Is it worth going for the slowest Celeron, for DOS games compability reasons?

The only thing you have to ask yourself is: are there specific games older than that which you have a genuine interest in running, and that you can't bear to run in DOSBox for some reason?

Back in the day I found that Runtime Error 200 started to kick in right around 266 MHz, but I found programs that gave that error would still start up after a few tries. Runtime Error 200 is pretty trivial to patch anyway.

Sierra games (Space Quest 1 VGA springs readily to mind) can get touchy, but I'm pretty sure there are patches for those.