VOGONS

First post, by bluejeans

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Looking at playing doom at 386 or 486 speed. I'm going to do this once I get my hands on one as an experiment, just wondering how it would also go for things in general.

Reply 3 of 9, by bluejeans

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ratfink wrote:

Will the ISA card work at all in a p3 motherboard?

I have a p2 350 with isa slots if it doesn't, will be interesting to find out. I've bought about eight different sound cards because I recall having one with midi better than OPL3, but not as good as wavetable.

Reply 7 of 9, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

In general the 8-bit ISA VGA cards are very old and the BIOS was not tested with fast CPUs as they just didn't exist. I have quite a few models and some don't work on Pentium2-class boards. No problem if you have a variety - but if you have to buy one from Ebay and find it doesn't work there will be disappointment.

Also keep in mind that it will only slow down the drawing routines of a game. Other time-critical functions that may exist, such as badly implemented soundblaster presence check or game logic will not be slowed.

1+1=10

Reply 8 of 9, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't have any 8-bit ISA VGA cards any more so I can't test it. But the question was ISA and I can say for 16-bit ISA cards.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs