VOGONS

First post, by xboingx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there,

I'm facing another problem with my Batman's Revenge motherboard. I set up the system and all worked well, unfortunately the day after the final setup the RTC battery failed. It was a Dallas DS12887 soldered to the motherboard. After some consideration I decided to rework it in place without desoldering. That of course was a bad idea.

First I tried to use a very sharp knife to cut to the pins, but it didn't work so well so I used very small saw to cut of the top of the chip. It worked well, but than on the closer look I noticed that the first attempts using the knife left some cuts on the board.

The reworked chip works, when I start the system I get info about wrong date and time, press F1 and then the cursor disappears and the computer freezes. When I pres ESC I can boot using floppy successfully. I checked the RTC with other motherboard, I also tried to use different working chip. On the other host I can enter CMOS setup and store settings without any problems.

On this motherboard I cannot, the system hard locks as soon as it tries to enter BIOS setup. Without that I cannot set proper parameters for my harddrive (it's to big to be detected and the system hangs with it, I'm using ez-drive on it). Starting from the floppy allows the system to start, all seems to work correctly, all memory is detected, the display is ok, I managed to backup, reflash and verify the BIOS without any errors. However the computers hardlocks as soon as it enters the BIOS setup.

I did continuity test on all damaged paths using a multimeter. It beeps every time so I assume the paths are ok. Using a magnifying glass I can see that the coating is damaged but the paths look ok so I assume the communication between the chip and the computer should work.

Any ideas what can be done? I my try to add secondary paths using a wires soldered to mounting points to make sure that all the paths are connected.

Testing of the motherboard is quite troublesome as I need to desolder the socket for the chip to be able to see the paths and nearest soldering points or passages to the other side of the board when I can attach a multimeter or add some cables.

Could it be that this was only a coincidence? Could I damage something else in the process? I'm fairly sure I didn't damage anything else.

Any advice will be appreciated. Socket 4 boards are quite hard to find in my country for a reasonable price and this one works well minus the CMOS setup.

Reply 1 of 29, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The onboard ide controller on this board is cancer and you are better off using a raid card, check the traces on the board and make sure that nothing is cut. Socket 4 boards are crazy rare 😒

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 5 of 29, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wouldn't recommend doing anything you aren't sure about. Having screwed up some similar projects myself, I'd save that as an absolute last resort. If continuity is okay, the traces should be fine.

Check the board front and back for any bits of dust, solder or anything else that could have gotten stuck to the board while you were working on it. I've had a single carpet fiber stuck to the back of a board prevent it from booting.

I can't count how many devices I've fixed by simply going over the back of the board with a tooth brush.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 6 of 29, by xboingx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unfortunately it did not help. It's driving me nuts, everything works except entry to CMOS. It even detected a small HDD and started a system from it... I just cannot get into bios to set date and time and manually set my bigger HDD.

Reply 7 of 29, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does it have a built-in CMOS utility at all ?
The original PC/AT required a setup floppy, for example.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 29, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jo22 wrote:

Does it have a built-in CMOS utility at all ?
The original PC/AT required a setup floppy, for example.

It does, got two batman boards and as hightreason has said these boards are a pain in the ass. These boards are very strange even the serial ports are not standard on some of them. OP should be able to change the date and time in windows, as for wanting to use a bigger drive op might have to resort to some tricks.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 9 of 29, by xboingx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes it has a CMOS utility and I used it before. When the battery died I could still enter the setup, but the settings were not saved (which is to be expected). I then left the system for about 2 weeks, reworked the RTC and the problem occurred - hard lock upon entering the setup. So far nothing works, I cleaned the board, replace the chip, changed ram, removed unused hardware. I can boot the system using small hdd with no problems, can flash and backup the bios. The default settings loaded after battery removal also seems to be correct and persistent.

Once the system asked me for a password, but it did not occur again.

And yes, the CMOS utility is very limited, it does not show deteced CDROM's, the settings are very limited, support for large HDD's is also very poor.

Reply 10 of 29, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xboingx wrote:

I then left the system for about 2 weeks, reworked the RTC and the problem occurred - hard lock upon entering the setup. So far nothing works, I cleaned the board, replace the chip, changed ram, removed unused hardware. I can boot the system using small hdd with no problems, can flash and backup the bios. The default settings loaded after battery removal also seems to be correct and persistent.

Once the system asked me for a password, but it did not occur again.

Aha! So the issues started after the RTC had been changed ?
Maybe the CMOS contains nonse data the BIOS utility can'te cope with.
I had a similar issue with an old laptop - Its LCD always went dark after boot up.
It was no hardware failure, though. The BIOS utility always showed a low brightness setting and changes weren't saved.
Other settings were not affected. After I cleared the CMOS everything was fine again. 😀

I've attached this utility for you, in case you want to give it a try.

Attachments

• Filename
    cmoscls.zip
    File size
    91.53 KiB
    Downloads
    119 downloads
    File comment
    CMOSCLS v2.1
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 11 of 29, by xboingx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

IT WORKS!

Your utility did not work however it pointed me into the right direction. I found 2 small utilities for 286/386 computers that allows bios setup from MSDOS. I cannot tell which one actually worked, I think that GSETUP, as I run it first.

When run It showed some strange dates and times like 84th of 67th month of year 21312932197. After setting correct date using GSetup (and than confirming it with the other utility) I could enter the BIOS!

I have found the utilities at http://ibm-pc.org/utilities/system/system.htm. I also attach them for future usage if any one is facing the problem.

All in all it really made the memory contents bogus and the system panicked. Funny thin is that in other computer the chip worked perfectly. Thank you all for help!

Attachments

• Filename
    setupnu.zip
    File size
    11.57 KiB
    Downloads
    143 downloads
    File comment
    Another 286,386 Generic BIOS Setup Program
    File license
  • Filename
    GSETUP.zip
    File size
    24.29 KiB
    Downloads
    168 downloads
    File comment
    286,386 Generic BIOS Setup Program
    File license

Reply 14 of 29, by Katmai500

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know this is an old post, but I just want to say thank you to xboingx. I had the exact issue with my Premier/PCI (Batman's Revenge) not entering the CMOS setup and freezing. I used the GSETUP utility to set the date, restarted, and now I'm in the CMOS setup! 😁

Now I need to repair that Dallas DS12887.

Photos for fun! 🤣

Attachments

• BatmansRevenge_1.jpg
    Filename
    BatmansRevenge_1.jpg
    File size
    420.61 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • BatmansRevenge_2.jpg
    Filename
    BatmansRevenge_2.jpg
    File size
    167.76 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 17 of 29, by Katmai500

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dionb wrote:
jmarsh wrote:

I think that heatsink requires an explanation.

Know what's rarer than an So4 board? A decent So4 heatsink 😜

Bingo! I think I have an Dell OEM socket 4 heatsink somewhere, but couldn't find it, so this Pentium 4 era Dell heatsink did the trick for a quick test of the board.

Reply 18 of 29, by Robert B

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@xboingx - THANKS xboingx!!!! 😁 😁 😁 The GSETUP utility saved my A$$ too. Thanks for uploading it!

PRW-P60-01.jpg PRW-P60-02.jpg PRW-P60-03.jpg PRW-P60-04.jpg PRW-P60-05.jpg

Now my Batman has got back its wings! 😁 The P60 was saved from getting recycled.