VOGONS

First post, by Nipedley

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey guys

I'm trying to upgrade the CPU on my ASUS P3B-F Rev 1.04 (upgraded to latest BIOS), from a P3 450 Slot 1 to a Tualatin Celeron 1.4 (100MHz fsb)

The board is coppermine compatible, and I'm using a GA-6R7PR S370 adapter which is also coppermine compatible, but I can't get any CPUs to boot in it. I've tried a P3-S Tualatin 1.4 (pin modded), the Tualatin Celeron 1.4 (also pin modded), and a regular P3 1GHz and every time, there's no life in it at all. Power is on but nobody is home.

The GA-6R7PR S370 adapter looks brand new, I've made the correct jumper settings for the vcore and FSB on it. I've tried my board both using jumper/dipswitch settings to set multiplier and FSB and using JumperFree, but it won't boot. If I chuck a Slot 1 CPU back in, it works absolutely fine.

Could the Gigabyte GA-6R7PR be incompatible somehow with my ASUS P3B-F board? Unfortunately I don't have any other S370 adapters to test, and they're not easy to come by these days 🙁

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Reply 1 of 10, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bought a similar one (GA-6R7+ as I recall) back in the day when I wanted to upgrade the CPU on my Slot 1 motherboard, but could also not get my Socket 370 CPU to work with the adaptor.
However, it's possible that my motherboard (or BIOS) was simply not compatible with the CPU. I still have my adaptor, but never bothered to test it with another Slot 1 motherboard.

An alternative is to test the adaptor in another Slot 1 motherboard (if you have another one), as opposed to try and test another adaptor on this motherboard?
That way, you will know whether it's the motherboard or the adaptor that is causing the problem.

Reply 2 of 10, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have you tried the 1GHz Coppermine (or some other socket-370 coppermine) on the adapter clocked at 66-100FSB, or only at 133? The Celeron 1.4GHz was 100FSB but it's adding the additional issue of being a Tualatin, so testing a 66-100FSB coppermine would simplify the situation a bit more. Remember that for various reasons 133 doesn't always work on 440BX boards (though the success rate on later boards like yours is good).

If the slocket adapter has "auto" settings for the Vcore/FSB (ie a mode that simply passes through whatever VID/FSB is coming from the 370 chip) I'd try that and let the motherboard handle changing those values if needed.

Reply 3 of 10, by Nipedley

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the replies guys

I tested a P3 1GHz at 100FSB and the intended Celeron 1.4 at 100FSB, this time I tried using auto on the vCore and still absolutely nothing 🙁

I guess this adapter just isn't compatible with my board for some reason. Just trying to find this one was no easy feat though. Does anyone have an unused slocket they'd be willing to spare, or know where I could get one? It sounds like the ASUS S370-DL would be my best bet, as ASUS recommended it for the board.

In the meantime, I'm stuck using my slot 1 P3 450, which is much more capable than I'd expected (came with the board, and wasn't expecting to use it at all)

Reply 4 of 10, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have the same board (two actually) as you have, and since I can't find an S370-DL or any ASUS branded slotket, I put MSI MS-6905 on my shopping list. They are still on sale if you look around on ebay (make sure you get the version 2.x ones). They have been reported to work with ASUS boards. See: http://www.mrufer.ch/pc/tualatin_e.html

I plan to try either a 1.1GHz Coppermine or a Tualatin-S 1400 sometime, but In the meantime I have P3 800EB which is alright so I'm not in hurry.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 5 of 10, by Nipedley

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep an eye out for one. I couldn't find any on eBay, only one I could find listed currently was on Amazon US (I'm in the UK) which was $90 just for shipping, so not an option sadly!

Reply 6 of 10, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well that's strange, I remember recently it was still available in volume:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Stuck-MS-6905-Maste … P-/322149798293
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MSI-MS-6905-MS6905-MS … U-/322151253370

I'll contact the seller and ask about it, hopefully it's just a matter of relisting the item.

This might be from the same seller, but on amazon DE:
https://www.amazon.de/MSI-MS-6905-Master-V2-X … r/dp/B008EHTP0C

UPDATE:
The seller has replied (same name as on the amazon DE listing) and said "yes on stock". I'm going to buy the lot of 3 myself once it's re-listed. 😀

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 7 of 10, by jnemo2004

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Good morning (here, in Spain). I just bought an adapter but it has a jumper (in the picture, in the left side) and I don´t what to do. Can somebody help? Thank you very much

Attachments

Reply 8 of 10, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jnemo2004 wrote on 2023-01-06, 09:42:

Good morning (here, in Spain). I just bought an adapter but it has a jumper (in the picture, in the left side) and I don´t what to do. Can somebody help? Thank you very much

I might be completely wrong and you shouldn't trust me on this, but as far as I see it one of the jumper's trace ends in pin B21 which is described with "100/66# MHz". So I think that jumper defines what FSB the CPU wants