VOGONS

First post, by alex_theman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alt title: I am a idiot.
So I did this while repairing a intel white box system that had a dead psu. Somehow it hasn't failed yet. I am guessing:

• I somehow won the cap lottery
  • The PSU is underloaded and isn't rippling bad enough for the i440bx to release its magic smoke.

Proof:(You may need to zoom out a little.)
buc72jP.jpg

So what psu should I replace it with that I can buy for less than 20 dollars used on ebay that won't be worse?

Reply 1 of 8, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So what's the problem? That's a Slot-1 motherboard and the fastest slot-1 CPU (Pentium-II @ 450 Mhz) only uses about 36 watts. Even a crappy power supply can handle that with no issues. If it runs, why bother replacing it?

Reply 2 of 8, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The problem with that model of Bestec is the deadly 5V SB rail. Running load has nothing to do with it.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 3 of 8, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:

The problem with that model of Bestec is the deadly 5V SB rail. Running load has nothing to do with it.

I'm guessing I'm oblivious here but what does that have to do with anything? I've connected numerous "no name" random chinese power supplies with a +5v SB rail to many older motherboards that pre-dated the P4 power connector.... I've yet to ever witness any issues what so ever with this setup.... Is this something unique to "Bestec" power supplies?

Reply 4 of 8, by alex_theman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kithylin wrote:

So what's the problem? That's a Slot-1 motherboard and the fastest slot-1 CPU (Pentium-II @ 450 Mhz) only uses about 36 watts. Even a crappy power supply can handle that with no issues. If it runs, why bother replacing it?

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDR … =Story&reid=154
Basically, this thing is legendary for +5V rail voltage spikes and killing mobos with the awful +5vsb rail, which lacks short protection and the regulation is poor at best (the rail is a double transistor switcher +capacitor, and if the cap fails, the system, but not the psu, dies.) It depends on when the shoddy caps failed or not. While it hasn't killed the i440-bx-2 yet, I don't want to put a ticking time bomb into an okay retro system. Even if the i440bx system doesn't use the +5vsb rail, I still wouldn't trust such a pile of garbage.

Reply 5 of 8, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember working at a repair shop years ago and we got in plenty of those economy systems from walmart (forget brand) and the bestec psu would always take out the motherboard when it died.

EDIT:

I should mention not every Bestec power supply does this. They build to a quality level that the particular OM wants to spend for that particular series they are being ordered for. I wish I could remember the name of the cheap computer company that had the cheapest Bestecs in them that constantly did this.

Gateway 2000 Case and 200-Watt PSU
Intel SE440BX-2 Motherboard
Intel Pentium III 450 CPU
Micron 384MB SDRAM (3x128)
Compaq Voodoo3 3500 TV Graphics Card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Western Digital 7200-RPM, 8MB-Cache, 160GB Hard Drive
Windows 98 SE

Reply 8 of 8, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sorry, I think it was eMachines. This might have been after Acer bought them, but I can't remember.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder