VOGONS

First post, by magicmanred

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have two different systems with SB Live! PCI Sound cards on Windows 98SE.
They both have the same issues in titles such as Viper Racing and Quake 3 Arena.

Issue #1
The best I can explain this issue is that whenever there are multiple sound effects played at one time, a sort of distortion happens.

Issue #2
In Quake.. certain weapons when fired sound like they are far away. But other sounds are loud, present and near.

To my knowledge, EAX is off and the speaker setting I have is "2 Speaker". I've tried the most recent drivers I could find of the Live! card.
Issue #2 almost sounds like a center channel is enabled that is supposed to be playing those particular sounds loudly that are coming through on my speakers faintly.

One machine has the SB Live! front panel interface.
When I plug in the headphones in the front, I get the same issues.
When I plug headphones in the rear of either computer, I get the same issues.
Both SB Live! cards are different models.
The one with the interface is the SB0060 and the other one is CT4780.
The SB0060 was a bit picky with drivers and some wouldn't play sound at all, but in the end both "work" but both have the same issue which leads me to believe it may be driver or software setting related.

Googling these problems have proved to be difficult as it is hard to phrase the issue in such a way that would produce results. (Unless I just don't know how to word the issue).

I'm not looking to replace these sound cards with anything else.
Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Reply 2 of 5, by magicmanred

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

One motherboard is the Gigabyte GA-5AX rev 5.2 with Ali chipset.
Brief specs:
K6 III+ 450 @ 600Mhz. 120fsb
256mb PC133Mhz CL2 Ram
Voodoo 3500 AGP

Other is the Asus TUSL2 with Intel chipset.
Brief specs:
PIIIS Tualatin 1.4Ghz 512k Cache @ 1.6ghz. 150fsb
512mb PC133Mhz CL2 Ram
Voodoo 5500 AGP

Both machines do not have the issues in Windows 2000 Pro.

Reply 3 of 5, by magicmanred

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Problems solved.

I downloaded pretty much all of the SB Live drivers found here on vogons.

Oddly enough, for the CT4780... downloading the SB0220 drivers from this page worked (Sound Blaster Live! Install SB0220):
https://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fil … 809&menustate=0

I first cleanly removed all "creative" INF files in the Windows\INF folder as well as the Windows\INF\Other folder.

I rebooted and when it asked me to supply drivers for detected hardware, I hit cancel until I got into windows (skipping the sound card and gameport as well as SB16 emulation apparently).

I then went into the Device manager, right clicked on the detected PCI audio device to update drivers and pointed it to the folder:
SB_INSTALL\Audio\Drivers\98SE_ME

When it asked for a couple of other files that the 0220 CD didn't have (for gameport and SB16 Emulation), I downloaded the "Sound Blaster Live! Install (VXD 4.05.1026) CD" found here:
https://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fil … 659&menustate=0
and opened up a command prompt and did a "dir (filename)/s/p" in the alternate SB Live Install CD and directed the Device Manager there.
If the gameport says anything other than "Creative Gameport Joystick" you shouldn't install the driver. If it says anything like EMU10K, it may not work as that driver may be for another model gameport. I tested everything possible on these drivers. If you can't get it to detect as "Creative Gameport Joystick" for this particular model... try removing the INF files that have to do with the gameport and remove the device from device manager... refresh the device manager and force it to see the INF file that is more compatible.

Once all devices were installed and provided driver files, rebooted... ran Quake 3 Arena & Viper Racing and presto. Sound issues gone.

For the SB0060, the SB0220 CD worked without having to hunt down any additional files from other SB Live install CD's.
The SB Live Install CD (non SB0220) is apparently a SB Live! "Value" CD. Which indeed is the CT4780. Just thought I'd point that out for people that know they have the Value card... because the CD isn't labeled as such on the vogons drivers page which I supplied the link for.

What a PITA this all was.

Hope it helps someone down the line in the future with vintage builds and sound issues. The sound card is great... there are just a mess of versions and driver versions out there.

Last edited by magicmanred on 2016-07-19, 00:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 5, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's really nice that you post the solution so that others can search the issue and find help!

Thanks 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 5 of 5, by magicmanred

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

It's really nice that you post the solution so that others can search the issue and find help!

Thanks 😀

For all the help I've got out of reading forums... it's the least that I could do. 😀