Filename
IMG_0083[1].JPG
File size
2.26 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking here for years, but never had a reason to post until now. I hope this is the appropriate forum category to post this.

I just picked up a Compaq slot 1 motherboard on ebay because I wanted to build a machine to use a Celeron 366 chip since 1999. This board is desirable because it has AGP and ISA slots so I can have accelerated video in Windows 95/98 and also play DOS games with an ISA sound card. I'm unable to get the machine to post and hope someone might have some knowledge about why.

This board has a 440BX chipset. The Celeron chip is Socket 370 and I have the Slot 1 adapter card that worked last I tried it (15 years ago). The chip has a locked multiplier, and 366 is a clock speed that is not listed in the list of speeds that can be configured by the DIP switches on the board. The motherboard manual says it can auto-configure some chips, but it doesn't say which chips will do that, or if it needs a BIOS upgrade to do that.

Another culprit is the selecton of SDRAM modules I have. I have 3 different DIMMs, 2 are PC133 and 1 is PC100, and all are 256MB in size. According to the wikipedia and various forums, the 440BX doesn't support 256Mbit chips on DIMMs. The PC100 module I have has 16 chips, so I believe these chips are compatible, but perhaps 256MB is too big or that this motherboard just doesn't support it?

I suspect that the processor works because when the machine powers with no memory in the slot, I get a speaker beep pattern like I remember they do when there is no RAM, but when there is a module in a slot, I get nothing. I've tried all the RAM slots and have tried all the different multiplier settings from the DIP switches with no success.

I'm considering buying a Pentium II chip that I know this board supports and/or some smaller capacity DIMMs just to get it running, but I'd really love to use this Celeron chip since it holds sentimental value for me -- I bought it new when I was in High School. Slot 1 motherboards with both ISA and AGP are insanely expensive on ebay, so I'd be interested and impressed if someone had the right advice on what to get?

I'm also curious what the jumpers on the Slot 1 adapter card are for. I've never been able to find out.

Reply 1 of 6, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ask in Marvin. That is where threads for dino hardware belong. This forum is for help with DOS games on *modern* PCs.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 3 of 6, by hellslinger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found a PC133 128MB module to try, and the board still doesn't work. The manual says that x4 modules will not work on this board, but I don't now what that means. I think this board just doesn't support the 366 MHz clock for this Celeron, so I'm going to get a Pentium II that has a clock explicitly listed in the DIP switch table and see if that works.

Maybe the lesson here is to avoid pulled motherboards from PC makers like Compaq, HP, and Dell. I had forgotten how bad the compatibility used to be for these boards. Stick with Asus, Abit, MSI, etc.

Reply 4 of 6, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The clock setting jumpers should be configured from the slocket, not the motherboard IIRC. Also make sure you try the motherboard out with a known compatible Slot 1 cpu first.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 5 of 6, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Of the big brands:
Gateway "Tabor" motherboards are "safe"
(It's actually a SE440BX-3 Intel's OEM version of its legendary SE440BX-2)

Dell also use the same motherboard but they decided to use non standard ATX connector, so avoid them or get something like this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Athena-Power-CABLE- … YAAAMXQ~c9RIIEt

Being Intel boards, both are rock solid but have nothing in the way of overclocking options

Reply 6 of 6, by hellslinger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the advice, everyone. The Celeron 366 will not work with this board.

I ordered a PII 400 off ebay and it works with this board. I remember being irritated at the locked multiplier on this Celeron when it was new, too. In case anyone sees this post who's looking to build a Slot1 system in the, beware the Proprietary motherboard.