VOGONS

First post, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

From what I've read (http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/c … tors.html#oldpc) AT motherboards relied heavily on the 5v rail compared to ATX-powered mobos. The chart on the link above suggests 15-20A for the 5v rail.

I'm putting together a 486 PC in an ATX case with ATX to AT converter for the PSU. What minimum specs are recommended for the ATX PSU that will be powering this 486? It seems a minimum 15A +5v rail? Does that sound about right, and are there any other recommendations?

Thanks!

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 1 of 3, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There is a thread here somewhere that talks about the missing -5v line on modern ATX power supplies and how it affects certain sound cards. I don't know if that is a huge concern for any other expansion cards though, but if you can find one with -5v, it probably wouldn't hurt.

Reply 2 of 3, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A 486 PC should need very little power, 15A on the +5V line as you said should be fine. Back in the day most people I know used those cheap generic AT power supplies that came with the cases, and they were generally rated between 15-20A on +5V, but I doubt those things could really provide that much power. So a decent modern ATX power supply that provides the power as stated on its label should be more than enough.

The weaker +5V line on modern power supplies only starts causing real trouble when you get into hungry Athlon territory (at least in my experience).

EDIT: regarding the -5V line, there are ATX --> AT adapters sold on ebay that generate -5V if you don't have it. Also, some of them come with a dummy load on the +3.3V line to "keep voltages stable", but I don't really know if that is really needed, as my knowledge of power supplies is quite basic.

Reply 3 of 3, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks. I'm measuring <40W at the socket on my 486, so I'm not concerned about total power needed. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking any differences in how ATX delegates power vs an AT PSU.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks