VOGONS

First post, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm trying to remove the metal plate on my PII, however there is no way to unscrew it.

CAM00017[1].jpg
Filename
CAM00017[1].jpg
File size
1.59 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Last time I tried to apply new paste on a PII I had to just pry it open and broke some plastic pieces off the cartridge. I REALLY don't want this to repeat. Does anyone here have an easier way of doing this?

Or maybe paste here doesn't matter that much and its good enough? I also see a small gap between the plate and the cache chips, do those get hot enough to warrant some thermal pads?

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 1 of 3, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Seems we have this topic already: opening a Pentium II case

I ended up getting another PII with a bigger heatsink myself. Not as big as some Dell P3 version though.

The (off-die) cache runs at half speed, and even the core temps looked good enough so I didn't bother taking it apart.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 2 of 3, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In the past I have successfully used circlip pliers to separate the cover(s) of PII SECC's.
If used carefully there occurs no damage to the casette at all. To further reduce risk of damage
the points of the beak of the plier could be 'insulated' with tape or with isolation from a wire.

Attachments

• tool.JPG
    Filename
    tool.JPG
    File size
    78.22 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 3, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just tired using pliers to separate the plates like you suggested.
It worked! 😎 Thanks for the suggestion.

The plastic cover got bent slightly, but its pretty much nothing.
This whole deal makes Socket A cooler mounting/removal look easy.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4