VOGONS

First post, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So I am working on a project and testing lots of graphics card with this motherboard.

I have tested a range of 3dfx cards, Banshee, Velocity 100, V3, V4 and V5 without a single hitch. You hear it all the time in this forum that 3dfx works very well with the super socket 7 platform.

Then I wanted to start testing Nvidia card and I ran into all sorts of issues. I tried TNT, TNT2 Pro, TNT2 M64, 256, 4 MX but not a single card will run stable in 3D games.

While trying out various Nvidia drivers, VIA 4 in 1 drivers, BIOS settings and AGP options (PowerStrip) I observed:

- Game runs but with black flashes in the image
- Game freezes
- After driver installation Windows hangs
- Freeze on desktop and when you move the mouse the PC speaker ticks

I re-installed Windows and using Nvidia driver 6.18 and VIA 4 in 1 4.31V all games will now launch, but a brief moment into the game the system with just lock up.

I also tried an ATI card, a Rage6 or Radeon 7200 I believe, and that card works flawless with the latest ATI driver. Performance isn't stellar, but that might be because the driver could be more CPU dependent, which is one aspect of this project I'm looking into.

So I am wondering if this sounds familiar and if anyone has any tips?

I have another MVP3 board, from DFI, that I could use instead, but I feel like continuing with the AOpen board so I have a full set of benchmark results, even if its just 3dfx and ATI.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 1 of 24, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I didn't try many NV cards on the MVP3 board but I also had unknown problems with a TNT causing serious audio lags with every audio cards I tried with. I think also the Geforce SDR gave me crash but maybe some mobo wattage issue considered the amount of power required.

Reply 2 of 24, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I found a tool that lets you set a "Super Socket 7" compatibility registry. It has two settings. It does prolong the time until crash, but, well it still crashes...

Oh yes, that issue with the delayed audio, I also witnessed that.

I think tomorrow I will just do a quick motherboard swap for the DFI board. I think that board is newer, so maybe that helps...

Reply 4 of 24, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dondiego wrote:

Have you tried setting agp aperture size to 4 mb and agp mode to 1x (if needed) in bios?

The board doesn't have an AGP speed option, but I have set it through software. Haven't tried aperture size of 4 MB yet...

EDIT: Ok so I transplanted the motherboard for the DFI. All working now. The TNT, and only the TNT, is still giving me the flashing black stuff in the image, but that might just be a specific driver bug for this card. TNT2 works great and the TNT only does this in Direct3D, OpenGL games are fine.

Reply 6 of 24, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
falloutboy wrote:

This will probably help, it worked for me with the Geforce 3 😀
Re: Socket 7 system stability issues

Thanks, I actually stumbled across that thread 😀

Unfortunately it didn't solve the issue. I have now moved to a DFI board and everything is working, I might re-visit the AOpen board again later though...

Reply 7 of 24, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some digging around the internet, and found this old thing from 1999....

http://www.hardwarecentral.com/showthread.php … 7-Unstable-TNT2

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 8 of 24, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
brostenen wrote:

Some digging around the internet, and found this old thing from 1999....

http://www.hardwarecentral.com/showthread.php … 7-Unstable-TNT2

Sweet, something to try 😀

Reply 9 of 24, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i have a mvp3 board from TMC and i had no issues with nvidia cards in win2000, tried several cards and ran many benchmarks without any problems. i am not sure if its board difference or os support though.
on the other hand, i had as many agp problems with ali5 in win2000 as you did, although it seemed to work in win98.

btw: whats the model of your dfi? i want a k6xv3-66...

Reply 10 of 24, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
noshutdown wrote:

i have a mvp3 board from TMC and i had no issues with nvidia cards in win2000, tried several cards and ran many benchmarks without any problems. i am not sure if its board difference or os support though.
on the other hand, i had as many agp problems with ali5 in win2000 as you did, although it seemed to work in win98.

btw: whats the model of your dfi? i want a k6xv3-66...

DFI K6XV3+/66

That one works great, can't wait to start benchmarking 😀

Reply 11 of 24, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Was able to complete all the tests with the TNT. I still got 2 or 3 crashes, and until I move to the voodoo cards, I don't know if it's the AGP issue again or something else.

Started testing with the TNT2 Pro, a great card and looks beautiful in 32 bit.

Reply 12 of 24, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had a Tyan S1590 back then. For me the stability was fixed by using an older VIA 4-in-1 version and selecting an option during the install which effectively lowers the AGP speed to 1X. Anyway, it sounds like you've got this sorted out.

Performance wise, I found that I got the best performance with an older nVidia driver. I think it was version 5.32. This version was only stable after getting the VIA setup just right.
Later nVidia driver versions were slower but more stable when using an unstable VIA AGP driver. I guess nVidia did something in those later drivers to try to work around the VIA AGP problem, but hurt performance in the process.
This was with a Geforce2 MX.

Reply 13 of 24, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, using older drivers is often mentioned.

I'm using slightly more recent ones because I want to use a range of cards with the same driver. I did use an older VIA driver, it does let you select between Turbo and normal for the AGP. But the DFI board has a BIOS option, so I set AGP to 1x in the BIOS.

A GeForce2 type card should be plenty for Super Socket 7.The TNT2 seems a good match, but at high resolution at 32 bit colours it's not quite enough.

Reply 14 of 24, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Was able to complete all the tests with the TNT. I still got 2 or 3 crashes, and until I move to the voodoo cards, I don't know if it's the AGP issue again or something else.

Have you lowered the aperture size in the BIOS? Say.... 4mb. Just to see if this makes any difference.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 16 of 24, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had a DFI K6XV3+/66 once and it was a solid when it came to overclocking but the dimm slots are very cheap so be a bit careful. Had a K6-3E running in that board at 550mhz (1.6v) along with a sexy v5 5500 agp that clocked like a bat out of hell.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 17 of 24, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
brostenen wrote:
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Have you lowered the aperture size in the BIOS? Say.... 4mb. Just to see if this makes any difference.

Yup! Also have the AGP 2x option disabled.

But I haven't tried 4 MB on the AOpen board, that would be awesome if that fixes it 😀

Reply 18 of 24, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did you try using PCI equivalents of these AGP cards to ensure the issue is entirely AGP related?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.