VOGONS

First post, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey, I'm trying to find a way to clear off some space on my 1GB Hard Drive in my DOS/Windows 95 gaming setup. When right clicking the hard drive in My Computer, it says that 900mb of the drive is being used, but when I highlight every folder on the drive and see how much everything takes up, it says it's only taking up 600mb... Is there something I can do to fix this? Disk Cleanup doesn't exist on Windows 95.

Reply 4 of 29, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wonder if WinDirStat works in Win98?
https://windirstat.info/

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 8 of 29, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's also the occassional bug of notactuallydeleted recycled recycle bin files where you'd have to dosprompt your way to C:\RECYCLED and just delete everything in there.. This occassionally happens in some 0 bytes free jams

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 9 of 29, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:

I second the suggestion of using Scandisk.

Also, have you checked the "Show hidden/system files" (or whatever it is) option in Windows Explorer?

Strangely, I've actually tried ScanDisk, and it says I have to install it via the Add/Remove Programs, but it doesn't show up in the Windows Features options... Also, I have shown system files.

Reply 11 of 29, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
thepirategamerboy12 wrote:

Strangely, I've actually tried ScanDisk, and it says I have to install it via the Add/Remove Programs, but it doesn't show up in the Windows Features options... Also, I have shown system files.

That is extremely strange. Did you prepare this Windows installation yourself? I'm partly inclined to think you've been hit by a virus.

If you start in MS-DOS mode (press F8 when "Starting Windows 95..." appears), does scandisk work there?

Reply 13 of 29, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:

That is extremely strange. Did you prepare this Windows installation yourself? I'm partly inclined to think you've been hit by a virus.

If you start in MS-DOS mode (press F8 when "Starting Windows 95..." appears), does scandisk work there?

I don't know about that... I'm extremely careful with using DOS and old Windows programs downloaded from the Internet to the point that I always check exes with VirusTotal. I've also checked file dates and sizes after running them, and they're all as they should be. I guess Windows sometimes just screws up like that.

Reply 14 of 29, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:

I don't know about that... I'm extremely careful with using DOS and old Windows programs downloaded from the Internet to the point that I always check exes with VirusTotal. I've also checked file dates and sizes after running them, and they're all as they should be. I guess Windows sometimes just screws up like that.

yea good ole Windows 9x and its randomly problems that make no sense 🤣

Reply 15 of 29, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You still haven't said if you prepared this installation yourself. The infection could already be lurking somewhere regardless of the scans you performed on the programs you downloaded; it could even be in the boot sector.

Even if you don't have Scandisk, you should at least have chkdsk, if I'm not mistaken.

Reply 16 of 29, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

To be sure, you can plug the drive into a modern PC with A/V and do a manual scan on it with both the A/V and Malwarebytes. At the very least you will definitively rule out malware as a source of the problem.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 17 of 29, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:

You still haven't said if you prepared this installation yourself. The infection could already be lurking somewhere regardless of the scans you performed on the programs you downloaded; it could even be in the boot sector.

Even if you don't have Scandisk, you should at least have chkdsk, if I'm not mistaken.

Oh, sorry. The answer is yes. I installed Windows 95A myself straight from the CD and created a new MBR. I'm also using the EZ-Drive Dynamic Drive Overlay.

Reply 18 of 29, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm also using the EZ-Drive Dynamic Drive Overlay.

Since it's only a 1 GB drive, wouldn't that be unnecessary? Perhaps that is the source of some of your problems.

Either way, try running chkdsk (or rather chkdsk /f), as I said.

Reply 19 of 29, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

SequoiaView is very similar to WinDirStat and will work in 95. http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif