VOGONS

First post, by Advent-nurse

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Last evening I've spent a good few hours trying to get to the motherboard of my newly acquired 480CDT, but damn that thing is stubborn. Something is keeping the top of the laptop in place, and keeping me from checking out the battery connection (since batteries won't work) and replacing the failing HDD.

Here's the top. The left, middle and right screw holes right beneath the keyboard are where the top is supposed to come off, I think.

IMG_20160802_165217.jpg
Filename
IMG_20160802_165217.jpg
File size
4.13 MiB
Views
File comment
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The bottom part got off easily; underneath it was the RAM and this other thing, whatever it is.

IMG_20160802_171215.jpg
Filename
IMG_20160802_171215.jpg
File size
4.4 MiB
Views
File comment
Thing
File license

The left side clicked off fairly quickly as well, but the right side kept giving resistance. I was hesitant to use too much force, so I spent a lot of time fumbling about and removing small stuff from the exposed bit on the front. Later when the right side finally gave in a bit I saw this:

IMG_20160802_094939.jpg
Filename
IMG_20160802_094939.jpg
File size
2.38 MiB
Views
File comment
Right back
File license
IMG_20160802_174917.jpg
Filename
IMG_20160802_174917.jpg
File size
3.12 MiB
Views
File comment
Right front
File license

There's a metal plate/strip attached to the underside of the top. At the front, it's still attached to the case. At the back, and on the whole left side, it's not.

Does anybody have any tips on how I should proceed here? Is there something obvious I've missed?

And something else: this thing has a total of four CardBus slots, an infrared sensor, an external floppy slot and a USB port, besides the serial ports. How standard was this and what was the IR sensor used for?

IMG_20160802_170108.jpg
Filename
IMG_20160802_170108.jpg
File size
3.81 MiB
Views
File comment
Back
File license

Thanks people!

Reply 2 of 5, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, check minuszerodegrees or Google for the service manual.

I have a 460CDT and the hard drive just slides right out of the front when you take off just one screw - maybe yours is different?

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 3 of 5, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Remove the nuts on both side from every port on the backside. That plate is held in place there.
I don't know sure, but with the later versions you had to remove the whole screen first, don't know if that is needed here and that it is one piece with the topcover from the notebook.

Reply 4 of 5, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

From my general experience with laptops:
- carefully remove the plastic stripe just above the keyboard
- you will now be able to remove the keyboard
- under the keyboard there should be more screws holding the case together

1+1=10

Reply 5 of 5, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Advent-nurse wrote:

And something else: this thing has a total of four CardBus slots, an infrared sensor, an external floppy slot and a USB port, besides the serial ports. How standard was this and what was the IR sensor used for?

The old Toshiba's are built proof, I keep collecting these without even trying, everyone had one and they never die. Shame I cant think what to use them for.
I'm no expert but 2 cardbus slots were common even in early P4 laptops, so can imagine earlier laptops having 4.
Toshiba laptops FDD's also used to have a habit of multiplying by themselves, I threw out a load few years ago, regret doing that now, as the port did change somewhere along the line.
Infrared was very common in laptops, was meant to be a way to transfer files, especially with other mobile devices from the era like phones or PDA's.
Wifi and Bluetooth killed it off