VOGONS

First post, by Melonking

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
So I just booted up my first socket 7 build today, everything went well, system started up. Yay! But something is perplexing me.

Im running a Pentium 1 100mhz cpu on a FIC PA-2013 motherboard.
The cpu is recommended at a 1.5 clock multiplier, the motherboard states it supports the cpu and mentions it many times in the manual. However the board does not seem to have an option for 1.5 as a multiplier.

CPU spec: www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Pentium/Intel-Pe ... 2100).html
Manual:
whd5God.jpg

I currently have it set to 3.5 as it says that counts as 1.5 for AMD cpus, and it works fine. But I'm worried I could be doing damage if this is not correct.

Reply 1 of 5, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Lol no hahahahahaha snort haaha 🤣 rolf.

Socket 7 is mostly unlocked so you are not doing any harm and they overclock safely 😉

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 2 of 5, by Melonking

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I see thanks, its interesting, at the 3.5 setting the cpu shows as 100mhz, if its set to 2.0 it shows as 133mhz.

I wonder if it is actually doing 1.5 at 3.5 for intel after all. Or could it just be failing as an overclock and dropping back to its base speed?

Reply 3 of 5, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some boards from this period remap the multiplier for compatibility reasons like 2x being remapped to 6x for some amd k6-2s ect. So all is good.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 4 of 5, by mmx_91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Melonking wrote:

I see thanks, its interesting, at the 3.5 setting the cpu shows as 100mhz, if its set to 2.0 it shows as 133mhz.

I wonder if it is actually doing 1.5 at 3.5 for intel after all. Or could it just be failing as an overclock and dropping back to its base speed?

x3.5 is actually the same as x1.5. It was only when the MMX range came out when the 3.5 multiplier appeared. As many motherboards from that era couldn't go past x3, the chip translated the x1.5 option into x3.5 for the 233MMX model. Newer motherboards, however, showed in their manuals the opposite operation (x3.5 for the MMX, and the 'translated' was the x1.5 multiplier for older cpus like your Pentium 100).

So, it's safe and indeed the correct option to choose x3.5 for your P100... unless you want to overclock it a little 🤣

Reply 5 of 5, by Melonking

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mmx_91 wrote:
Melonking wrote:

x3.5 is actually the same as x1.5. It was only when the MMX range came out when the 3.5 multiplier appeared. As many motherboards from that era couldn't go past x3, the chip translated the x1.5 option into x3.5 for the 233MMX model. Newer motherboards, however, showed in their manuals the opposite operation (x3.5 for the MMX, and the 'translated' was the x1.5 multiplier for older cpus like your Pentium 100).

So, it's safe and indeed the correct option to choose x3.5 for your P100... unless you want to overclock it a little 🤣

That explains it, thank ye, I have much to learn.