VOGONS

Made a trade

Topic actions

First post, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Compaq SR1750NX system, traded 2x2gb DDR2 for it.

It has

Athlon 64 3500+
ATI Express 200 Based ASUS A8AE-LE Motherboard
1gb Ram (4x256mb PC266)
Radeon x300SE Video card
DVD-RW Light Scribe
Case

It's missing
PSU, Hard Drive, COA

My plans for it I think are this

Athlon 64 X2 (which model do yall think?)
4gb DDR400 (I just happen to have 4x1gb already)
Geforce 9500GT GDDR3 512mb / HD 2600XT GDDR4 256mb (Already have both can't decide which to use)
500GB Seagate SATA Drive
Sound blaster X-Fi (need to buy this)
Windows XP Pro/Vista Ultimate (own both just can't decide which to use)
Wireless N PCI Card

Now this will replace my daughters computer in her bedroom its a

Sempron 3000 754
Compaq Motherboard
Geforce 6200 256mb 64bit DDR
2gb DDR 400 (2x1gb which I'm planning to use on the above)
120gb IDE drive
Sound Blaster Live 5.1
Windows XP Home SP3
Wireless N PCI

So what do yall think of my options or thing's youd change?

Reply 2 of 13, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:
candle_86 wrote:

So what do yall think of my options or thing's youd change?

That all depends on what exactly your daughter plans to do with it, does it not?

She will play flash games on it, a few older games from Scholoastic that work on systems advertised this way

Pentium 3 800
128mb Ram
32mb DirectX 6 Compatabile Video Card
30mb Hard Drive
Windows 98SE, Windows Me, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7

So system requirements are quite low but she enjoys them, and ill toss in

Flight Simulator 2004
SimCity 3000/4
MineCraft (if it can run on such an old system acceptably)
GTI Racing
Monster Truck Madness 2
Midtown Maddness 2

Reply 3 of 13, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

...Okay, and her existing system is somehow inadequate to this task?

At the very least I can't begin to imagine why a SoundBlaster X-Fi should be necessary, considering the board probably already has onboard sound.

Reply 4 of 13, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unless you have a specific "retro" purpose for Windows XP I'd learn towards using a OS that is still supported and still getting updates from Microsoft. Other then that, for what you are doing, Only think I might do is go to go to 4GB of RAM, but that is questionable.

Reply 5 of 13, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:

...Okay, and her existing system is somehow inadequate to this task?

At the very least I can't begin to imagine why a SoundBlaster X-Fi should be necessary, considering the board probably already has onboard sound.

It runs unacceptably slow with newer than XP or with flash based games. That Sempron has only 128k L2 and is limited to 2gb of ram by the board. The 6200 doesn't support hardware accelerated Flash anymore and the Sempron just doesn't have the power to brute force modern flash like it could a decade ago. X-fi because I can get them for cheap and the onboard sound doesn't work anymore, the jack is physically damaged and won't hold a 3.5in jack and I have a source for an X-fi for 10 dollars so why not, and I've been told the Live isn't supported on Vista or newer

Rhuwyn wrote:

Unless you have a specific "retro" purpose for Windows XP I'd learn towards using a OS that is still supported and still getting updates from Microsoft. Other then that, for what you are doing, Only think I might do is go to go to 4GB of RAM, but that is questionable.

I plan to use 4x1gb DDR 400 for it.

Reply 6 of 13, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeh as flash games seem pretty important, I wouldn't bother with XP, its a sad day but the web site designs/coding has moved on from XP and its supported browsers. It's only going to get harder to surf the web.
Even Vista doesn't have much time left. I wouldn't consider anything less then Win7 as a daily driver for a internet based PC but if you don't want to purchase anything go with vista

Xfi is bit extreme for not a serious games PC but if you can get them cheap, plus its the last soundcard to support XP so may come in handy in a future build so shy not
I would get the fastest CPU your budget allows. Every little bit helps but I doubt it will make a huge difference end of the day

Reply 7 of 13, by Aideka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For the audio, if the motherboard is HD audio compatible, you might be able to plug the audio out cable to, let's say line in jack, and then just use the audio control panel to tell the pc what is plugged in.

8zszli-6.png

Reply 8 of 13, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a system similar to what you want to build. X2 3800+, 4gb (not full recognized). Anyway, for basic stuff is ok. Just browsing and downloading some stuff.

Reply 9 of 13, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sprcorreia wrote:

I have a system similar to what you want to build. X2 3800+, 4gb (not full recognized). Anyway, for basic stuff is ok. Just browsing and downloading some stuff.

What OS are you using?

On another note another gpu option appeared radeon hd6450 which I think will handle flash and should compare speed wise to a hd2600xt

Reply 10 of 13, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
candle_86 wrote:
sprcorreia wrote:

What OS are you using?

On another note another gpu option appeared radeon hd6450 which I think will handle flash and should compare speed wise to a hd2600xt

It came with XP and it works for what I want it to do. The only thing I upgraded was the RAM from the 1GB it had.

Reply 12 of 13, by Aideka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would go with the Radeon 6450 GPU, since it is the newest, I think it has the best chance of working with flash. I would also install Vista on there if you cannot use 7. I think Minecraft might work better with the Geforce 9500, but I would bet both handle it ok.

8zszli-6.png

Reply 13 of 13, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

6450 wont work on it, I'm guessing the ATI x200 isn't compatible 🤣. It now is running 7 32bit with the 3500. It preforms acceptably but the 4400 should improve it. The slowest part now I the USB wireless g adapter 🤣.