VOGONS

First post, by Razor02

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everybody!

I'm new in this forum, but I want to ask about an old ISA Soundcard. 😀 I hope somebody can help. With my friend we decided that to make alive this old soundcard (ESS1868F), but we encountered some problem. Firstly, when we tried the (maybe the correct?) driver for this soundcard, it's shows some errors, especially with the DMA Channel. So we tried numerous drivers, without success. Once we have music and no FX in games, once FX and no music in games. We have an "old" Compaq PC, with an expansion slot with one ISA (16bit) slot on it.

We made some pictures about our settings, I post them here and write a small description for them. (For the easier understanding... 😀 )

es1868cfg.jpg
Filename
es1868cfg.jpg
File size
105.59 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

So, this is the correct(?!) driver, we think. It's set the soundcard for these settings as you see in this picture.
With these settings in games (for example in Doom) we have music, but we didn't have FX. We didn't know why.

es1869cfg.jpg
Filename
es1869cfg.jpg
File size
85.24 KiB
Views
File license

This is the another driver for the ES1869. With this settings we have sound FX and no music. It's very strange.

These two pictures shows the PNP automatic configuration. These settings aren't set manually.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now, I want to show you the manual settings for this soundcard. (We launch the escfg.exe)

eswithoutpnp.jpg
Filename
eswithoutpnp.jpg
File size
122.67 KiB
Views
File license

In this configurator we setup the card with the settings shown in the BIOS. For example when we have in the BIOS the 220 IRQ5 DMA1 settings, we set this in this configurator too.

BUT!

After we restart the PC, and when the DOS system loading, it's show this following error message:

Failed to set new DMA Channel

eswithoutpnpdmafailed.jpg
Filename
eswithoutpnpdmafailed.jpg
File size
116.04 KiB
Views
File license

And we don't have music, and FX too. 🙁

I post our BIOS settings too (if it helps...):

bios2.jpg
Filename
bios2.jpg
File size
109.6 KiB
Views
File license

We also enabled the PNP AudioDrive in BIOS....
Somebody can help in this situation?

Reply 3 of 4, by Razor02

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Aideka wrote:

If the card you are using is plugged on the ISA slot, then you might need to disable the audio device from the onboard devices screen in bios.

Thank you very much!
It works! 😀 😀 😀