VOGONS

First post, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I have a cheap pci via chipset sata card. It hates anything over 40mhz in the pci bus (have year to play with bus latency.) and the card craps out and takes the hdd's file system with it.
Does anyone know of any good pci sata cards that don't mind a good overclock?

Reply 3 of 9, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

It appears that 66MHz S-ATA PCI bus variants exist. But check if yours already is one (maybe something else can't keep up). Oh, and it's better to just get a faster CPU than to overclock 😀

1+1=10

Reply 4 of 9, by bakcom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MrEWhite wrote:
bakcom wrote:

Why overclock?

...To go faster?

I assume there's a more specific goal than that. If it's a legacy system for old games, why overclock? And if OC, why in a way that also changes the PCI speed?

Reply 5 of 9, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bakcom wrote:
MrEWhite wrote:
bakcom wrote:

Why overclock?

...To go faster?

I assume there's a more specific goal than that. If it's a legacy system for old games, why overclock? And if OC, why in a way that also changes the PCI speed?

Meh, there are sometimes special reasons to overclock. For instance, I always use my celeron 300A system at 100FSB. 😀

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 7 of 9, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:

I have a cheap pci via chipset sata card. It hates anything over 40mhz in the pci bus (have year to play with bus latency.) and the card craps out and takes the hdd's file system with it.

Oh yeah. Had an overclocked Celeron as a file server with all my data on a 500 GB SATA drive on this controller. Didn't turn out well.

Reply 8 of 9, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I'm running a 1.4ghz Piii with PC-166 ram. I'd like to run the fsb at 166mhz

I already checked all my parts, that and my mobo has a divider up to 166mhz for the agp buss and up to 133fsb for the pci bus.

Reply 9 of 9, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

It appears that 66MHz S-ATA PCI bus variants exist. But check if yours already is one (maybe something else can't keep up). Oh, and it's better to just get a faster CPU than to overclock 😀

Thanks for the info, never thought about getting a 66mhz card. As for getting a faster cpu, that's not always the best choice for preference. The higher fsb and ram speeds make a difference and simply dropping in a faster cpu does not necessarily speed up the ram or fsb. That and overclocking is s big part of the retro computer hobby for me.