VOGONS

How do YOU ship things?

Topic actions

First post, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, my parents have been living in the same house for 20 years, and because my Paps also find computers interesting, most of my computer hardware has been stored at their house. Well, the owner sold the house, out from under them so now everything has to go. I only have about six weeks to clear everything out, and believe me it's going to mean I have to either throw a lot of stuff out or try to sell it/give it away. 😒

So I need to know how to properly go about shipping specific things, such as motherboards and other assorted cards, entire cases, etc.

I know I can walk into a USPS or UPS store or the like, but I honestly don't have time--my days are completely filled to the brim with working during the day, and coming home to a full evening of chores, taking care of the kids, etc. 😵

So if anyone could give me info on how they go about it, and how much it typically costs (in America) I would really appreciate it! 😀

Reply 1 of 25, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hard box with lots of bubble wrap, packing paper, and anti static bags. I refuse to use soft packaging like envelops ect unlike some greedy pricks that do it to save a buck only to end up with broken items.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 2 of 25, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sounds to me like you should just pay a moving company to come in and pack up everything for you. Or perhaps post an ad on your local Kijiji/Craigslist, or consult with whoever locally sells or reclaims computer parts.

Logistics wrote:

I honestly don't have time--my days are completely filled to the brim with working during the day, and coming home to a full evening of chores, taking care of the kids, etc. 😵

It also sounds to me like you don't have time to mess with any of this old hardware anymore anyway, so why keep it at all?

Reply 3 of 25, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
nforce4max wrote:

Hard box with lots of bubble wrap, packing paper, and anti static bags. I refuse to use soft packaging like envelops ect unlike some greedy pricks that do it to save a buck only to end up with broken items.

Exactly this. Never, EVER use envelopes, and use plenty of packing material (roughly 2" worth around all the sides).

Reply 4 of 25, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Each item in it's own antistatic bag and two layer of bubble wrap around. That's for cards, such af AGP, PCI and ISA.
Well.... CPU's too. Memory are a bit more sturdy, so they can be stacked inside an antistatic bag.
Stuff like harddrives and heavy things need a bit more padding. Harddrives in one box, coolers in another.
What you really need to be aware of, is that even with bubble wrap, you have to make shure nothing will move inside
the boxes that you have packed in. It need to be secured as good as possible.

Just pack with a lot of padding, and if you have too much, I think it will be cheaper if it's transported privately.
You know... UPS/First mail versus gasoline price.

EDIT:
You can "buy" time, taking the kids with you. And your parents will be happy to see grandchildren too.
This way, they can take care of you'r children for the evening, and you can use 6 hours each day for one weekend.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 5 of 25, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:

It also sounds to me like you don't have time to mess with any of this old hardware anymore anyway, so why keep it at all?

You're asking me to give up my dreams, sir. 😁

Reply 6 of 25, by GuyTechie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Logistics wrote:
Jorpho wrote:

You're asking me to give up my dreams, sir. 😁

He just want all the things. All!

Reply 7 of 25, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Pack to withstand a 5 foot drop from a conveyor belt.
Because if you don't, that's exactly what will happen.

I got that advice from someone who ships antique sewing machines.
But it's just as relevant for old computers.

Reply 8 of 25, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, if anyone is looking for any old hardware from 386 to PIII's (I doubt anyone wants P4's) then you need to let me know, now. I have to get this stuff out of here by the 15th of September and for the most part, people can have it as long as they pay the shipping. I've got a User lined up on another forum who is willing to pretty much take it all, and pay for the shipping, but I don't want to leave my retro brethren of Vogons out in the cold. Gotta contribute.

Maybe I should make a specific thread about this?

Matthew

Reply 9 of 25, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well.... I asked this question a long time ago here... Only looking for one specific part, maby two.
And my fundings are really low this time. Anyway... Going to PM you.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 11 of 25, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You wrap it in plastic, its fantastic 😎

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 12 of 25, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Anti-static bags, lots of bubble wrap, inside boxes that aren't shitty. Also good quality packing tape.

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 13 of 25, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Believe me, I won't skimp on materials as I care about my hardware. But due to lack of experience with shipping things, I am relying on the forum for advice. 😀

Reply 14 of 25, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's been a long time since I shipped a motherboard, but they used to have some Priority Mail boxes that fit a full ATX board pretty well. They give those boxes away for free but you have to use them for Priority Mail. Your local post office will give them out, or you can browse the available boxes on the USPS web site and order them in sets of 25 or something like that. They'll deliver them free, grand total $0 but it takes a couple weeks for them to show up. Smaller motherboards can ship in those boxes for under 2lbs, larger boards will go over 2lbs so they cost more.
There's a size of "flat rate box" that also fits motherboards and is a bit bigger. If the package weighed over 2lbs and was going halfway across the country then it was cheaper to use the flat rate box, otherwise variable rate was cheaper. That was several years ago though, and USPS has changed their shipping rates multiple times since then, and probably changed some of the boxes also. Nowadays I think you're looking at over $10 to ship a <2lbs box via Priority Mail, and more than that for >2lbs or flat rate.

If you have retail motherboard boxes, you can turn those inside out and use that as a shipping box. It doesn't leave as much room for bubble wrap as one would like, but it's fairly strong and gets the job done without having to buy boxes. Using your own box means you can use the Parcel shipping service or whatever they call it now, but I'm not sure it's much cheaper than Priority now.

For best protection, not only does a box need to withstand a fall but it also needs to withstand something heavier falling on top of it. This can be an issue with light items in bubble mailers. The strength of the free USPS Priority Mail boxes seems a bit marginal, but they get by. I don't recall ever getting a complaint of them being smashed, though I'm sure they're more prone to it than most boxes are.
I've sometimes seen people ship items in soft packaging with lots of bubble wrap. Bubble wrap is not an effective defense against crushing. It slightly spreads out the load but it's not enough against a major blow. A heavy blow against bubble wrap will be transmitted straight to the item inside.

As a buyer, my attitude about packaging is that if it's a cheap item then I'd like to have the option of paying less for shipping and accepting the risk of weak packaging. I don't mind getting a $5 card in a bubble mailer if it means I can pay less for shipping. If a surface mounted cap or inductor gets popped off I'll tack it back on. If a fan gets damaged it probably needed to be replaced anyway. There are some items that aren't worth the cost of shipping safely.
However, proper boxed packaging should certainly be the default unless a buyer has clearly agreed to take the risk of going cheap. While I'm sometimes in favor of cheap packaging, that's only if I've agreed to it, I don't like being surprised by it.

*Realistically* - especially if you go on eBay - I'd be very careful about offering the "cheap and risky" shipping option because some people might get angry about it even if the packaging method was clearly explained. Especially in the anonymous world of eBay - some eBayers are quite immature (speaking both of buyers and sellers) and you don't know what kind of person you're dealing with. The less drama you have on there the happier you'll be. In the world of forums you might get a better chance to communicate with people before selling to them.

SIMMs/DIMMs: I've always shipped these in shielded bags padded with some extra cardboard padding and shipped in a bubble mailer. They're plenty safe, they don't have anything sticking out that will break off and it would be very hard to crush them.
The main reason for the extra cardboard was because of a weird detail in the USPS rules. You couldn't get tracking unless the package was considered a "parcel", and it wouldn't be considered a "parcel" unless it exceeded some minimum thickness. I don't know if that rule is still the same. I was worried that if I put a parcel label with tracking on a package that was too thin, somebody inside USPS could decide to block it.
BTW - don't trust local USPS employees to know the finer details of their rules very well. They're quite good at believing and repeating things that they haven't actually researched, and when you research them yourself you may find something different.

Reply 15 of 25, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Why not drive and haul it? Or use www.uship.com.

For shipping: bubble wrap / peanuts. CRTs: both: bubble wrap in box 1: peanuts in box 2 (around box 1).

Good luck!

USPS is hit or miss. I shipped 4 boxes with LaserDiscs to KY (eBay GSP) last month and one box with 30 LDs arrived empty: theft.

Reply 16 of 25, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been hearing bad things about USPS from many people so I will definitely stray from them.

Keep the PM's coming. Had a few interested parties so far so stuff is getting lined up to ship out.

Matthew

Reply 17 of 25, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Signed & tracked services like USPS' Priority or Expedited/Express should be alright though.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 18 of 25, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For mobos, isa and pci cards (any flat things) I usually wrap them in antistatic bags.
Then wrap them between two pieces of cardboard of roughly the same shape.
Then pack this in a box that allows at least 1 inch of bubble/cushioning around it.

If I pack more solid stuff, like a case, I add folded cardboard edges to the case to avoid breaking the corners in shipping.
Then bubble wrap at least 2 inches everywhere in a box that allows it.

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database

Reply 19 of 25, by GuyTechie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Logistics wrote:

I've been hearing bad things about USPS from many people so I will definitely stray from them.

Keep the PM's coming. Had a few interested parties so far so stuff is getting lined up to ship out.

Matthew

I think I PM'd you but it's stuck in my Outbox. In case you didn't get it, I think I also emailed you (by accident - I thought it was a PM icon).