VOGONS

First post, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes I know, this topic has been discussed frequently, but everyone here is on their own retro journey of discovery, and this is mine 😊

I started off with an AOpen AX59Pro, 128 MB stick of PC133 SDRAM, AMD K6-III+ 400 overclocked to 550 MHz and wanted to check out a massive range of graphics cards to find out the limits of the systems and answer many questions such as:

- Is Nvidia or 3dfx better?
- 3dfx cards are often mentioned to have less issues with SS7 platforms and have AMD optimised drivers
- What about using newer graphics cards for eye candy?
- Does TnL in newer GPUs help?
- What cards are cheap and plentyful and therefore good picks
- What cards are harder to find, cost more, and are they worth getting?
- Are there differences with newer drivers?
- Does the Sound Card have an impact on performance, and what Sound Card is "faster"?

And many more similar questions.

Nvidia

Now I did all the 3dfx benchmarks with the AOpen motherboard, but then ran into issues with Nvidia cards. Games would lock the machine, I had blue screens, white screens and no luck. I got great help from here, especially Brostenen and tried a range of recommended tips such as:

- Disabling AGP 2x in the BIOS
- Setting AGP aperture size to 4 MB
- Changing the Wait State AGP options
- Installing older 4 in 1 VIA chipset drivers
- Enabling the Nvidia SS7 compatibility registry tweak
- PCI latency driver
- Using older Nvidia drivers and so on

Still, no dice, so I moved to another board from DFI, also with the VIA chipset. It's the DFI K6XV3+/66!

That board worked better, but I also had issues. Especially some sort of pausing issue, with the machine pausing for seconds, then working again. Int the end, I had the best stability by not installing any chipset drivers, just Windows 98, graphics drivers, DirectX and that's it. So maybe this works for you also.

So, because I had issues with Nvidia cards, I now wanted to benchmark them first and get the results ticked off.

I used the following cards:

- TNT
- TNT2 M64
- TNT2 Pro
- GeForce 256
- GeForce2 MX 400
- Quadro 2 Pro
- GeForce3 Ti 200
- GeForce4 MX 460
- GeForce4 Ti 4200

8.05 driver for TNT, TNT2, 256 DDR and GeForce2
23.11 driver for GeForce3 Ti 200
40.72 GeForce4 MX 460, GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8x

I might have used an older driver for the MX 460, because that card came out earlier, the Ti 4200 with AGP 8x is newer, BUT I honestly can't remember. In the benchmarks the MX is a bit faster, so I think I did use an older driver with the Ti 4200.

I re-started the entire benchmarking marathon 4 times, so maybe I got confused 😊

A video of all the charts and analysis will be online soon, but here is a bit of a write-up of each card:

TNT:

Works great, highly compatible with older games, but basic performance. Everything the TNT can do, the TNT2 can do better basically.

TNT2 M64:

In many cases close to the TNT, very cheap and easy to find. Type in TNT in eBay and you fill find a TON of results.

TNT2:

The proper TNT2. Significantly faster than the TNT and TNT2 M64. You can play GLQuake and Quake II very well at 1024 x 768 in 32 bit colours. Also very compatible with older games, the TNT range is supported by many games, often directly mentioned in the readme files.

A bit harder to find as you got to wade through the tons of TNT2 M64 cards.

GeForce256:

Nvidia's first GPU! Has fast memory and quite a step up in performance. However, being the first GeForce, this card is a bit of a collectors card. I believe you will most certainly have to look around a little and likely spend a bit more. Has TnL engine which works in some games and does indeed give a small performance boost. However, games that support TnL are often too demanding already to run wenn on the SS7 platform.

GeForce2:

Especiall the MX range should be easy to find. There is the regular MX and the MX-400, both offer decent performance. Avoid the MX 200, it has lower memory performance. I believe these are some of the first cards with DVI interface, something that can come in handy in the future.

Quadro2 Pro:

Workstation card. Built very well, looks gorgeous and can often be found for less than the GeForce equivalent.

GeForce 3:

The Ti 200 I have is the slowest. These cards bring fast AA to the table. Newer drivers offer more AA and AF options which these cards can take advantage. However, being a DX8 cards, I can't help but see this more in a early Windows XP machine. Also you might as well got for the GeForce4 at this point.

GeForce 4:

Even better and AA and high resolutions.

Game compatibility

I ran into two games that break on GeForce256 and newer. Incoming and Shogo. Incoming has corrupt HUG graphics, and Shogo some weird screen flickering issue. In general most games will run just fine on the newer cards, but not all of them will. So for best compatibility stick with a TNT or TNT2 type card.

Budget cards

TNT2 M64, GF2 MX and GF4 MX type cards are the cheapest and easiest to find. If you're on a budget, start with these. While the TNT2 M64 offers limited performance for newer games, it is excellent for anything a bit older.

I do believe I chose games and benchmarks that are a bit too modern. But I had real issues finding more appropriate games with benchmark features. The SS7 platform is great at bridging the gap between DOS and early 3D Windows games: Incoming, Shadows of the Empire, Forsaken, Turok, all of these games run great on the M64.

Best card

If I had to recommend a single card, I would recommend the TNT2. This card is very compatible, has fantastic image with 32 bit colours, and offers performance fast enough for newer games. It is a bit harder to find, but worst case just go with a M64 and see if it works for you, they are dirt cheap.

Very soon!

A range of 3dfx cards! Often the go-to cards for Super Socket 7. Can't wait 😀

Now about other cards, I want to check out a few ATI cards, but I doubt I have the time to test exotic cards. This project has been much more time consuming that I thought it would be 😵

Nvidia video with benchmark results and analysis

3dfx

Now it's time to check out some cards from 3dfx! They often get recommended for Super Socket 7. It is said that the drivers are quite optimized for the K6 and that compatibility is good. Let's find out!

The cards:

Elsa Banshee:

An interesting card. Based on the Voodoo 2 DNA, but with one TMU disabled. This card performs faster in single texture games compared to a V2, but slower in multi texture games such as Quake II. It is clocked a bit higher, mine has the core and memory at 100 MHz. 16 MB of video memory. This is a proper 2D+3D card, the VGA output is excellent and it has that "22 bit" output filter which helps make old 16 bit games look a bit nicer.

Velocity 100:

A gimped Voodoo 3 2000. It has half the memory, only 8 MB and for OpenGL and Glide (but not for Direct3D), it has one TMU disabled. However this can be easily enabled through a registry setting 😀 Fully enabled, this card performs on the level of Voodoo 2 in SLI.

Voodoo 3 3500 Compaq edition:

A real classic, many of us have this card. It is clocked quite high and does generate a lot of heat. I recommend adding a fan onto the card, there are lots of mods floating around. All these cards, including the V3, are 16 bit only and this fact will often determine what card is best for your needs.

Voodoo 4:

Some call it the card that the V3 should have been. It adds 32 bit colour support, but 16 but colour performance is still on the level of a V3. It can also do 2x AA brute force style using super sampling.

Voodoo 5:

The fastest Voodoo card. Can do 4x AA and offers plenty of performance, even at high resolutions. Doesn't have TnL like the GeForce256, so on a slow CPU such as the K6, this actually makes a difference.

Video with benchmark results and analysis

https://youtu.be/ZmQnEdoZyh8

Lots of charts and analysis to digest. First up I am comparing the individual Voodoo cards amongst each other, then we will take a look how they compare against the Nvidia cards!

My take:

Banshee: Cool card. If you can get it for cheap, it's a good start. But limited performance.

Velocity 100. With enabled TMU on the level of V2 SLI, but with nicer image quality and full OpenGL support. Only 8 MB memory, so that could be an issue.

V3. IMO the best Voodoo card for SS7. In 16 bit, that's all this cards can do, it outperforms the TNT2 and these cards are very compatible with SS7 hardware as well as games. Plus you get the Glide factor.

V4 and V5. IMO I can't recommend them. 32 bit colours are nice, but so is Nvidia, plus with Nvidia you can go with a GF4 MX and use AA and AF for a fraction of the price for a V5.

TNT2 vs 3dfx:

Both cards are awesome. But, this is about what is best for SS7, and although the TNT2 has 32 bit colour support, many such games are not running well on a SS7 machine. For example Expendable, Drakan, Quake III and so on. There are however a lot more, older games, that are 16 bit colours only or support the Glide engine. Plus you get excellent compatibility with SS7 motherboards, avoid the AGP issues and 16 bit games look nicer because of the V3 "22 bit" colour filter. Compatibility with old games is also excellent and there is almost no reason to use older drivers or try different drivers like with Nvidia.

So for the time being: V3 is my top pick 😀

Very soon we will look at ATI and maybe some other cards!

Latest charts!

Y6Ydcwjh.png

hGbk1pkh.png

V6mtwk7h.png

71M4FKxh.png

pEib91yh.png

lTi86g8h.png

4J4fTC3h.png

GuoGVH0h.png

wkx8Ey9h.png

jFvt5tlh.png

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 1 of 55, by RetroBoogie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Awesome Phil, this is exactly what I have been debating lately. I had a TNT back in the day, but now use a Voodoo3. It's just fine, but I feel like I'm missing out on 32-bit colors.

Reply 2 of 55, by goodtofufriday

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Couldn't you have posted this yesterday? Lol. building my first SS7 and debated for 2 days what card to buy. I ended up finding a voodoo 3 for cheap so Im hoping its going to compare well with the tnt2U in terms of compatibility.

A fixer of things. I also broke those things.

Reply 3 of 55, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RetroBoogie wrote:

Awesome Phil, this is exactly what I have been debating lately. I had a TNT back in the day, but now use a Voodoo3. It's just fine, but I feel like I'm missing out on 32-bit colors.

Haha, yes the 32 bit support was THE issue to talk about back in the day 😀

Now the V3 does have this filter going on that makes 16 bit games look a bit nicer, but it's clearly not as nice as 32 bit on the Nvidia cards.

Having said that, a lot of the older games only support 16 bit. Not sure what games I tried, but ran into quite a few of them. so here ir really doesn't matter. But with Forsaken and Incoming, 32 bit was a real option and it does indeed look lovely.

Eager to see what the 3dfx cards will be like 😀

goodtofufriday wrote:

Couldn't you have posted this yesterday? Lol. building my first SS7 and debated for 2 days what card to buy. I ended up finding a voodoo 3 for cheap so Im hoping its going to compare well with the tnt2U in terms of compatibility.

V3 is a great choice, you should be happy with that card 😀

Reply 4 of 55, by goodtofufriday

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote:
goodtofufriday wrote:

V3 is a great choice, you should be happy with that card 😀

Looking forward to your reviews of these. its because of your videos that I decided on a ss7 vs a 486 build, with the l1/l2 disabing.

Reply 5 of 55, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cool 😀

I have a real lack of games for this machine. I got Squadron 3D (Star Wars) from eBay, and I really have to get more originals. The GOG versions often don't run on old computer, but some do, like Hitman or Shogo.

Squadron 3D runs very well, the graphics are quite good for that time. And Shogo has a really interesting story and game flow. I remember it being used for benchmarking, but it's actually a fun game.

Reply 6 of 55, by RetroBoogie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote:
Haha, yes the 32 bit support was THE issue to talk about back in the day :) […]
Show full quote
RetroBoogie wrote:

Haha, yes the 32 bit support was THE issue to talk about back in the day 😀

Now the V3 does have this filter going on that makes 16 bit games look a bit nicer, but it's clearly not as nice as 32 bit on the Nvidia cards.

Having said that, a lot of the older games only support 16 bit. Not sure what games I tried, but ran into quite a few of them. so here ir really doesn't matter. But with Forsaken and Incoming, 32 bit was a real option and it does indeed look lovely.

Exactly. I remember going 32 bit was like finally getting glasses and seeing properly. Now itching for some TNT - my wallet salutes you. 😀

Reply 7 of 55, by goodtofufriday

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Cool 😀

I have a real lack of games for this machine. I got Squadron 3D (Star Wars) from eBay, and I really have to get more originals. The GOG versions often don't run on old computer, but some do, like Hitman or Shogo.

Squadron 3D runs very well, the graphics are quite good for that time. And Shogo has a really interesting story and game flow. I remember it being used for benchmarking, but it's actually a fun game.

I remember years ago I found a lot with a bunch of pc games including shogo. At that time i didnt care for old pc games so i tossed it out figuring I could DL them all later. /regret

I could send you copies of day of the tenticle. recently found the floppy disk version at the thrift.

Reply 8 of 55, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do ATI cards not work on SS7 boards? Im a big fan of the Rage 128 Pro im curious as to what a K6 III+ will score with this card.

It think testing different cards with a SS7 board would make for good video to show what cards would really shine with the k6.

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 9 of 55, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
goodtofufriday wrote:

I remember years ago I found a lot with a bunch of pc games including shogo. At that time i didnt care for old pc games so i tossed it out figuring I could DL them all later. /regret

I could send you copies of day of the tenticle. recently found the floppy disk version at the thrift.

All good, what I really need is time to actually try out some of the games I already have 😀

EDIT: I updated the first post and added the video link with benchmark charts and analysis. It ended up over 40 minutes 😵

Reply 10 of 55, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well.... As I understand the SS7 platform, then nothing is given in advance.
It's like a jungle out there. Something will work together and other stuff will not.
Most of the times. Things just work. Other times, it will not.
And if you get a bad hardware combo, then you are bound to run into trubble.

Ali-V are generally the most compatible platform by my experience.
MVP3 has the advantage of being slightly faster.

As an example of something wierd....
I had an Asus P5A rev. 1.03 and whenever I ran a K6-II-500 or K6-III-400,
it would be utterly unstable. It would not run any TNT2's or V3.
It was a decent and stable system with a K6-II-300 (I think, sold the P5A) and a Rage128.

I have another P5A (revision 1.04 or 1.06) that can run every V3 and TNT2 card and can
take up to K6-III-400 without any issues what so ever.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 11 of 55, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Considering how not-fast all the cards seems to run, the fastest S3 Savage 4 with latest drivers should not be bad for an overall config from older games to newer early Dx7 ones. The highest card that has any sense in my opinion is the Radeon 7200; advanced "time correct" chipset, still heatsink, -great- pcb layout, old and light drivers without excessive software package etc.. It will not be fast even half it could but it's a nice card.

Reply 12 of 55, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm actually itching to try out the ATI cards! These are new territory for me, the only card I now know a bit better is the Rage 128 Pro 😀

I have the latest drivers from AMD, but what would be a good source for older drivers? I got a few older ones that came with a CD bundled with another graphics card, might have to check that out.

Reply 13 of 55, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I didn't test the Rage 128 / Pro / Ultra a lot, I was surprised of vga signal quality but for speed I had the feeling it would really need a faster Duron/Athlon cpu. I had the Rage 128 standard (1999 AGP2X only), the Pro and also the "Ultra" with 32MB 5.5ns I think. The nice thing is that the Ultra seems to have a lower build process looking at the back of pcb and also thin heatsink.

Reply 14 of 55, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

I'm actually itching to try out the ATI cards! These are new territory for me, the only card I now know a bit better is the Rage 128 Pro 😀

I have the latest drivers from AMD, but what would be a good source for older drivers? I got a few older ones that came with a CD bundled with another graphics card, might have to check that out.

http://www.amd-drivers.com/amd-ati-graphics-drivers.html
edit: above link appears to only have the latest drivers for each card. This link seems to have some older versions:
http://www.amd-drivers.com/amd-ati-driver-version-list.html

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 15 of 55, by RetroBoogie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey Phil, watched the video and had a couple of questions.

Even though you recommend the TNT2, which card would be considered just fast enough to make the CPU the bottleneck? GF3 Ti 200?

What about doing some benchmarks for popular sound cards and their respective CPU overhead on SS7? ISA vs PCI, etc. Unless something like that is here already.

DOS and ATI don't gel for me, had nothing but issues.

Reply 16 of 55, by DoomGuy II

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice video series, Phil.

I've actually decided to go ahead and revisit my ASUS P5A motherboard with the Diamond Viper V770 (TNT2 Ultra), which I had so much trouble with in the past. I disabled AGP Turbo and lowered the Graphics Aperture Size, although the lowest I can go is 16MB. What I also did was install the ALI AGP drivers v1.9 and the V770 drivers as opposed to the old TNT2 drivers. I left Flight Simulator 98 running with the FS98 demonstration video overnight for close to around 7-8 hours. No crashes or freezes. Average FPS was around 60. I also ran Unreal for benchmarking and I got 21 FPS at 1024x768 and 23 FPS at 800x600. Again, no crashes, although I left it running for a short period of time.

Not necessarily holding my breath on this one though, but Flight Simulator 98 running for about 8 hours overnight with no hiccups seems like a good sign as opposed to running it for 15 minutes and then all of a sudden it protests. I may also try the older TNT2 drivers with the Viper and see if there are any performance differences.

Official Website: https://dg410.duckdns.org/

Reply 17 of 55, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DoomGuy II wrote:

Nice video series, Phil.

I've actually decided to go ahead and revisit my ASUS P5A motherboard with the Diamond Viper V770 (TNT2 Ultra), which I had so much trouble with in the past. I disabled AGP Turbo and lowered the Graphics Aperture Size, although the lowest I can go is 16MB. What I also did was install the ALI AGP drivers v1.9 and the V770 drivers as opposed to the old TNT2 drivers. I left Flight Simulator 98 running with the FS98 demonstration video overnight for close to around 7-8 hours. No crashes or freezes. Average FPS was around 60. I also ran Unreal for benchmarking and I got 21 FPS at 1024x768 and 23 FPS at 800x600. Again, no crashes, although I left it running for a short period of time.

Not necessarily holding my breath on this one though, but Flight Simulator 98 running for about 8 hours overnight with no hiccups seems like a good sign as opposed to running it for 15 minutes and then all of a sudden it protests. I may also try the older TNT2 drivers with the Viper and see if there are any performance differences.

Nice! Just shows that with a bit of effort you get these machines going.

RetroBoogie wrote:
Hey Phil, watched the video and had a couple of questions. […]
Show full quote

Hey Phil, watched the video and had a couple of questions.

Even though you recommend the TNT2, which card would be considered just fast enough to make the CPU the bottleneck? GF3 Ti 200?

What about doing some benchmarks for popular sound cards and their respective CPU overhead on SS7? ISA vs PCI, etc. Unless something like that is here already.

DOS and ATI don't gel for me, had nothing but issues.

It really depends on the games, so there is no set answer. Now if you're going to play at 1600 x 1200 with AA and AF, the TNT2 isn't goint to cut it 😀

Watch the space for a sound card review 😁

Reply 18 of 55, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Which cards beyond NVidia, ATI and 3DFX are you going to look at?

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 19 of 55, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
elianda wrote:

Which cards beyond NVidia, ATI and 3DFX are you going to look at?

I think that's it, got to draw the line somewhere I'm afraid...