VOGONS

DOS Shell

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by Galahad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I occasionally still use DOS Shell to this day, if I am also using the TrueDOS feature of System Commander to restore Real-Mode DOS functionality to my Windows Me classic gaming and MIDI box 😀 If you pre-load the right DOS USB drivers, USB sticks appear to work seamlessly in DOS Shell, IIRC.

Reply 21 of 23, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Galahad wrote:

I occasionally still use DOS Shell to this day, if I am also using the TrueDOS feature of System Commander to restore Real-Mode DOS functionality to my Windows Me classic gaming and MIDI box 😀 If you pre-load the right DOS USB drivers, USB sticks appear to work seamlessly in DOS Shell, IIRC.

Cool. I rarely used DOS Shell myself, but I remember I liked that "emerald" theme.
Btw, I am the only one who has occasionally and accidently typed doshell instead of dosshell at the prompt ? ^^

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 22 of 23, by Aideka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote:
Galahad wrote:

Cool. I rarely used DOS Shell myself, but I remember I liked that "emerald" theme.
Btw, I am the only one who has occasionally and accidently typed doshell instead of dosshell at the prompt ? ^^

Nope, I actually did it so often I just renamed the .exe to DOSHELL 😜

8zszli-6.png

Reply 23 of 23, by orinoko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If it wasn't for Dosshell, I would not have discovered Qbasic... I found it quite handy when I was given a second hand 386sx when I was a kid as the CRT had issues when switching to 640x480 mode in windows 3.1, whereas it was fine in textmode.

Having come from a 286 and Norton Commander (a really nice filemanager), using a DOS program with a mouse was quite an impressive thing for me.