VOGONS

First post, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm sure many of us here have, at some point in our lives, stupidly thrown away some item that we considered worthless because of its age or lack of usefulness due to acquiring newer, shinier hardware.

In my case I could think of my first PC case, one of those lovely generic beige AT cases with MHz display and all that, but it was so beat up that it doesn't make me feel too guilty. Also, my last 486 motherboard, with PCI slots and an AMD DX4-100, however I gifted it to a friend that couldn't afford a new board at the time when I upgraded to socket 7, so it seemed like the right thing to do.

But there is an item that I cannot forgive myself for recklessly trashing: my old Sound Blaster Pro 2 😢 It was my first sound card, that I used from 1994 up to late 1999. I don't remember the exact model but it was a PnP version with proprietary CD-ROM drive connector. The card, box and manuals were all in almost pristine condition. Until one day, after buying a Sound Blaster Live! X-Gamer I needed to clear some storage space and just threw the entire thing... my reasoning at the time was "I have an SB Live! now, I won't be needing this ancient piece of crap anymore!" 😠

As you can probably imagine, I regret having done that. Not to the point of buying an overpriced SBPro2 off e-bay, but anyway... 😢

So, what's the item you regret throwing away the most?

Reply 2 of 23, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ALL of this stuff... I had 4 years ago and donated it or recycled it. I regret it immensely. http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17ukppyxeqhdy … pg/original.jpg

I also donated a couple of Pentium 4 towers (a Sony VAIO and a Dell Dimension 8200) and a Dell Dimension XPS T550 that I upgraded to 1GHz, 768mb RAM, dual HDs, a Ti4200...

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 3 of 23, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:

There is already a thread for this.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=41410

Oops, did a search but for some reason couldn't find that thread. Mods, please feel free to close/merge this one.

Reply 4 of 23, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Seeing as the other thread hasn't had any replies in a year and a half, I'll continue this one.

A large stack (12+) Microdyne Exos205 network cards... some 8-bit, some 16-bit ISA. True dinosaurs, these cards never had AFAIK even drivers for Windows, and barely a functioning Linux one (to which I contributed..) For some reason they are quite sought after on ebay these days, I have seen a few go for hundreds of dollars.

A bunch of early Macintosh computers... In the early 2000s people were throwing them away without any second thoughts, and I picked them up at the corners of the streets in NYC. I had at one time a IIcx, a LCIII (complete with monitor), a Color Classic, a 7100 and parts of many others.

A 486 system based on a Octek Hippo DCA2 complete with 16MB of the "special" RAM, and a total of 5 IDE+SCSI hard drives (salvaged from other discarded machines, ranging from 40MB to 180MB). Boot drive was a 180MB SCSI drive attached to an Adaptec AHA1542CF, then the other 4 drives were composing a RAID0 array. Software RAID in Linux, of course, because I like to live dangerously.

Then at one time around 2004 I had to move, and I had no choice but to get rid of part of my collection. To save most of my PCs and PC parts, I chose to get rid of all the Apple stuff (except for a Beige G3 motherboard), the Exos205 cards and also of the 486 above. The only piece of that computer I kept is the AHA1542CF, still have that one to this day.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 6 of 23, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Everything in game boxes besides the stuff needed to play (registration card, company catalog, etc...)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 23, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheMobRules wrote:

Not to the point of buying an overpriced SBPro2 off e-bay, but anyway... 😢

Occasionally you can find them at non-obscene prices if you have patience... recently I found a SB Pro 2 Sony (CT1690) for little over $20.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 8 of 23, by GuyTechie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had a stack of Adaptec SCSI cards my friend just gave me, but this was at a time when SATA is already a thing. I kept it for a while, but threw them out since I didn't think anyone would ever want them. I still don't really have a need for them, but now that I own a house, I have the space, and I wish I have them around now. There was one specifically for a SCSI Zip Disk, and the godly Adaptec 2940U2W.

Also regret SELLING my Asus P2B-LS (which has the 2940U2W built in).

I'm pretty sure I threw out some old beige cases that I now wish I have for a retro PC build.

Just remembered more things I regretted getting rid of - SB AWE32, SB AWE64 Gold, SB Live! (a high end one - retail boxed), and the SB X-Fi Fatality (with the front bay I/O).

Slightly OT - the opposite - glad I kept my Canopus Pure 3D II VooDoo 2 card. 😀 I'm not sure why I kept it - even back then I knew it was special and I couldn't part with it. I remember upgrading it with the first ATI Radeon 64 MB DDR2. Original box, but I lost the bundled Quake II Mission Pack game. I regret not buying a 2nd one, how about that?

Last edited by GuyTechie on 2016-08-10, 22:31. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 9 of 23, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Complete working Apple IIe. Didn't actually "throw away" in the trash, but I donated it to my old elementary school well after its useful life, so they probably just threw it away themselves!

Lots of ISA sound cards including an AWE64 Gold.

Lots of old 486 and Pentium cpus.

This is a depressing topic...can we talk about something else?

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 10 of 23, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GuyTechie wrote:

I had a stack of Adaptec SCSI cards my friend just gave me, but this was at a time when SATA is already a thing. I kept it for a while, but threw them out since I didn't think anyone would ever want them. I still don't really have a need for them, but now that I own a house, I have the space, and I wish I have them around now. There was one specifically for a SCSI Zip Disk, and the godly Adaptec 2940U2W.

You'll be happy to know that I never got rid of any working SCSI gear... only threw away stuff that was broken beyond repair. Like a couple Zip drives with the click-of-death and a few HDDs that were dead as doorknobs.
I have a stack of SCSI cards and other parts, including cables, adapters, terminators and stuff. Most cards are Adaptec (incl some 2940UW and U2Ws, 29160/39160s etc) but the ones I prize the most are some Advansys and DPT cards. One DPT SmartRaidIII is complete with case, original manual, a pair of EPROMs containing the original BIOS, new EPROMS containing a newer BIOS installed on the card, and a hand-written letter from the head of technical support at DPT apologizing for a bug in the original BIOS, that accompanied the free upgrade they sent me because of a showstopper bug I had found. Now that was first class technical support. And then of course Adaptec bought DPT and it all went to hell.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 11 of 23, by GuyTechie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
stamasd wrote:
GuyTechie wrote:

You'll be happy to know that I never got rid of any working SCSI gear... only threw away stuff that was broken beyond repair. Like a couple Zip drives with the click-of-death and a few HDDs that were dead as doorknobs.

Well, I still have a Zip Drive Plus, and an ATAPI Zip Drive (just missing the door flap). At this point in time, I wish I still have that 25-pin SCSI card for that Zip Drive. Every disk still works (I have about 6 of them, including the original Zip Tools). I lost the driver floppy though (the one with the Guest.exe and Guest95.exe). I downloaded it somewhere, but it would have been nice to have it.

I regret loosing the Zip Drive Plus box... :p It got crushed by accident (though the it saved the drive, so I'm happy about that). Packaging doing its job...

Reply 12 of 23, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I threw away a full tower AT server case once, feel bad about it to this day. Had two 300w hotswap power supplies (one was already bricked).

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 13 of 23, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dominus wrote:

Everything in game boxes besides the stuff needed to play (registration card, company catalog, etc...)

Ha. My dad hated me playing games so I had to hide them from him. I not only had to get rid of the boxes and manuals, but also peel the labels off the disks and replace them with cryptic handwritten labels like "database project" or "homework #8".

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 14 of 23, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GuyTechie wrote:

I wish I still have that 25-pin SCSI card for that Zip Drive.

It will work with any narrow SCSI adapter. Been there, done that. If you want the original part, I think it was AVA-1502 or something like that. A really slow SCSI card that had only one advantage: very cheap.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 15 of 23, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote:

That just reminded me of throwing the boxes of several classic games: Indy and the Last Crusade, Maniac Mansion, Another World, Leisure Suit Larry, and the list goes on. I actually don't remember how/when I got rid of those boxes, but I probably thought that "this is taking too much space" and only kept the disks and the stuff needed for copy protection.

Only the Monkey Island box seems to have survived "the great box purge" and is now stuffed with all the code wheels, tables and copy protection booklets from the other games! 😁 Most of the disks eventually failed, but I had created backups that I stored on several formats accross the years.

clueless1 wrote:

This is a depressing topic...can we talk about something else?

I know! The feeling of guilt that prompted me to create the thread came when I opened the closet and look at the space previously occupied by the old SBPro 😢

Reply 16 of 23, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My original 8MB Creative Labs Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold ISA card and my original Diamond Stealth II G460 8MB AGP card, mainly because those were my first real parts. I, of course, still have the Pentium II, the ASUS P2B, and the 128MB PC-100 RAM.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 17 of 23, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There was another thread about this that was created just a couple months ago (its much newer than the one linked previously).

What is something you threw out that u regret

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 18 of 23, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Where do I begin? Let me see....

Wang PC-001
wangpc.jpg

Epson QX-10
EpsonQX10-setup.jpg

Epson RX-80 printer
Epson LX-800 printer
Vendex Headstart III

Computer Devices Inc. DOT portable computer with built-in thermal printer
dot_computer.jpg

IBM PC3270 with model F keyboard
IBM PS/2 Model 55SX
IBM AT clone system
Miniscribe 20MB MFM drive
Seagate ST-225
HP Vectra 4/25N

Reply 19 of 23, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My first family PC

Escom P75, 8mb Ram, 1mb Graphics card, 1Gb HD, 4x CD-ROM, Aztec SB-Pro compat. Windows 95.
I upgraded it to P133, 48mb Ram, 4mb ATi Rage PCI, 4Gb HD, 24x CD-ROM.

Voodoo 5 5500 PCI

Gave this away... Yup 😒

Cyrix Instead Build, 6x86 166+ | 32mb SD | 4mb S3 Virge DX | Creative AWE64 | Win95
ATC-S PIII Tualatin Win9x Build :- ATC-S PIII Coppermine Win9x Build Log [WIP] **Photo Heavy**