VOGONS

First post, by HansZ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've recently purchased from eBay Lucky Star LS-486E combo with AMD 486DX4-100 CPU and 32mb of RAM. As I only have one old 80MB IDE HD at my disposal, I've decided to use IDE/CF Adapter with 4GB CF card as my primary HD. Configuration is able to boot with old Maxtor 80MB hard drive into DOS, however every time I try to boot with CF card I'm being stuck on "Updating ESCD" problem...

I'm not sure if problem is CF card, cache memory or something else (BIOS configuration). I was able to install MSDOS 6.22 when booting from floppy drive. CF card was formated successfully into 2 partitions (primary and extended), installation went without a problem. Once I removed bootable ms-dos floppy, I would be again stuck on Updating ESCD" problem... Pictures attached.

20160813_145731.jpg
Filename
20160813_145731.jpg
File size
246.93 KiB
Views
File comment
Booting with CF card:
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
20160813_153056.jpg
Filename
20160813_153056.jpg
File size
211.09 KiB
Views
File comment
Booting 80MB HD with installed MSDOS:
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 2, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try booting from the DOS installation floppy, exit to the command line and type:

fdisk /mbr

For some reason when DOS is installed on a CF card you generally need to rewrite the master boot record afterwards, or it will get stuck trying to boot from the CF.

Reply 2 of 2, by HansZ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TheMobRules wrote:
Try booting from the DOS installation floppy, exit to the command line and type: […]
Show full quote

Try booting from the DOS installation floppy, exit to the command line and type:

fdisk /mbr

For some reason when DOS is installed on a CF card you generally need to rewrite the master boot record afterwards, or it will get stuck trying to boot from the CF.

Fixed, it works!!! Thanks 😀