VOGONS

First post, by Doppler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a little problem with my Win98 machine and 6800GS (AGP) drivers. When i shutdown the system I always get "windows protection error" and the system restarts after i press any key. When I uninstall the NVIDIA driver and exchange for a "standard vga graphics card" or install any old S3 or Radeon 9200 gpus I can close the system normally without any error. Why it behaves like that?

When I play any 3d games it just works normally, the GPU doesn't exceed 50-55'C, no artifacts or other errors typical for damaged GF6xxx. I'm sure the card is 100% good condition - it takes FurMark stress without any problems.

My specs:
Windows 98 SE + Unofficial SP3 v3.56
ASRock Conroe865PE mainboard
Celeron 2,66 (Auto FSB133)
256MB PC3200 (Auto 133Mhz)
80GB PATA Samsung disk
Yamaha YMF724
Palit GF6800GS AGP 256bit/256bit (Forceware 81.98)
Nothing is OC'd, 1:1 divider, everything in BIOS on AUTO, every unnecessary port/function also switched off in BIOS.

Any suggestions please?

Last edited by Doppler on 2016-08-14, 14:47. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 3, by Doppler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Problem Solved.

Installed NVIDIA Forceware 77.72 drivers and the problem has gone. Everything works like it should. No more "windows protection error".

Tried the unnofficial 82.69 modded drivers but they also gave me shutdown error. So 100% windows 98 compatible is 77.72 only.

Reply 2 of 3, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm guessing that's the PCIe version? Because I thought the AGP version was not compatible with Win98 except for modded drivers. Glad you got it fixed.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 3 of 3, by Doppler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oops! forgot to write this 😁

It is GeForce 6800GS AGP card. I tried the modified drivers just to see if there will be any difference in resolving protection error - and as I said - without luck.

I'll correct my first post 😀

So to summarize:

If you want to shutdown Windows98 properly on this hardware set - install NVIDIA Forceware 77.72 drivers.