VOGONS

First post, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Like most here I have been seeing more and more auctions where a lot of items is pictured but you only get the choice of "one" out of the lot vs how 99.995% of how everyone else does it where what you see is what you get. I have avoided these bull shit auctions until bidding on one by accident and frankly I despise the practice as it is annoying pissing people off. If you got crap that you want to sell but don't want it going for chicken feed make individual fucking listings like everyone else and some of these sellers are ANNOYING! 😠

Why for the love of God do some of these retro item sellers have to be so ridiculous, I should start leaving negative feed back more often instead of being forgiving especially when it comes to poor packaging ect. Even had a board come in wrapped in a trash bag stuffed into a box full of styrofoam peanuts ffs.

My advice AVOID these sort of auctions unless you have a good idea of what sort of seller that you are dealing with or willing to take some risk.

Last edited by nforce4max on 2016-08-14, 00:23. Edited 1 time in total.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 1 of 7, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah. I have seen them too. I know they are not true hoaxes. I just have that hoax feel whenever I see them.

It's not only retro stuff. You see them too, at those usb hdd enclosure sales add. They list the cable as the default item, and the items go straight to the top when sorted by lowest price. Scam/hoax? I don't know. It shure ain't a nice practice.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 2 of 7, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

They're likely doing it to save on listing fees, and / or being lazy asses. Then there's the "insanely cheap item with outrageous shipping charges" seller.

Reply 3 of 7, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's indeed annoying... I was a victim of that when I got a processor a while back, the one displayed in more detail on the pictures looked brand new, what I got was a dirty, bent pin abomination. It was so cheap that I didn't bother to open a case, I just spent one afternoon straightening pins. 😒

Now, this would be kind of the opposite situation, where there is no option but to buy the complete lot:

Pentium Overdrive Overdose!

Reply 4 of 7, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
brostenen wrote:

They list the cable as the default item, and the items go straight to the top when sorted by lowest price. Scam/hoax? I don't know. It shure ain't a nice practice.

How else would you expect them to do it? Someone searching for a cable for a WonderWidget is going to do a search for a "WonderWidget cable". They can't very well call it something else, even if it's an inconvenience for people searching for a WonderWidget.

TheMobRules wrote:

It's indeed annoying... I was a victim of that when I got a processor a while back, the one displayed in more detail on the pictures looked brand new, what I got was a dirty, bent pin abomination. It was so cheap that I didn't bother to open a case, I just spent one afternoon straightening pins.

In that case, can't you file an "Item Not As Described" case?

Also I can straighten those pins in fifteen minutes, tops, but I guess I got a lot of practice.

Reply 5 of 7, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:

How else would you expect them to do it? Someone searching for a cable for a WonderWidget is going to do a search for a "WonderWidget cable". They can't very well call it something else, even if it's an inconvenience for people searching for a WonderWidget.

I would expect anyone listing the right stuff accompanied by the right headline text.
If the headline text in a listing is "External UCB Harddrive enclosure", I would expect the listing to be that exact thing.
Not just the case sold out, and the cable as the only avaliable item.

And I expect people to search for "USB cable for external harddrive" when they are searching for a cable.
I fully expect people to at least, include the word "cable" in a search on eBay.
If people are stupid enough not to search, using the word "cable", then they should not be using eBay.

That's what I expect in my case, as well as the lot's described by OP.

Reply 6 of 7, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Brickpad wrote:

They're likely doing it to save on listing fees, and / or being lazy asses. Then there's the "insanely cheap item with outrageous shipping charges" seller.

Yeah.... That's a problem too. Not to say that it might be handy, in cases were the state begins to charge import taxes and vatt, when the selling price exceed's the equivelant of just under 12 US Dollars. If the combined price is well below what you pay for item + vatt + import charges + shipping costs on other items. Then why not? Let's take the Compaq Voodoo3-3500 I bought as an example.
I got it for 10,5 US Dollars (yes, the cheap one from the US) last year, and payd 22 US Dollars for the shipping alone.
This was a lot cheaper than a regulair 3500, that were on sale in Europe at that time, and I got a model with normal VGA connector.

I am not saying that crazy shipping costs are good. By far they are. Just that in some rare cases, then it might be a blessing.

Reply 7 of 7, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
brostenen wrote:

And I expect people to search for "USB cable for external harddrive" when they are searching for a cable.
I fully expect people to at least, include the word "cable" in a search on eBay.
If people are stupid enough not to search, using the word "cable", then they should not be using eBay.

But my point is, they could just as easily be searching for "USB external harddrive cable" or "cable for USB external harddrive", in which case a seller's listing for a "USB external harddrive cable" will still turn up in a search for "USB external harddrive".

I agree that it is highly questionable if the seller is only trying to sell a cable and doesn't include the word "cable" in the listing title – but then the item is unlikely to be found by those people actually looking for a cable, so there's no reason for a seller do that.