VOGONS

First post, by Ziginox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found this the other day at a thrift store and figured I might need it in the future. 😊
Does anybody know what it goes it? The cable is about 20cm long, one end is a DA-15 connector with a joystick logo printed on the housing, obviously a game port. The other end has twelve pins (4x4 grid with three missing in the rounded corner and one in the middle.)

DSC18542_zpswfdedbaw.jpg

Perhaps it goes to a laptop or to some sort of combo PCI/ISA card, such as sound and modem.

Reply 1 of 15, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It almost looks like it could go to a game console, too. You've got me curious now. Hope someone can ID it for you.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2 of 15, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think that's for hooking up Sega Saturn gamepads to the Diamond Edge 3d. It's a rare (and pretty expensive now) card nowadays. If you don't have the card, please list it on an auction site so someone who does have one can make use of it.

Reply 4 of 15, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All the Diamond Edge 3d cards I've seen had what looked like an RJ-45 connector on the back. That's only been on auction sites and whatnot though.

If it weren't for the joystick stamp on the plastic I'd really assume this was a proprietary Midi cable.

Reply 5 of 15, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's the wrong gender, isn't it? A PC gameport is already female. Accordingly, it must be used to plug a PC game controller into something else. Some kind of device to simulate autofire, perhaps? Or to change the game controller output to keyboard controls? Perhaps a wireless adapter?

A Google image search turns up nothing useful, alas.

Reply 6 of 15, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wonder if this could be something to connect, say, a joystick to a corresponding throttle; e.g. the joystick could be used by itself, but you'd use the adapter to connect to a throttle option?

Reply 7 of 15, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ziginox, I think you got pretty close to the truth. I bet you anything it goes to a laptop, or to a laptop docking station. But I could be wrong, of course.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 8 of 15, by Ziginox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote:

Ziginox, I think you got pretty close to the truth. I bet you anything it goes to a laptop, or to a laptop docking station. But I could be wrong, of course.

Yeah, I have a similar cable for my ThinkPad 760ED, except it uses a micro centronics-style plug. However, the weird square DIN-plug seems unsuitable for a laptop.

Last edited by Ziginox on 2016-08-16, 18:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 15, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, agreed, the only time I've ever seen plugs like that is on video cards, which go to breakout boxes for s-video, RGB output and stuff like that. But you never know.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 10 of 15, by Ziginox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, it very much does look like the plugs the All In Wonder X600 used. I looked into the Diamond Edge 3D. While it has a DA-15 dongle, the end that plugs into the computer is an 8P8C connector (like 10base-T ethernet.)

Reply 15 of 15, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ziginox wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:

Looks abit like a neigeo cable. Pin Layout wise

Thanks for mentioning that, I wasn't aware that Neo Geo also used DA-15 plugs for controllers. 😀

According to this, it uses plugs that are deeper than usual, while the one on your cable is a normal one. However, it might be an adapter cable allowing you to connect a game controller meant for a PC to a game console, an obscure one. Alternatively, it could be a breakout cable for providing a system (laptop?) with proprietary ports with a standard game port.