VOGONS

First post, by Doppler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi again 😁

Does anyone want to record some Doom E1M1 midi playback and share it here?
Need to hear how the cards listed below sound like, because I dont know if they're worth the hassle:

Trident 4Dwave
AvanceLogic ALS4000
Crystal CS4280 & CS4630 (are there any differences between tese two models)?
ESS Maestro-2 / Allegro / Canyon3D
VLSI ThunderBird128

I'll share a recording from Yamaha YMF724 in few days.

Thanks for help!

Reply 1 of 9, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some of these cards (Crystal) just use a DLS format general midi soundbank. This DLS bank can be extracted from the driver and used on any system, with Winamp for example.

If you want to improve the midi output of your YMF724, search for 'PowerYMF'.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 2 of 9, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Stay away from the 4DWave-NX for MIDI purposes. It's a shame that it works so bad as it's the only sound chip I know of that can load soundfonts (.SF2) in pure DOS mode. The 4DWave-DX might work better, but I think it only supports the proprietary .SLB format

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 9, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Doppler wrote:

Whats wrong with 4Dwave-NX?

Wrong instruments (it often replacese other instruments with the piano), missing instruments and hanging notes. In Windows it actually works better with some 3rd party soundfonts like the "Masterpiece.sf2".

I supplied a recording of Doom E1M1 running in pure DOS using the supplied "GM50NX.SF2" soundfont, I tricked it into sounding about right. 😜

Attachments

YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 9, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Doppler wrote:

VLSI ThunderBird128

Made a recording of my Philips Acoustic Edge PSC706 that should be a close relative of the VLSI ThunderBird128, even it's sound bank it's called TBIRDHD.DLS. The Acoustic Edge is the first sound card I tried that automatically plays whatever you put into the MIDI in of the board, this happens on both Windows and DOS drivers.

Attachments

YouTube channel

Reply 6 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi everyone!

Don't know if you already know this, but these sites also have a sound card comparison (incl. Doom songs).

http://www.amoretro.de/soundkarten-und-wavetable-recordings

http://sound.dosforum.de/

Anyway, I 'm looking forward to see err... I mean "hear" some nice recordings here. 😀

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 9, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jo22 wrote:

Don't know if you already know this, but these sites also have a sound card comparison (incl. Doom songs).

There was this initiative from vogons users to gather some midi recordings for comparison. It has actually been shrinking since then. But the main effort can still be found here: Vogons: Sound Card Recordings (by Swaaye)
My effort is somehow missing there, but zipped up for download in this vogons topic.
Also there are quite a few midi recordings on Salient's site.
Altogether, that is lot more info compared to a decade ago. Back then I just had to blindly trust the reviews without actual midi recordings. 🤣

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 8 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thank's a lot, gerwin! I wasn't so much around at vogons at the time! 😅
So I've got "to make up leeway" (yikes! hope that's the right term-my English dictionary says so.. 😊 )

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//