VOGONS

First post, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I know that the original 1984 version of this game is one of the oldest DOS games around, but I've been wanting to play it on my IBM 5150 (upgraded with an EGA card and a TinyTurbo 286 7.16Mhz).

I have a clunky old Quickshot QS201 joystick, but I'm having some issues using it with Elite. The main issue is that pushing the joystick to its maximum in any direction only pushes the game's axis about 3/4 of the way. This means really slow pitch\role maneuvers. After switching back to keyboard controls you can use the arrow keys and the axis goes all the way to full and the controls are more responsive... but without analog controls its extremely hard to aim at anything.

When I test the controller in Checkit it seems to go all the way to the edges, but it also says that its way down at the bottom of the screen when centered... so I don't know how accurate Checkit is for this (games do not seem to think the controller is messed up like this).

Is there any way to adjust settings for generic joysticks in DOS 3.3 or for this game in particular? I doubt the game has any configuration options, since it is only a single .exe file, but I would hope there'd be some way to adjust this, aside from getting an even older joystick. This one is from 1994-1995 as it is...

Any help would be much appreciated!

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 1 of 1, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Still can't find anything about this online.

Is there any way to adjust the sensitivity\deadzone\threshold of a joystick in DOS 3.3, so that it will work differently in games?

Has anyone run into this problem before, where a joystick doesn't provide the full range of motion in a specific game? Is there any way to fix it, and is it joystick specific?

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.