VOGONS

Duke Nukem 2 ADPCM fix?

Topic actions

First post, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I extracted the SB_x.MNI files from NUKEM2.CMP.

But now i need a comverter that can convert Sound Blaster ADPCM VOC files to Uncompressed PCM VOC files.

Can somebody help me. This conversion should fix OPL-SAx and other Clone card issues.

Or maybe someone has allready done such a conversion.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.

Reply 2 of 36, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dr.zeissler wrote:

What is the goal of this?

This conversion should fix OPL-SAx and other Clone card issues.

🤣

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 3 of 36, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

SB_x.MNI files are standard Sound Blaster VOC files, and few of them are compressed with Sound Blaster 8-2 or 8-3 ADPCM codec, but Duke Nukem 2 can play 8-4 ADPCM and uncompressed PCM files also. So you just have to convert them, and then leave those converted files in Duke Nukem 2 directory, and it will use them. The point is that Yamaha OPL-SAx do not play 8-2 and 8-3 ADPCM files in hardware, but Duke Nukem 2 is one of few games that relies on full Sound Blaster hardware decompression.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.

Reply 4 of 36, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I believe old versions of Cool Edit are able to open SB ADPCM .VOC files, might be able to save as uncompressed. Why don't you give it a try?

Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 7 of 36, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I ask and I answer, i used Blaster Master 6.2, it is a dos sound program. Only it can not open 3 files, i think because they are too small, but those files are not compressed, Because Audacity does open them, and plays them. These files are SB_17.MNI SB_19.MNI and SB_22.MNI. All else i converted and uncompressed. Now everithing woks with external files, now i am trying to incorporate the new files to NUKEM2.CMP.

Reply 9 of 36, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well i am a fan on Duke Nukem 2, and i do have 4xOPL-SA3 (3 of them with wavetable headers, and they do not have a hanging note bug) based sound cards, so i just started doing things.

Reply 10 of 36, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do any other game have that same ADPCM (2-8) (3-8) sound output issue?

Reply 11 of 36, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

By the way, I'll have to check my SB Pro V2 software. I seem to recall it had some software to record, compress and play VOC files, including ADPCM ones. Might also have a decompressor in there.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 12 of 36, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cyberdyne wrote:

I ask and I answer, i used Blaster Master 6.2, it is a dos sound program. Only it can not open 3 files, i think because they are too small, but those files are not compressed, Because Audacity does open them, and plays them. These files are SB_17.MNI SB_19.MNI and SB_22.MNI. All else i converted and uncompressed. Now everithing woks with external files, now i am trying to incorporate the new files to NUKEM2.CMP.

Wow just wow, I can't wait for this! Didn't even realize it was a thing until I tried playing my beloved Duke Nukem 2 on newer hardware.

WIP: 486DX2/66, 16MB FastPage RAM, TsengLabs ET4000 VLB
Check out my Retro-Ghetto build (2016 Update) 😀
Commodore 128D, iBook G3 "Clamshell"
3DO M2, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, NES, SNES, N64, GBC

Reply 13 of 36, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyberdyne wrote:

now i am trying to incorporate the new files to NUKEM2.CMP.

Are you using Camoto? http://www.shikadi.net/moddingwiki/Camoto

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 14 of 36, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, my work computer does not allow to install new software, but i got a portable dosbox, and portable Duke2Edit, but no portable Camoto, so i e-mailed my project files to myself, and if i have time in home, then i will try to repack NUKEM2.CMP.

Reply 15 of 36, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Put these files inside archive to your duke nukem 2 directory, and try for yourself, feedback appreaciated.

Attachments

• Filename
    Duke2FIX.rar
    File size
    30.79 KiB
    Downloads
    318 downloads
    File comment
    Duke ADPCM sound fix.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 16 of 36, by Stretch

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I extracted the files into the Duke Nukem 2 directory, but I do not get any audio output.

I use Dosbox Megabuild6 in Win98SE for hardware OPL output on a Yamaha YMF-744.

Duke Nukem 2 will not allow me to enable soundblaster or adlib with oplmode=hardware in the dosbox config.

The Duke Nukem 2 I am using is from GOG.

Win 11 - Intel i7-1360p - 32 GB - Intel Iris Xe - Sound BlasterX G5

Reply 17 of 36, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am not familiar with that kind of a setup, but in a real PC with OPL-SAx, originally you get sound effects, but only few of them, but with these files, you get all sounds.

Reply 18 of 36, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'll give it a go on my 386 that uses a SW20-PC, it's crystal based

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 19 of 36, by GuyTechie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for this! I'm going to try it out when I get home. As you may know, I have one of the Yamaha Audacian Plus 32.

Should I try this with disabling L1 cache, or just leave everything full speed? I know disabling L1 cache did fix the sound issue at the intro, but not all sounds were still playing in-game. Also disabling L1 cache is too slow for actual game play. Disabling L2 cache doesn't fix the intro sound issue either. (PII-400 and P3-650).