VOGONS

First post, by Nipedley

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys

I just (almost) completed my 486 build in a modern case, and thought I'd share some piccies. I've been wanting to own a 486 for many years, and it finally dawned upon me to build one instead. I knew it would be quite a challenge. It was quite involved, I had to use a dremel to remove part of the 5 1/4 drive cage as it was in the way of the motherboard. Then I used a drill and 6/32 tap to make new holes for AT standoffs (all populated except where the case has a cutout, not much I can do about that!). I wanted all of the AT features so I replaced the ATX power switch with a latching one so I can use the original power button, bought a keyswitch, a switch for the turbo button and an led for the turbo led, and a NOS MHz LED display and wired it all up. I had to buy DuPont connectors and terminals to make the wiring for it, and then use a drill, dremel and file to fit them onto a 5 1/4 drive bay blanking plate. I think it turned out pretty good!

Specs:
EXP4044 Socket 3 MB, 256KB cache
16MB RAM
Intel 486DX2-66 CPU
Pentium cooler w/ 40mm fan glued on
Fan controller in lower 3 1/2 drive bay (front and rear and cpu)
Yamaha Audician 32 Plus sound card
Kentech VLB IDE Floppy Serial I/O card
Spea V7 Mirage VLB 1MB VGA card
3com 3c509 Ethernet card
DOS 6.22 w/ Windows for Workgroups 3.11 and Windows 95 dual boot on a 2GB CF card
Samsung 48x IDE CD-ROM
5.25" Floppy (1.2MB)
3.5" Floppy (1.4MB)
Fullsize AT PC speaker (hiding in the bottom)

Still todo:
I want to put some black film over the MHz LED display, to cover up my marks and make it look smarter (it was very hard to cut the hole the exact size)
Cut a hole in an ATX I/O shield for the AT keyboard port and use foil to mask the rest and fit it
I have the chips to upgrade my V7 Mirage VLB VGA card to 2MB but when I install them the computer sometimes crashes with strange VGA output, need to look into that

Attachments

Reply 1 of 7, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nicely done! This is something I've thought of doing, but I haven't been motivated enough to move forward. I've got a potential source for a NIB AT 486/Turbo case, so I'm being patient on that front. Will you keep your 5 1/4 drive beige or paint it black?

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 3 of 7, by Nipedley

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks guys, I really wanted to build it in an AT case but I couldn't find any in my country (United Kingdom), and shipping from overseas was just too much. The only AT cases I could find around were very late ones that didn't have turbo button or the MHz display, and still had an ATX I/O slot on the back, so I thought I might as well go ahead with an ATX build instead. I was thinking about painting the 5.25" floppy bezel black but I've grown to love the beigeness 😀

A 486 IBM Aptiva was the first IBM compatible machine I ever had, and I've wanted to recreate that for years but haven't been able to find a working Aptiva system for anywhere near reasonable money. I still have the Aptiva software booklet, so this will do ! Fun times ahead 😀

P.S Phil your modern 486 build video was great inspiration particularly with using CF cards! I love watching your retro hardware reviews and builds

Reply 4 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Keep an eye out for a black 5.25 drive, Always thought it was a funny colour all those years ago as PC's were grey then beige but now they fit right in.
Better air flow in modern case as well and always nice to see another 486 come alive 😀

Reply 5 of 7, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great setup. Is the case an ANTEC VSK-4000E? I've got one like this too. Good job on the mods, I would personally put the case badge on the front of the case and try to find a black 5.25" floppy drive, but it looks nice anyway.

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 6 of 7, by Nipedley

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It is an Antec VSK-4000E 😀 Very nice cases, I have my Pentium III and Pentium 4 builds in them as well (but with much less modification!). You're right about the case badge, it was one of the first things I did before I had the rest of the system built, and it would suit it better on the front.

I didn't even realise there were black 5.25 floppy drives available, I'll keep my eye out for one