VOGONS

First post, by SpaceCowboy87

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I came across an old 740 sff at my local pc repair shop. I always thought these were cool because of their small size. The pc is missing its optical drive and hdd. aside from that it seems to be in good shape. Id like to drop a low-profile gpu and use it for moderate gaming (early 2000's). It sports an Amd Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 2.3Ghz cpu (65w), I know the processor isn't very powerful but at least its a dual core. I'm thinking of a GT 710 for the gpu since anything higher may be overkill and the 710 can be had for around $30 US. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make this system better? I will post pics soon.

Reply 1 of 5, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Double check the caps on the motherboard and PSU, as SFF machines tend to be stressed by heat quite a bit more than those with larger enclosures.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2 of 5, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Check the caps and add better cooling. If it's anything like the 620, the hot air coming off the CPU blew across the capacitors, shortening their life spans.

Reply 3 of 5, by SpaceCowboy87

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ill take a closer look. The PSU is also missing. My biggest concern is heat dissipation in such a small case. Don't know if i should opt for a GPU with passive heatsink or at least a small fan

Reply 4 of 5, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SpaceCowboy87 wrote:

Ill take a closer look. The PSU is also missing. My biggest concern is heat dissipation in such a small case. Don't know if i should opt for a GPU with passive heatsink or at least a small fan

You need a fan. Don't passive-cool anything in that case. If you can find one, try and locate a slot cooler that fits a SFF case (if they exist).

Reply 5 of 5, by SpaceCowboy87

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There isn't much space in that case for any additional fans. I'm gonna order a 3.5 to 2.5 inch bracket to accommodate an SSD where the floppy disk was and eventually a slim CD drive, I still like having the ability to burn a CD. Since the case was found missing its HDD caddy it has a good amount of space where the hard-disk resided. I had the idea of replacing the stock 80mm fan that draws air onto the cpu with a green LED fan but after removing the fan assembly I realize just how beast the stock SUNON fan is (5700 rpm moving 84.1 CFM) No aftermarket LED fan comes oven remotely close to that. I watched a video of a young guy stressing how those fans draw hot air off the CPU heatsink and over the motherboard and out the back of the case saying this melts capacitors and kills the life of the mobo. He suggested turning the fan around so hot air gets blown out and away from the CPU drawing cool air thru the back. Is that something I should worry about? The processor only has a TDP of 65