VOGONS

First post, by mzry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Heya,

I need some help! I recently got a Parhelia to complement my V2 SLI setup, but I cannot work out how to choose which default OpenGL driver for the system to use. This is on Win2K. Quake 3 always goes to use the 3dfxvgl ICD and not the matrox one. I even tried deleting 3dfxvgl.dll from system32 hoping it would choose the matrox one but it was still looking for the 3dfx one.

Any advice much appreciated, thanks 😀

Reply 1 of 7, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When I wanted to do the reverse thing with a game using the Q3 engine, I had to rename 3dfxvgl.dll to opengl32.dll to use my sli. You should try to remove opengl32.dll from the game's files (if it exists)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 3 of 7, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Properly written OpenGL code on Windows will go via the ICD interface: 'Installable Client Driver'.
This means the application can get a list of all installed OpenGL drivers, and pick the one they one (or let the user pick).
You can see this list with GPU Caps Viewer for example: http://www.ozone3d.net/gpu_caps_viewer/

If Quake 3 always picks the 3dfx driver, then chances are that Q3 just picks the first driver it finds/the default driver, and that happens to be the 3dfx one.
I don't know if there are any tools to modify the list, but at the very least you can find the drivers in the registry, see here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/wind … ror=-2147217396
You could try modifying the order of these drivers, or removing the 3dfx one from the registry. Then the Matrox one should be chosen.
If that works, you could create some simple .reg files to switch between OGL drivers.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 5 of 7, by mzry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

voodoo47: Sorry man I've tried that

Scali: Thanks for the info, but gpu caps viewer won't execute on my 32bit win2k P3 system. I also checked the registry as suggested - nothing there. I even did a search for the two ICD's 3dfxvgl.dll and MTXOGL.dll and neither come up oddly. Really strange.

So I honestly don't know at this stage. Like voodoo suggested, even getting MTXOGL.dll and renaming it to OpenGL32.dll and dropping it in Q2 or Q3 folders, setting to 'default opengl' brings up software mode in Q2 and in Q3 it just defaults reverts to the voodoo ICD. Oddly D3D works perfectly well on the Parhelia.

BTW I have tested 4 different driver versions from different years.

Ideally what I'm trying to achieve is D3D and OGL for the Parhelia, and Glide for the V2's. So close 🤣 😀

Reply 6 of 7, by Tuxality

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
voodoo47 wrote:

search the windows system folder for 3dfxVGL.dll, and delete or rename it. or find the matrox opengl icd, rename it to opengl32.dll, and drop it to the Q3 folder.

mzry wrote:

Like voodoo suggested, even getting MTXOGL.dll and renaming it to OpenGL32.dll and dropping it in Q2 or Q3 folders, setting to 'default opengl' brings up software mode in Q2 and in Q3 it just defaults reverts to the voodoo ICD.

You can't rename OpenGL ICD to opengl32.dll and expect it to work as MiniGL.
ICD works in a different way and even exports different API to start with, it begins with Drv* like for example DrvCreateContext, DrvGetProcAddress etc.

It's worth to add that from what I know only 3DFX OpenGL ICD (3dfxvgl.dll) can be used as MiniGL because it exports most needed functions instead of only ICD ones, not all because it's missing some very obscure one and non belonging to OpenGL anyway.

Last edited by Tuxality on 2016-08-28, 10:23. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 7, by voodoo47

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been running V2 sli along a R9800 for quite a while, and I remember that tweaking was sometimes necessary if I didn't want an opengl game to pick the 3dfx cards, but this has never been a real issue - as mentioned, just a matter of getting the 3dfx opengl/minigl driver out of the way.

I would remove the 3dfx cards, put in a different drive, make a quick clean install of the OS and the Parhelia drivers, and run a few quick tests to see whether opengl works as it should.

3Dfx Help Page