VOGONS

First post, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Simple question: Can you load soundfonts for use in DOS games (played via Windows DOS box) with SB Live?

I recall that I used to be able to do this, but I recently installed an SB0060 on a BX system, and regardless of what soundfont I load via AudioHQ, the GM music in games like Duke3D and Descent sounds the same.

Might the problem have something to do with my Multimedia settings in Control Panel (below)? However, I tried all of the options with no difference in output.

Everything else installed and works fine, including the SB16 emulation for digital audio.

mmprop.jpg
Filename
mmprop.jpg
File size
47.46 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by boxpressed on 2016-08-30, 14:29. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 4, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stretch wrote:

Nope, you have to use Dosbox to make use of soundfonts. The windows command.com will load the ecw synth file.

I'm not sure about the question, but I'm almost certain that an SB0060 isn't going to do a thing with ECW files.

Reply 3 of 4, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Now that I think about it, what Stretch said sounds familiar. Doesn't the Live! (as well as earlier Ensoniq PCI cards) access the DEFAULT.ECW file for its patch set for GM in DOS? IIRC, there are 2MB, 4MB, and 8MB versions of the set.

Reply 4 of 4, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah, my mistake.

The ".ecw" file format (Ensoniq Concert Wavetable) was never made open as had been hoped for by enthusiasts.[1] Consequently, there are very few custom wave sets available, in contrast to the huge availability of home-made releases in E-mu's SoundFont format. It was particularly unfortunate because the AudioPCI used system RAM for patch set storage which in itself offers tremendous potential for new patch sets over the traditional ROM storage previously used. It is also disappointing considering the incredible popularity and longevity of the Ensoniq ES1370 chipset and its descendants, some of which were still in use six years after the original AudioPCI board, and the fact that DOS drivers for the far newer Sound Blaster Audigy still use ".ecw" wave sets. These newer cards are unable to use SoundFonts in DOS, limiting them to the three official .ecw wavesets from the late '90s and one incomplete unofficial waveset.[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ensoniq_AudioPCI#Features