VOGONS

First post, by JackH

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently "saved" Clevo 2850 laptop from my workplace (not used after 2007?), which have that soundchip integrated. It's original hdd (Win 98 installed) was extremely slow, bad condition. So I took other hdd (Win ME installed) from my Compaq Armada 7800 for testing this Clevo. Win ME suggest "yamaha ds1 native audio driver" at the startup, so I installed it. Sounds were working, but when I look Control panel, Sounds&Multimedia, Midi playback did not have DS-XG synth option, only MS GS synth, Yamaha opl3-synth, Yamaha MPU401. Then I tried instal this driver "WDM Driver Win 98SE/Me/2000 DirectX8 works with WDM driver (v. 5.12.01.2228)" from here http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/lsi/download/ , but after restart pc, I have no sound at all and speaker image in the downright corner disappeared. At some point "Windows found new device, PCI Multimedia Audio Device" I tried instal that, but it did not found on the Win ME cd. I uninstalled that "WDM..." driver and tried this older one "Win 95/98/Me
v. 4.07.1040 (DirectX7 Certified)" from the same page, it did not help. Any suggestion what to do?

Last edited by JackH on 2016-09-04, 13:17. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 2 of 9, by JackH

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Those page links not working? For example, I tried download this SONY YMF744B_512012229.exe Win98/2K WDM, which is a little bit newer than one I tried before. I assume that 2K drivers would work in Win ME. I also found this page http://www.soundcard-drivers.com/companies/1165.htm , but download links not working either.

Reply 3 of 9, by JackH

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have tried many different DS-XG drivers, every time they installed fine and they show up in add or remove manager, but still windows keep telling me that PCI Multimedia Audio Device missing? I am in kind of same situation as "sabotenda" http://forums.windrivers.com/showthread.php?8 … a-YMF744B-Audio I can't find that YMF744_WMe.zip which solved that. The multimedia&sound manager is grayed like in this guide http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000208.htm Windows 95, 98, or ME step 3.

Reply 4 of 9, by Stretch

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I used google translate on this link and found a method to clean your Windows system of the Yamaha drivers so you can install from scratch.

【YAMAHA】YMF-7x4シリーズ友の会 7枚目【ヤマハ】 - 2ちゃ

Here is the translated text method you can try:

Please check the device name in the Device Manager. > If is "YAMAHA Native DS1 WDM Driver", is the 3662 driver. > I think that i […]
Show full quote

Please check the device name in the Device Manager.
> If is "YAMAHA Native DS1 WDM Driver", is the 3662 driver.
> I think that it is the standard of the drivers in a long Unlike XP installation of the CD.
>
> 3662 the case of the driver, I think that it did not recognize the other driver If you do not delete.
> Delete procedure,
"YAMAHA Legacy DS1 WDM Driver" from> device manager,
> "YAMAHA Native DS1 WDM Driver", delete the "Game port for Yamaha DS1"
> · C: Delete the oem * .inf and oem * .PNF file from the \ WINDOWS \ inf
> (* Because the number changes in the order in which you want to install,
> Delete only those of YAMAHA check the contents open in Notepad)
> · C: Delete the ds1wdm.sys from \ WINDOWS \ system32 \ drivers
> Then, to install the reference driver without rebooting.
> Disconnect the LAN cable or the like, and then restart it to state that it can not connect to the Internet.
> After logging on, the name of the "YAMAHA DS-XG PCI Audio CODEC (WDM)" in the task tray
> Search of the device is a success if Hajimare.

I do not know is whether the method that can be used in 2000, 5245 has entered the safe in the meantime XP in this
(Item is also seen probably all)

Win 11 - Intel i7-1360p - 32 GB - Intel Iris Xe - Sound BlasterX G5

Reply 5 of 9, by JackH

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There is no "YAMAHA Legacy DS1 WDM Driver" or Game port for Yamaha DS1" in the device manager. I can't find "inf" folder in "Windows" folder. I found & delete this "ds1wdm.sys" in system32 \ drivers.

Reply 6 of 9, by Stretch

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I attached a screenshot on how my sound card shows up in device manager and how to search the inf and pnf files.

In my case if I didn't have the uninstaller, I would remove the maxi sound entries in device manager, and backup and delete the guillemot inf and same pnf.

You have to open the inf in notepad to see if it matches your sound card.

Disconnect the LAN cable and restart Windows.

When Windows prompts you for driver software, cancel the requests.

Then run the yamaha_dsxg_driver.exe installer for Win 95/98/Me v. 4.07.1040 (DirectX7 Certified).

After the next restart Windows should detect the hardware by itself.

Attachments

• Filename
    yamaha2.png
    File size
    11.39 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File comment
    Device manager and inf file search
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 9, by JackH

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thx for the help, but I solved it by myself. I switched back to that original hdd (Win98SE) & run the Scandisk (should have try before). It took like a hour, but it found at least some 4 "fragmented files", which I delete. Surprisingly W98SE became faster and now sound working, except some hi-pitch sound from right channel, when moving mouse? Caused by interference from laptop dc-board's coils, which also make a little bit hi-pitch noise?

Reply 8 of 9, by Stretch

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
JackH wrote:

Thx for the help, but I solved it by myself. I switched back to that original hdd (Win98SE) & run the Scandisk (should have try before). It took like a hour, but it found at least some 4 "fragmented files", which I delete. Surprisingly W98SE became faster and now sound working, except some hi-pitch sound from right channel, when moving mouse? Caused by interference from laptop dc-board's coils, which also make a little bit hi-pitch noise?

You might as well determine and backup the Yamaha driver in case you need to reformat the hard drive.

Not sure about the interference problems.

Reply 9 of 9, by JackH

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Indeed, if I find some driver installation files on hdd. At least I know version numbers from device manager: sound, video & gamecontrollers:

Yamaha ds-xg pci audio codec 4.06.2006

Yamaha ds-xg legacy sound system 4.00.1028

Which someone have already installed in the past.

I got rid of that hi-pitch sound when moving mouse by using ps/2 mouse, instead using touchpad.