VOGONS

First post, by Braca862

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello. One of my computers I have at home is a 2001 Dell Optiplex GX110 running Windows 95. Here are the specs:

Microsoft Windows 95 (4.0, Build 1212) C
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corporation
System Model: OptiPlex GX110
BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A06
Processor: Intel Pentium III, ~864MHz
Memory: 510MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 8.0 (4.08.00.0400)

The sound card is a Creative Sound Blaster AudioPCI 64V

The sound and music works flawlessly on late 90's and early 2000's CD-ROM games. However, DOS and Windows 3.1 games are a different story. I have attached to this post examples of a couple of DOS and 3.1 game music that sound either weird or just plain awful. The description of these mp3 files are explained in the file comments. Could it be that the games don't work correctly with modern sound cards? Do I have to adjust certain sound settings in Windows? Do I have to edit autoexec.bat and config.sys? If not, are there any pci sound cards you can recommend and can work on the GX110? Cause the last thing I want to do is to buy a sound card, only to find out it doesn't work with my computer.

Also, I have an issue with the DOS game The Last Half of Darkness. If I select the mouse option, there is no pointer and the mouse does not function. As a result, I have to resort to the keyboard option, which requires me to use the number keypads. Other DOS games I have that uses the mouse, have no problems. So what is wrong here? In addition, the game runs too fast.

Attachments

• Filename
    Treasure Mathstorm.mp3
    File size
    1.09 MiB
    Downloads
    73 downloads
    File comment
    This is perhaps the worst of the five here. It's just so horrendous.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    Dark Seed 2 Carnival Music.mp3
    File size
    1.28 MiB
    Downloads
    45 downloads
    File comment
    Technically not a DOS game, but a Windows 3.1 game. It is not as bad as I would imagine, but the music that plays when Mike Dawson is at the carnival, it sounds a bit off. You can hear the whistles, which just makes the music sound so weird. I also have the Macintosh version of the game and it sounds very different from the windows version.
    File license
  • Filename
    Keen 5.mp3
    File size
    383.25 KiB
    Downloads
    51 downloads
    File comment
    A bit short, but sound and music is awkward
    File license
  • Filename
    Monster Bash Intro and Menu.mp3
    File size
    843.94 KiB
    Downloads
    49 downloads
    File comment
    The intro music that has the Apogee logo sounds a bit off, but the menu music sounds like as if it was played by home-made instruments. Here is a youtube video showing a big difference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLPvkAjqdL8
    File license
  • Filename
    Wolfenstein 3D Menu, Level 1, and sound effects.mp3
    File size
    1.49 MiB
    Downloads
    65 downloads
    File comment
    The music and sound is awful here in Wolfenstein. I also notice in the game, when I touch a wall, the music slows down. Does the knife usually makes noise?
    File license

Reply 1 of 33, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Your sound problems are due to the sound card not having an OPL3 (Adlib) chip, instead attempting to map OPL3 commands to the built-in MIDI or something.

The solution is to get a different sound card, maybe SB Live or Yamaha YMF PCI style, or Aureal Vortex or something else that's compatible with both Windows 98 and DOS.

Edit: Oh, I just noticed your computer has one ISA slot. A much better solution would be to get an ISA sound card, like an SB16, AWE32, or AWE64, and use that. It would be pretty much guaranteed to work perfectly in most cases.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 3 of 33, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, in fact, the AWE64 Gold will sound better than a lot of PCI cards. Plus you'll get full DOS compatibility, especially inside of Windows 9x, where you'll have sound effects, OPL3, MIDI sound, etc.

The only drawback is that it doesn't have a real OPL3 chip, just Creative's "CQM" clone chip which performs the same function but doesn't sound the same. So that would only be a factor if you care about that sort of thing (I do, but a lot of people don't).

Edit: I would really recommend running Windows 98SE on this thing. 95 is much better suited for 486 and early Pentium machines, and every later machine that I've had 95 on (trying to do it out of principle, usually) I always end up switching to Windows 98. It's just so much more convenient, runs more software, is more stable, etc.

I always stick a USB card in my 98 computers and install NUSB, which gives me full USB flash drive functionality. It's really useful for copying files 😀

Reply 4 of 33, by Braca862

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am currently watching youtube videos on how certain DOS games sound like with the AWE64 (doom, duke nukem, descent, etc) and I am blown away from how high quality the music sounds. I am definitely getting this card. What is NUSB and where can I find it. Also, I would like to upgrade to 98, but I am a bit concern there might be some issues. And from what I know, I don't think my machine supports dual booting. BTW, how did you know the GX110 has an ISA slot?

Reply 5 of 33, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Braca862 wrote:

Will the Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold work?

The AWE64 Gold would be considerably more expensive for little tangible benefit. If you already have one on hand, then go ahead; otherwise, you might as well go for a cheaper model of AWE64 or AWE32.

Braca862 wrote:

What is NUSB and where can I find it.

I was going to tell you to Google, but I guess there are a few other things called NUSB these days. So here:
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/43605-maximus … ve-usb-drivers/

Also, I would like to upgrade to 98, but I am a bit concern there might be some issues.

You'll have to be a lot more specific than that.

And from what I know, I don't think my machine supports dual booting.

Dual-booting is strictly a software thing. Just about every machine supports it. It's not really relevant to the matter, though.

BTW, how did you know the GX110 has an ISA slot?

Okay, now I'm linking to https://www.google.ca/search?q=gx110+motherboard .

Reply 7 of 33, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For video - well, I would probably go for a 3DFX Voodoo 3 PCI, but that's just me. Others will tell you to go with nVidia or ATI or something. I can't speak on nVidia since I haven't had one, but I can say stay away from ATI because ATI cards mess up the scrolling on EGA games (such as Commander Keen) big time. Doesn't matter what ATI card from what era, they always do it.

Edit: Why do you want to dual boot? You can always simply follow the standard "backup, wipe, reinstall with new OS" procedure.

Another edit: They make a big deal on the NUSB post about "UNINSTALL YOUR CURRENT USB DRIVERS OR YOU WILL FAIL!!!!" and stuff like that, but really, on a fresh, clean Windows 98 install you just have to run nusb33.exe, restart, and voila, you have USB support. It's running it on systems that have already looked for USB drivers or something that messes things up, I think.

Reply 8 of 33, by Braca862

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know there are several different versions of the voodoo 3. I saw on ebay, a brand new voodoo 3 3500. Will that do?

Also, you mean its better to back up my files and do a fresh Windows 98 SE install instead of upgrading from 95?

Reply 10 of 33, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Braca862 wrote:

Also, you mean its better to back up my files and do a fresh Windows 98 SE install instead of upgrading from 95?

It's almost never a good idea to do an upgrade when you can do a fresh install. It depends on how inconvenient it would be to reinstall everything.

I saw on ebay, a brand new voodoo 3 3500. Will that do?

You said you wanted "the best graphics card". Whether or not a Voodoo 3 3500 will do depends on exactly what you plan to do with it.

Reply 11 of 33, by Braca862

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The AWE64 card came today. Although you mentioned that the GX110 has a ISA slot, I took a picture, and I do not see anything that looks like an ISA slot. I can assume I need a riser card containing a ISA slot?

29353602032_74ded3a005_k.jpg20160904_202053 by Pedro Bracamonte, on Flickr

Reply 14 of 33, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Specifically, you want the mid size PCI/ISA riser board, see Figure 20 in the Service Manual. It provides two PCI, two ISA, and one shared slot.

Looks like you can get one on ePay.

I also found a larger version with 4/3/1 arrangement. It appears you may have room in your case for it, but it is not referenced in the Service Manual.

Also, this thread feels very Marviny to me. 😀

Last edited by gdjacobs on 2016-09-05, 20:56. Edited 1 time in total.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 17 of 33, by Braca862

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unfortunately, I just realized that the GX110 does not have an AGP slot. The current video card it uses is the Intel 810 chipset, which does not support AGP expansion slots. However, on page 76 in the manual, it saids that the system has an Integrated Intel Direct AGP Graphics Accelerator with Dynamic Video Memory (DVM) technology architecture. On page 128, the graphics accelerator is an Intel Direct Accelerated Graphics Port (AGP) 2D and 3D graphics accelerator. What does that mean?

Reply 18 of 33, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Braca862 wrote:

Unfortunately, I just realized that the GX110 does not have an AGP slot.

Yes, that would be why Mr. Keenmaster486 suggested the Voodoo 3 PCI.

However, on page 76 in the manual, it saids that the system has an Integrated Intel Direct AGP Graphics Accelerator with Dynamic Video Memory (DVM) technology architecture. On page 128, the graphics accelerator is an Intel Direct Accelerated Graphics Port (AGP) 2D and 3D graphics accelerator. What does that mean?

Basically, it means that there is an AGP card built into the motherboard. This is not especially meaningful as to my knowledge there is nothing that ever explicitly required an AGP card over a PCI card, and even if there was, Intel graphics are known for being pretty terrible. There is probably no chance of ever using an AGP card with your system.

Reply 19 of 33, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Braca862 wrote:

What does that mean?

No AGP, no ISA and no DDMA (that limits your choice of sound cards for DOS) capabilities.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel