VOGONS

Reply 20 of 33, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Braca862 wrote:

Thanks for the information. I just bought the AWE64 gold. A bit off-topic, but for curiosity, what is the best graphics card for the GX110?

I own a GX110, the small desktop model with only 3 PCI slots on a riser.

A fast video card is the 128-bit version of the Geforce FX 5500. The 64-bit version is more common, so you have to be sure to avoid it.

Another option is the ATI Radeon 9250.

I own both and prefer the Geforce.

As for sound, you should get a Vortex 2 based card. I recommend the Turtle Beach Montego II. It has decent SB Pro emulation and decent General MIDI for DOS games (you can even boot to DOS and use it as an SB Pro clone). Has a wavetable daughterboard header if you go that route.

Reply 21 of 33, by Braca862

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
boxpressed wrote:
I own a GX110, the small desktop model with only 3 PCI slots on a riser. […]
Show full quote
Braca862 wrote:

Thanks for the information. I just bought the AWE64 gold. A bit off-topic, but for curiosity, what is the best graphics card for the GX110?

I own a GX110, the small desktop model with only 3 PCI slots on a riser.

A fast video card is the 128-bit version of the Geforce FX 5500. The 64-bit version is more common, so you have to be sure to avoid it.

Another option is the ATI Radeon 9250.

I own both and prefer the Geforce.

As for sound, you should get a Vortex 2 based card. I recommend the Turtle Beach Montego II. It has decent SB Pro emulation and decent General MIDI for DOS games (you can even boot to DOS and use it as an SB Pro clone). Has a wavetable daughterboard header if you go that route.

For the video card, something like this right?

https://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber … N82E16814143032

Reply 22 of 33, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kamerat wrote:
Braca862 wrote:

What does that mean?

No AGP, no ISA and no DDMA (that limits your choice of sound cards for DOS) capabilities.

The Dell PCI/ISA riser is available, as noted previously.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 23 of 33, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

The Dell PCI/ISA riser is available, as noted previously.

Sorry, didn't notice.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 24 of 33, by Braca862

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Looks like there is currently no listing for a Voodoo3 PCI on ebay. Looks I may have to go with a Voodoo2 PCI. Can someone fill me up with what is the function of a SLI? I read it increases the maximum resolution up to 1024x786.

Reply 25 of 33, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kamerat wrote:

No AGP, no ISA and no DDMA (that limits your choice of sound cards for DOS) capabilities.

The availability of ISA and DDMA has absolutely nothing to do with whether there is an integrated AGP device present.

Braca862 wrote:

Looks like there is currently no listing for a Voodoo3 PCI on ebay. Looks I may have to go with a Voodoo2 PCI.

Unlike a Voodoo3, a Voodoo2 is strictly 3D-only and may not be adequate for your needs.

Can someone fill me up with what is the function of a SLI? I read it increases the maximum resolution up to 1024x786.

Do you ever try Googling these things before you ask about them, sir?

SLI allows two Voodoo2 cards to be used simultaneously and thus provides functionality that cannot be achieved using a single Voodoo2.

Reply 26 of 33, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:
Kamerat wrote:

The availability of ISA and DDMA has absolutely nothing to do with whether there is an integrated AGP device present.

Maybe it came out a bit wrong, but I meant that Intel 810 chipset have no option for AGP port. The graphic accelerator resides in the 810 north bridge.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 29 of 33, by Braca862

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for all the information. I already have the AWE64 sound card, just waiting for the PCI/ISA riser to arrive.

As for the graphics card, looks like I'm going to have to wait until a Voodoo3 2000 or 3000 PCI card is listed on ebay or amazon.

Reply 30 of 33, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

To be clear, if you only want to run things like Mathstorm, Dark Seed 2, Keen 5, Monster Bash, and Wolfenstein, then in that case Intel Graphics will be exactly as good as a Voodoo3.

Reply 31 of 33, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Braca862 wrote:

For the video card, something like this right?

https://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber … N82E16814143032

Yes, that's the one. If you decide to get an FX 5500, try to find one that looks exactly like that one.

I forgot that you are getting a riser with ISA (my model is so small that I cannot find a riser with ISA for it), so you may not need the Vortex 2 if you are going AWE64. The AWE64 is a very good 98SE card too, and it just plain works with the built-in 98SE drivers. Still, if you ever want to have A3D for games like Half-Life, the Vortex 2 is a cheap solution that also gives you the option of adding a wavetable daughterboard (which the AWE64 doesn't have).

Reply 32 of 33, by Braca862

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Today I installed the AWE64 Gold card into my GX110. Good thing it came with the headphone jack to RCA cable. The sound quality is amazing! Even has a small echo effect. I played the games I mentioned in this thread. What a difference! Monster Bash sounds exactly how it should sound like!

Reply 33 of 33, by synrgy87

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Braca862 wrote:

Today I installed the AWE64 Gold card into my GX110. Good thing it came with the headphone jack to RCA cable. The sound quality is amazing! Even has a small echo effect. I played the games I mentioned in this thread. What a difference! Monster Bash sounds exactly how it should sound like!

The AWE64 Gold is excellent, the echo effect is probably reverb, you can adjust this in the creative settings app in the driver folder, the sound from it is really nice, even on cheap nasty speakers.