VOGONS

Where can I find "AMIBCP" (for DOS) ?

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 95, by nzoomed

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2020-08-11, 15:12:

Yes, it's meant to be a protection measure, but I believe AMI made it more complicated in order to stop peopling from fiddling.
Award on the other hand is relatively easy to figure out.
I tried a number of checksum calculators and I wasn't able to get anywhere.

OK,they are pretty cunning at AMI thats for sure.

If anyone has experience in modding these, hit me up with a PM.

Reply 41 of 95, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-08-11, 19:04:
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2020-08-11, 12:03:

I heard the ami checksum calculation is more convoluted than others. I have the source code, but I can’t figure it out.

Which source code? If it is different then the AMIBCP94 code, then I would love to take a look at it.

I can't remember. It may have been for the AMI Color BIOS. I found it on the internets while reading about how to defeat their checksum. I'll dig around to see if I can find it again.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 42 of 95, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kingcake wrote on 2020-08-11, 18:32:

Wait. They found topcat mr bios?

Yes, but it's not very useful if you were hoping to use it on your AMI Baby Screamer. Those boards use a modified version of Topcat that integrates a proprietary cache controller. The MR BIOS files found only supports Topcat with cache if your setup uses an i385.

Reply 43 of 95, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
nzoomed wrote on 2020-08-11, 03:09:
I'll report back anyway. […]
Show full quote
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2020-08-11, 02:27:

Correct. DOS version numbers do not correlate with Windows version numbers.
I highly doubt v7.5 for DOS will read v1.x and v2.x ROMs. I am pretty sure that either Feipoa or myself tried at some point.

I'll report back anyway.

What versions does you or feipoa have?
I'm going through a bunch of broken links and trying to see if i can get them through archive.org.

For example there is one dated 1994 here:

http://www.weste.net/2005/2-22/10582452137.html

That is the same "mybpc" I posted up above.

Nobody has been able to locate the early versions that were originally asked about.

On another note, I was able to find a working torrent for bntbtc - 6.1.20080913 - person that took over bnobtc package that the original person abandoned and then went crazy because somebody else took over.... to be fair, the person who took over used too similar a nickname for it to be easily known that it was a different person.

It only took all night to download because it was going super slow.

Still waiting on the zip password cracker to find the password for that other .zip file
If anybody has the passwords for the devdownload.com zip files that would be great.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 44 of 95, by nzoomed

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2020-08-11, 23:57:
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-08-11, 19:04:
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2020-08-11, 12:03:

I heard the ami checksum calculation is more convoluted than others. I have the source code, but I can’t figure it out.

Which source code? If it is different then the AMIBCP94 code, then I would love to take a look at it.

I can't remember. It may have been for the AMI Color BIOS. I found it on the internets while reading about how to defeat their checksum. I'll dig around to see if I can find it again.

If there is any source code out there it may be possible to at least reverse engineer these AMI Color BIOS' for machines of that period.
Would be cool if it was possible to write an open source drop in replacement for these machines that had the same look and feel as an original Color BIOS.
We could call it IM A BIOS 🤣.
Is there any developers here who know whats involved in writing a BIOS?
It obviously can be done, as there is an open source BIOS for modern machines which involves UEFI, and far more complex features than what was found in a 386 or 486 system.

Reply 45 of 95, by nzoomed

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-08-12, 00:26:
That is the same "mybpc" I posted up above. […]
Show full quote
nzoomed wrote on 2020-08-11, 03:09:
I'll report back anyway. […]
Show full quote
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2020-08-11, 02:27:

Correct. DOS version numbers do not correlate with Windows version numbers.
I highly doubt v7.5 for DOS will read v1.x and v2.x ROMs. I am pretty sure that either Feipoa or myself tried at some point.

I'll report back anyway.

What versions does you or feipoa have?
I'm going through a bunch of broken links and trying to see if i can get them through archive.org.

For example there is one dated 1994 here:

http://www.weste.net/2005/2-22/10582452137.html

That is the same "mybpc" I posted up above.

Nobody has been able to locate the early versions that were originally asked about.

On another note, I was able to find a working torrent for bntbtc - 6.1.20080913 - person that took over bnobtc package that the original person abandoned and then went crazy because somebody else took over.... to be fair, the person who took over used too similar a nickname for it to be easily known that it was a different person.

It only took all night to download because it was going super slow.

Still waiting on the zip password cracker to find the password for that other .zip file
If anybody has the passwords for the devdownload.com zip files that would be great.

Oh, OK.
Hopefully you can crack that ZIP file, perhaps a few of us here can donate their GPU power to help crack it?
Ive sent you a PM BTW, I hope you may be able to help out 😀

Reply 46 of 95, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I found a zip password cracker that can use nVidia CUDA to accelerate the password cracking.
Currently running on a XEON 1680 v2 @ 4.5Ghz with an EVGA RTX 2080 XC ULTRA @ 2025/7000.
Getting around 1.65B password checks per second. Even with these numbers, I kinda doubt that the password will ever be found as it is probably some crazy long password that these sites seem to like to use.

If I knew it didn't use any special characters it would be much faster. I am only working on 7 character long passwords right now.
CPU usage is bouncing between 62 and 73%. GPU usage is at 100%.

I have no idea what is supposed to be in this zip file though I did put it in my amibcp folder... so maybe it does have the older versions..... grrrr.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 47 of 95, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-08-12, 01:39:
I found a zip password cracker that can use nVidia CUDA to accelerate the password cracking. Currently running on a XEON 1680 v2 […]
Show full quote

I found a zip password cracker that can use nVidia CUDA to accelerate the password cracking.
Currently running on a XEON 1680 v2 @ 4.5Ghz with an EVGA RTX 2080 XC ULTRA @ 2025/7000.
Getting around 1.65B password checks per second. Even with these numbers, I kinda doubt that the password will ever be found as it is probably some crazy long password that these sites seem to like to use.

If I knew it didn't use any special characters it would be much faster. I am only working on 7 character long passwords right now.

I have no idea what is supposed to be in this zip file though I did put it in my amibcp folder... so maybe it does have the older versions..... grrrr.

You might even be able to go faster by throwing money at the problem and using some sort of cloud-based password cracking website. I find it unlikely any solution those sites would have would use hardware as powerful as yours, but you never know.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 49 of 95, by nzoomed

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stiletto wrote on 2020-08-12, 03:01:
I found a zip password cracker that can use nVidia CUDA to accelerate the password cracking. Currently running on a XEON 1680 v2 […]
Show full quote

You might even be able to go faster by throwing money at the problem and using some sort of cloud-based password cracking website. I find it unlikely any solution those sites would have would use hardware as powerful as yours, but you never know.

I agree, you can probably use a cloud VPS service for cryptocurrency mining etc, if it lets you have access to the operating system and do whatever you want.

Reply 50 of 95, by nzoomed

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Show full quote

Quite often the passwords are simply the url the file was downloaded from if you have any idea what it was downloaded from.
I suggest you google the filename of the zip archive and see what URLs it was linked to, and try all of them you can find.

Reply 51 of 95, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Name of the zip file is:
f2b3cdd4-6e9c-435e-8768-f30272b5ad2e.zip

There is a text file inside named:
extracting passwords_devdownload.com;premuim passwords_visible after login

Doing a search for that brings up a few pages of people asking about the password but nothing works.

Who knows if this is even anything real inside... the main file inside is the same name except with a .tar.gz extension that is around 20MB...

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 52 of 95, by nzoomed

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-08-12, 04:21:
Name of the zip file is: f2b3cdd4-6e9c-435e-8768-f30272b5ad2e.zip […]
Show full quote

Name of the zip file is:

Doing a search for that brings up a few pages of people asking about the password but nothing works.

Who knows if this is even anything real inside... the main file inside is the same name except with a .tar.gz extension that is around 20MB...

Who knows, but it may be worth using a GPU VPS. I see google offers it, but there may be other VPS services who offer similar services.
Probably only need half a dozen high end GPUs to crack it in a month.
Pricing here, most GPU's are only a few cents each, Im not sure if thats the monthly cost or not.
https://cloud.google.com/compute/gpus-pricing

Reply 53 of 95, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
nzoomed wrote on 2020-08-12, 04:54:
Who knows, but it may be worth using a GPU VPS. I see google offers it, but there may be other VPS services who offer similar se […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Name of the zip file is:

Who knows, but it may be worth using a GPU VPS. I see google offers it, but there may be other VPS services who offer similar services.
Pricing here, most GPU's are only a few cents each, Im not sure if thats the monthly cost or not.

Did a price estimate:
Total Estimated Cost: USD 2,765.24 per 1 month

With a custom config, I could get it down to around $2500 a month.

That is with only 8x Tesla K80 cards, which is the max they allow per node. Pretty sure the 32 vCPUs would not be anywhere enough to handle the load of the ZIP password program though as I am only running a single card and the usage of a 16 threaded overclocked CPU goes up to 73%. And to top it off, unless Google has the top of the line AMD EPYC CPUs, there is no way the per-core processing power would match my CPU running all cores at 4.5Ghz.

For the length that the password likely is, it would still take years to crack the password.

If somebody wants to try something like this.. be my guest.

Last edited by cyclone3d on 2020-08-12, 05:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 54 of 95, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-08-12, 05:21:
nzoomed wrote on 2020-08-12, 04:54:
Who knows, but it may be worth using a GPU VPS. I see google offers it, but there may be other VPS services who offer similar se […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Name of the zip file is:

Did a price estimate:
Total Estimated Cost: USD 2,765.24 per 1 month

Zip passwords are easy to crack with pkcrack if 1. the file uses the old zip encryption method and 2. you have one of the files in unencrypted form. So if there's a file inside that you know the contents of, that might work.

I've used it successfully where I knew one of the files inside was the license file for an open-source library.

Reply 55 of 95, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah.. that doesn't help as there is only one real file inside which is a g-zipped .tar file.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 56 of 95, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The source code I have appears to be much later than I remembered. I saw a reference to the SiS530 chipset. It could still be useful though. Perhaps they didn't change the checksum routine.

Reply 57 of 95, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got from a source Amibcp 6.24 - word is it can open 1994/5/6+ 486 and p1 bios files
maybe someone will find it useful 😀

Attachments

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 58 of 95, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote on 2020-08-18, 15:00:

Got from a source Amibcp 6.24 - word is it can open 1994/5/6+ 486 and p1 bios files
maybe someone will find it useful 😀

Hi keropi

Have you been able to open any BIOS files with that tool? I've tried a couple of 486 AMIBIOS ROMs from 1994/95 and I get "ROM Header not found !".

Reply 59 of 95, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ nope I have not tried it at all
so I guess the info was not correct then... the search continues!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website