VOGONS

First post, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got some original SB16 installation media (floppies and CD-ROMs) whose date stamps are from different eras.

One set of floppies came with a CT1730 (in a SB16 "Basic Edition" box) whose files have date stamps from 1993.

I have a random SB16 CD-ROM not matched to any card in particular whose files have date stamps from 1995.

Given that later SB16s use the Vibra processor, is there any appreciable difference between the install disk variants? One difference is MIXERSET vs. SB16SET.

I'm guessing that newer SB16s may have problems with the older install programs, but I don't know if the reverse is true.

Reply 1 of 14, by 33mhz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can't really provide any technical detail, but I've had some success running my older (late 1992 - early 1993ish) SB16 with much later SB Vibra drivers. I initially did this by accident after I swapped my Vibra 16 out for the older card and forgot to change the drivers. But everything kept working properly and I still haven't bothered to switch the drivers back. So at least in my congfig and with my games, newer drivers with older cards isn't a problem.

Reply 2 of 14, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Interesting topic. Does anyone know of the original SB16 drivers for Windows from '92 ?
I'm looking for them. I hope that they also included normal *.DRV files and didn't depend on VXDs so much..
If so, they *may* also work in Win 3.1 Standard Mode or WIN-OS/2.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 14, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
33mhz wrote:

I can't really provide any technical detail, but I've had some success running my older (late 1992 - early 1993ish) SB16 with much later SB Vibra drivers. I initially did this by accident after I swapped my Vibra 16 out for the older card and forgot to change the drivers. But everything kept working properly and I still haven't bothered to switch the drivers back. So at least in my congfig and with my games, newer drivers with older cards isn't a problem.

Thanks for the information. I suspected that later drivers would work with older cards. I generally like to use the driver set that is packaged with the card, but they are hard to identify unless you buy the card and disks as a set. Just a period-correct thing, although I assume that Creative released driver updates online.

Reply 4 of 14, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote:

Interesting topic. Does anyone know of the original SB16 drivers for Windows from '92 ?
I'm looking for them. I hope that they also included normal *.DRV files and didn't depend on VXDs so much..
If so, they *may* also work in Win 3.1 Standard Mode or WIN-OS/2.

I'd like to see those too. When I get a chance, I will add photos of the cards + disks for the CIB CT1730 I own.

The CD-ROM I have comes from a kit that included a SB16 (model unknown) and a quad-speed CD-ROM drive (I have the documentation and software but no hardware).

Reply 5 of 14, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Would this work for you?
http://files.mpoli.fi/unpacked/hardware/sound … abs/sb16wu.zip/

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 6 of 14, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If I recall, Creative's OS/2 driver bundle include the necessary Win-OS/2 drivers as well. They were pretty good with OS/2 support back in the ISA days. The only silly problem I had with them is the provided AWE Utility for OS/2 didn't support SoundFont 2 (*.sf2) format banks for some reason. It only supported the rarer *.sbk files.

Reply 7 of 14, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

Thank you. If the file was intended for me, I should clarify that I'm not searching for a SB16 driver but just wondering what happens when newer drivers are used with older cards and vice versa.

Also thought this might be a good thread for photos of the media accompanying specific SB16 models.

Reply 8 of 14, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
NJRoadfan wrote:

If I recall, Creative's OS/2 driver bundle include the necessary Win-OS/2 drivers as well. They were pretty good with OS/2 support back in the ISA days. The only silly problem I had with them is the provided AWE Utility for OS/2 didn't support SoundFont 2 (*.sf2) format banks for some reason. It only supported the rarer *.sbk files.

Thank you. I know that IBM itself included SB16 drivers for WIN-OS/2 on Warp 4, but for some reason they didn't work (as described here).
Are Creative's WIN-OS/2 drivers known to be more compatible ? Just asking. WIN-OS/2 isn't the best when it comes to VXDs (*.386) stuff.
As far as I can remember, back then IBM had a lot of stress to get WIn32s working because of these VXDs.
I think a version of 1.25a was also patched for WIN-OS/2 and worked fine, but later versions were a bit too tricky for WIN-OS/2 (see OS/2 Tips & Tricks).
Besides, it would be cool to get a SB16 fully working on a 286, as well.
At the moment, SB16 works fine with all DOS software, but in Windows 3.1 I'm limited to SB 1.5/2.0 drivers which sadly can't do stereo. 🙁
That's why I hope that the original drivers weren't so focused on VXDs (in '92 286's were still common).

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 10 of 14, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
boxpressed wrote:

I should clarify that I'm not searching for a SB16 driver but just wondering what happens when newer drivers are used with older cards and vice versa.

Also thought this might be a good thread for photos of the media accompanying specific SB16 models.

I see, sorry for my earlier post then. I didn't mean to hi-jack your thread for a driver discussing..
Btw, the photo thing is interestingl! I'm using CT17xx models, though, so I do have only a few drivers disks and can't serve with funny compatibility issues.
Any PnP users, here ? 😉

gdjacobs wrote:

Meant for Jo22.

Thank's a lot! Haven't seen that one before, but I'll try it soon.

//My video channel//

Reply 11 of 14, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote:

I see, sorry for my earlier post then. I didn't mean to hi-jack your thread for a driver discussing..
Btw, the photo thing is interestingl! I'm using CT17xx models, though, so I do have only a few drivers disks and can't serve with funny compatibility issues.
Any PnP users, here ? 😉

Oh, no worries at all. Feel free to discuss drivers. I just didn't want people to think that I myself was looking for drivers.

Reply 12 of 14, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This reminds me of an issue I went through back in January. I have a SB16 Vibra CT2800. I downloaded the Vibra drivers from Vogons driver archive and could not get the MPU-401 interface to detect. Long story short, after much troubleshooting and even getting the video card seller to refund me, I tried the SB16 (non-Vibra) drivers from Creative's site and the problem went away. I re-paid the seller. 😀 Here's the thread:
Which Sound Blaster drivers can I comment out?

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 13 of 14, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:

This reminds me of an issue I went through back in January. I have a SB16 Vibra CT2800. I downloaded the Vibra drivers from Vogons driver archive and could not get the MPU-401 interface to detect. Long story short, after much troubleshooting and even getting the video card seller to refund me, I tried the SB16 (non-Vibra) drivers from Creative's site and the problem went away. I re-paid the seller. 😀 Here's the thread:
Which Sound Blaster drivers can I comment out?

Yes, Vogonsdrivers is a tremendous resource, but I'd love to have an additional resource that matches photos (and dumps) of the exact media that originally accompanied a specific card. Seems like we could make it happen given how many of us have a CIB example of a particular model.

Reply 14 of 14, by orinoko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not entirely related, but one of my machines has an AWE32 installed in it, and yet the setup I used created a SB16 directory on the HDD. Works fine, has the AWEUTIL.EXE in it, DIAGNOSE detects that it is an AWE32 and has the AWE32 demo on it to... I just find it odd that it installed it all in a SB16 folder!