VOGONS

First post, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I recently came across an HP Vectra from 1998. It has a PII-400 and a single 128MB stick. Graphics is integrated Matrox G100 with 4MB. I just did a fresh install of Win98SE and tested with Half-Life and the rendering is horrible on this thing. 😉 It looked and played better with software rendering. Actually, on a side note, I was impressed with how good HL looked in software mode! Reminded me a bit of Duke Nukem 3D, with a bit more detail.

I'd like to keep it as a 1998 era build and need to replace the graphics. Only PCI slots on this system, and I don't have a lot of PCI cards to choose from:
Rage 128 GL 16MB
TNT2 M64 32MB
TNT2 M64 16MB
V3 2000 16MB

The Voodoo seems the obvious choice, but I'd like your opinions.

The soundcard on this thing is one of those angled Aztech ISA cards. Seems like a good fit and sounds fine.

Thanks for reading.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 1 of 16, by synrgy87

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

on my Celeron 900mhz machine (emachines e320) I went with an ATI Radeon 9000 PCI 64mb card as I had one from back in the day, and the machine has no AGP slot, it's newer than what you're currently looking at but works great, HL looks fantastic especially if you can use the OpenGL mode with the high def effects pack(cant remember exactly what it's called).

My pentium 2 rig has AGP slot so I'm using a Rage 128 pro ultra 32mb card. Never tried the RAGE 128 PCI cards so don't know if there's much difference

Personally I'd go with something that supports hardware TnL, you can always pair whatever card you pick with a voodoo PCI card for 3dfx games
S3 cards are an option if you want MSDOS compatibility.

Reply 2 of 16, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well the V is easily the fastest card out of that lot. Shame you got no regular tnt2...

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 3 of 16, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think the TNT2 was a 1998 card, I think it didn't come out until 1999 but please correct me if I'm wrong since I also built a Win 9x rig with a 1998 cut off date. I ended up going with 2x voodoo 2 in SLI and a Matrox G200. I figured the V2's would be doing most of the gaming work but the G200 would handle 2d stuff and its superior image quality would help offset the hit to image from using a v2 passthrough cable. I have heavily considered switching over to a TNT though since it's more gamer oriented then the G200 and still has decent quality....if the TNT2 was out in 98 though......

I also have odd graphical issues with the g200 now and then, desktop icons being corrupted sometimes after a running for awhile. I think its a driver issue. this has happened with 2 G200s I've used so I don't think it's bad video ram. I'm also using the later cooler running g200 revision with a heatsink I slapped on it so I cant blame overheating either.

Reply 4 of 16, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Well the V is easily the fastest card out of that lot. Shame you got no regular tnt2...

Yeah. I have a regular TNT, but it's AGP...

I think the V3 should be more than capable, though.

soviet conscript: you're right about the TNT2. But technically, the Voodoo3 is also from 1999. I'm okay with that though. It was pretty typical back in the day to have a machine from a certain year, then upgrade the graphics card the next year. So I'm fine if the graphics card is from 1999.

edit: and the fact I'm running 98SE (which was released in 1999)...🤣

Reply 5 of 16, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If that Matrox G100 chip is integrated into the motherboard, why don't you just get a Voodoo2 card and be done? You don't need a completely new card for 2D performance, since the G100 chip will do that just fine. Get a Voodoo2 12MB card and a VGA pass-through cable. The Voodoo will run Half-Life pretty sweet, especially being pushed by the 400MHz Pentium II. It runs pretty sweet on my 350MHz Pentium II.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 6 of 16, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A Voodoo2 is more 98'ish than Voodoo3.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 7 of 16, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Back in the day, 1998 for me was the year of the ATI Rage Pro, and wishing I had money for a Voodoo2. I couldn't afford a TNT2 until 2000.

If you want to be period-accurate, stick a V2 in there together with the integrated G100.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 8 of 16, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, the V2 would be ideal. I'm trying to use what I got, though. V2s are going for $30-$60, and I've already got a V3 I'm not using. But I've now got a V2 on my wishlist. 😉

Reply 9 of 16, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You could stick in a PCX2 as well, as that was also a sucker......budget option in the day. Voodoo Graphics also had huge pricedrops and clearances in that year so that's also period appropriate

But that PCX2 and a Voodoo2 on top of a G100 would be grand as you'd keep G100's sharper VGA signal

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 11 of 16, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe... but these days it looks like you can have 4 or 5 voodoo2s for the price of one of them, judging by current prices on ebay.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 13 of 16, by Tommaso72

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is a Cyrix 166mx with a PR rating of 133 enough power to push a PCX2, I have it in my Aptiva along with the on board video (Rage II+ DVD) and am searching for a copy of Mechwarrior 2 to see how well it renders. Just curious if I am going to be happy or disappointed.

Tommaso

Reply 14 of 16, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No. PCX2 = Pentium territory. K5, and 6x86 are off limits and will perform badly with the card, and it's more due to FPU-heavy drivers than the hardware itself.

A Voodoo will be fine.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 15 of 16, by ajdrenter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been using a Banshee on my P2B and I really like the way it looks and feels. There are better cards but it is simple and cheap for a voodoo. Obviously not going to stand up to a V3 but for 98 it is a great choice. I personally would use the V3 until you can pick something else up.

Reply 16 of 16, by Tommaso

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

No. PCX2 = Pentium territory. K5, and 6x86 are off limits and will perform badly with the card, and it's more due to FPU-heavy drivers than the hardware itself.

A Voodoo will be fine.

just a quick question, what is the reason a voodoo will be fine and not a pcx2? just curious, and what would be the optimum pentium to use with it, thanks!

Tommaso