VOGONS

First post, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I been thinking of putting together or buying a small form factor late 486 or early pent1 desktop system.

Dose anyone know of any OEM 486/pent1 systems that used a smaller/thinner Desktop cases? or any cases for that matter (not a tower)
My problem is that I don't want 2 full size systems and if I do buy or put together a late 486 or pent1 system I'd want it to be as small as passable otherwise I would just setup a VM or Dos box on my 604 setup.

Any ideas?
Thanks.

Reply 1 of 16, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is the unisys computer, but you can forgive about having a CD drive in this (you have built-in ethernet though wich is nice). And there is only one expansion slot wich will probably be taken by the sound card. And that sound card musn't be too long

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2 of 16, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There are a couple of brands that come to mind: NCR System 3230, and the HP Vectra VL, VL2 (486 and Pentium flavors), and N series. I personally own a HP Vectra VL2 4/50se, and it's a very nice compact computer with 4 ISA expansion slots.

NCR System 3230
ncr-3230-486dx33-desktop-computer-1.18.jpg

HP Vectra VL2
48e17710675b2

HP Vectra 486N
Vectra-486N-38.jpg

Reply 3 of 16, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh I have an HP vectra 486 / VL 33

Seems to be quite an unusual machine in comparison to other VL (even though it hasn't anything special)

The only problem that I had is that I never managed to find the 5'1/4 brackets so when I used a CD drive it was just hanging in the hole ... Could be nice to know what it needs

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 4 of 16, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Deksor wrote:

Oh I have an HP vectra 486 / VL 33

Seems to be quite an unusual machine in comparison to other VL (even though it hasn't anything special)

The only problem that I had is that I never managed to find the 5'1/4 brackets so when I used a CD drive it was just hanging in the hole ... Could be nice to know what it needs

It's part # D2880A - It's a 5.25" rail kit (5 pairs). I just found a box on Ebay and bought it. Do you live in the States? I could possibly send you a pair once I get the box.

Reply 5 of 16, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not at all, I live in france (I think that I've read somewhere, on the rare pages mentioning this computer that it was made specifically for france and so that's why that model is rare)

But I once bought a floppy drive coming from some computer from HP wich came with it's own brackets wich are the same as the one on my HP vectra, so I've got now 2 pairs. Are they the same thing ?

Reply 6 of 16, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Deksor wrote:

Not at all, I live in france (I think that I've read somewhere, on the rare pages mentioning this computer that it was made specifically for france and so that's why that model is rare)

But I once bought a floppy drive coming from some computer from HP wich came with it's own brackets wich are the same as the one on my HP vectra, so I've got now 2 pairs. Are they the same thing ?

I am not sure. This is what the seller's photo shows:

Attachments

• 7801c.jpg
    Filename
    7801c.jpg
    File size
    33.4 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 16, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Okay it's not ...

Anyways let's focus on the author's question ^^

Reply 10 of 16, by s0ren

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Siemens-Nixdorf PCD-4ND (its a laptop and has VGA out) or PCD-4L desktop

Else you could always convert an old thin client if you need something really small, but then its not an actual 486 or Pentium

Reply 11 of 16, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There are a couple Unisys systems in numerous quantities available.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unisys-Cwd4002-mini-D … xxA_33gFPWOkr7g
!BiCGgiQ!mk~$%28KGrHqMH-DcEsNkvQYUhBLMVyZgYkw~~_12.JPG?set_id=8800005007

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unisys-Cwd5001-ZA-min … UxCMraz0jqhH4hA
!BiCLJmQBGk~$%28KGrHqYOKjoEsmq8HEwCBLMWQc7lrw~~_12.JPG?set_id=8800005007

Reply 12 of 16, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Thanks guys. Those Unisys system are pretty close to the size I'm looking for. Having 2 expansion slots would be nice, but the onboard nic will be handy and can be used inplace of a cd drive.

But I don't really dig the look.

Reply 14 of 16, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

Whoa... that belongs in the strange eBay auction thread. Never seen anything like that before; what on earth was that?

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 15 of 16, by bhtooefr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Those were a thing back then, basically laptop components in a desktop keyboard.

Note that that one is a Cx486SLC - not exactly what I'd go for if I were looking for something between 486 and Pentium era.

Reply 16 of 16, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
luckybob wrote:

That's just about perfect if I could use the keyboard withy my 604 setup. it is a little dated for that I'm looking for. I'll have to keep an eye out for systems like that.