VOGONS

First post, by Nipedley

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys

I have two Spea V7 Mirage VLB cards (S3 805 chipset). One of them produces a lovely image, the other produces a slightly yellowish tinged image. The one that produces a lovely image has a terrible habit of crashing whenever the system is taxed, in either Windows 3.11 or Windows 95. The one that produces a yellowish tinge is perfectly stable. I have chips to upgrade one of the cards to 2MB, and the card crashes whether it's running 1MB or 2MB, makes no difference. The yellowish tinged card works just fine with 2MB. Of course, I know that it cannot be a driver conflict/etc. as the other card works perfectly.

I've reflowed the solder on both cards and cleaned both VLB edge connectors with isopropanol. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm thinking the only thing I can try to fix the crashing card is to replace the yellow caps. I've attached images of the card & the screen that the card that crashes produces when it does so. I'm not sure why the other one has a yellowish tinge to the output, it's a slightly newer hardware revision (as printed on the PCB) but all of the components look identical.

Many thanks for any suggestions!

Attachments

Reply 2 of 11, by Nipedley

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah the connector on the card seems to be fine, and I reflowed the pins for it. It looks as though there's a capacitor for each colour on the card, as well as those 3 components marked 'L2 L3 and L4' - I'm not sure what those are? Perhaps one of those is faulty on the yellow tinge card?

I've ordered a full set of replacement tantalum capacitors so I'll do both cards. I really hope it'll fix the crashing one, as beyond that I'm not sure where to go with it

Reply 3 of 11, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The "Lx" traces are Inductors. I'm just a bit curious, in the picture, the left-most piece of additional DRAM, as well as the right-most piece look like they have blemishes on the corners of the sockets--perhaps some of the plastic has broken away? It's hard to tell.

If it were my card, I would make sure all the pins of the main processor are clean at their solder-pads, perhaps with a small metal-bristle brush or by simple running an erasor across them, something to make sure there is no conductive material between the pins.

Reply 4 of 11, by Nipedley

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Do Inductors tend to go bad? I've never come across them before. Yeah 3 of the DRAM chips came with broken legs, so those are where I've soldered on some solid core wire as replacement legs. The extra DRAM works fine in the card with the yellow tint, at first I thought they were the cause until I realised it was only the one card that crashes, and it does it when running only it's own 1MB as well 🙁

I'll give that a shot, thanks! It's really weird, the card that crashes came absolutely spotless, like it was brand new. Whereas the yellow-tinge card came with a half inch thick layer of dust. I thought that was going to be the problem card..

Reply 5 of 11, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Logistics wrote:

The "Lx" traces are Inductors. I'm just a bit curious, in the picture, the left-most piece of additional DRAM, as well as the right-most piece look like they have blemishes on the corners of the sockets--perhaps some of the plastic has broken away? It's hard to tell.

^ This right here, and also the one circled in green. What's going on with that pin?

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Filename
    Image1.jpg
    File size
    309.55 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 11, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

It appears the blue color is not completely gone. Does it change when you bend the VGA plug?
If not, it's most likely the video DAC.

You can try to unsolder the ATT20C491 from the unstable card and transplant it to the other.

1+1=10

Reply 7 of 11, by Nipedley

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Brickpad wrote:
Logistics wrote:

^ This right here, and also the one circled in green. What's going on with that pin?

That's another broken leg on the chip that I soldered some solid core wire onto to resolve. It's not pretty but it does work 😀

Thanks for the tip on the DAC! I'll give that a shot

Reply 8 of 11, by orcish75

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The termination resistor on the blue line might also be blown or have a dry joint. The termination resistors are probably below the DAC (I can't see the values because of the reflection of the flash) and will be marked 750 for 75 ohms. There will be 3 termination resistors, one for each of the red, green and blue lines, you'll just have to try and find which one is for the blue line.

The other possibilities are one of the SMD capacitors on the low-pass output filter might be blown or have a dry joint or one of the zero ohm resistors (marked 000) is also blown or have a dry joint. (All these components are next to the VGA connector, R14, R15, C50, C51, C52, etc)

If the termination resistor and all the other components are fine then the next step will be to replace the DAC. This will not be a trivial task if you don't have the right equipment.

Reply 9 of 11, by Nipedley

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I replaced all of the tantalum caps & re-soldered all of the SMD caps and resistors and checked the resistors with a multimeter. The card with the yellow tinge is now fixed and working fine

Unfortunately, the card that randomly crashes is still doing so. I've done the same as above, all tantalum caps replaced, and resoldered all pins on all of the ICs (except the main chip as it's legs are so small), caps, resistors. The card works fine and puts out a beautiful picture, but if you stress it too bad, it dies and displays that yellow screen I've put in my first post. Usually looping a Quicktime video for about 1 minute is enough to kill it.

I'd really like to get this card working, failing that I'll keep it as a spares board for my now working one. What could I check out there? Apart from trying to check the solder on the legs of the main chip, I'm not sure what to do next.

Reply 10 of 11, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey the problem can always be a faulty Video Processor. Or you can try to cool it somehow. And then try to test it.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 11 of 11, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tried using a lower bus speed or adjusting bus timings with the faulty card? Maybe it's a little sensitive.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel