VOGONS

First post, by spaceman73

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Everyone,

I need help with my sound card/cd/roland connection as I am experiencing problems with the Cd audio (voice) not coming through on games like Day of The Tantacle and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (both original CD's).

This is my current setup:
Pentium MMX 100mhz
16 MB ram
Yamaha Audician 32 Plus (also have other cards like SB Pro 2 and SB16 Vibra but had a few problems with those - conflicts, drivers ect.)
MPU401 with Roland MT-32 and SC55MK2
Gotek usb floppy emulator
52x LG CD rom
32 GB CF card (with Ontrack)
DOS 7.1 (from windows 98 boot disc)

Yamaha Audician is set as:
I/O: 220, IRQ 5, DMA 1.

Roland is set at 330 I believe.

Here's what my test have resulted in so far:
In DOTT for example, if I select SB for music, it works.
If I select Roland MT-32 for music, it works.
If I set Roland MT-32 for music and SB for voice, I get the Roland music, but nothing for the SB.

I am unsure of my CD audio connector to the sound card. I might have the wrong cable or the wrong way around.

Here's a picture of the cable and how it's currently connected.

Sound Connectors PC Dos.jpg
Filename
Sound Connectors PC Dos.jpg
File size
205.92 KiB
Views
File comment
Sound Cable
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Here's my Autoexec.bat and config.sys in case I am missing something (which could be obvious to you guys):

AUTOEXEC.BAT

@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $p$g
PATH C:\DOS
SET TEMP=C:\DOS
GoTo %config%
:EMC
:XMC
:CMC
LH C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:OPTICAL
:EM
:XM
:CM
LH C:\DRIVERS\CTMOUSE.EXE /R2
:E
:X
:C

CONFIG.SYS
DEVICE=C:\AUDICIAN\DOS\SACDROM.SYS /P0 /IOFF /A0
[COMMON]
REM DEVICE=C:\SBVIB16\DRV\VIBRA16.SYS /UNIT=0 /BLASTER=A:240 I:5 D:1 H:5
REM DEVICE=C:\SBVIB16\DRV\CTMMSYS.SYS
FILES=40
DOS=HIGH,UMB
REM ** FILES=30
BUFFERS=30
LASTDRIVE=H

[menu]
menuitem=EMC, Expanded memory + Mouse + CD-ROM
menuitem=XMC, Extended memory + Mouse + CD-ROM
menuitem=CMC, Conventional Memory only + Mouse + CD-ROM
menuitem=EM, Expanded memory + Mouse
menuitem=XM, Extended memory + Mouse
menuitem=CM, Conventional memory only + Mouse
menuitem=E, Expanded memory
menuitem=X, Extended memory
menuitem=C, Conventional memory only

menudefault=EMC,10

[EMC]
DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS /TESTMEM:OFF
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE RAM
DEVICEHIGH=C:\DRIVERS\VIDECDD.SYS /D:OPTICAL

[XMC]

[CMC]

[EM]

[XM]

[CM]

[E]

[X]

[C]

This is my 1st build, greatly influenced by Phils Computer Lab videos. I am hoping to relieve the good old DOS days when I had a 386 sx/33 and then a 486 dx2/66. Everything else seems to work fine (by disabling caches ect), but this voice problems is highly annoying as these adventure games were a big part of my teenage years and I am really excited to finally replay them with Roland and CD voice!

Please, any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Reply 1 of 21, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Two quick suggestions:

Boot the machine with caches disabled. You can do this in the BIOS (L1 and L2 options.

Double check that the Audician32 has the MPU401 moved to 300 and is not sharing 330 with the Roland MPU.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 21, by spaceman73

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the suggestion Phil. Tried both and no luck. Things run fine but still no voice! Any other idea? Should I be getting CD voice audio out of the front headphone jack at least? This is a used Cd rom, and I have about 6 other one I could try, but as I am unsure about the connector and how I am connecting it, if someone could confirm that for me 1st, maybe I could try another CD rom (although everything else seems to work fine from it).

Reply 3 of 21, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nope.

The front jack and that cable that connects CD and sound card are used when the CD is playing CD audio music (i.e.: sound tracks on HOMAM2 and Quake).

The voices in DOTT are digital data stored in a file, that plays through the sound card DAC. The CD is only a storage medium and does not play any voice.

I'd check those digital sound settings, the hardware connections are not involved

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 4 of 21, by spaceman73

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Zup, thanks for that clarification. It's really odd then, as I had the same problem when trying my Sound blaster 16 Vibra as well (which was on 240 i5 d1 h5 p330 t6 which is different than on this card). What would you suggest I try next?

Reply 8 of 21, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Connect the speakers directly to the SB16 to test if the card works.

Check the Volume of "wave" and "master" in the Audio Mixer.

I had the same Problem (no sound effekts) even on Dosbox, cause dosbox was to fast.

Reply 9 of 21, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do you get sub-titles in place of voice? Could it be that you have speech turned off in the menu somewhere?

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 10 of 21, by synrgy87

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Judging by your picture the CD audio cable at the sound card end is the wrong way around, should be like this:

Attachments

• audician32plus.jpg
    Filename
    audician32plus.jpg
    File size
    55.4 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    audician 32 plus cd audio cable
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 11 of 21, by spaceman73

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

Are you getting sound in any other games?

Yes, the sound works fine in other games (both Roland and Audician (SB compatible). They work fine in DOTT too, but only as music, the Audician doesn't work for voice. I have also tried Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and same issue.

Sammy wrote:

Connect the speakers directly to the SB16. Check the Volume of "wave" and "master" in the Audio Mixer

I have 2 pair of speakers connected, 1 to the roland and 1 to the Audio Card. The sound works on the Audio Card when used for music, but no voice.
Just checked in setupsa and everything SB was already set to 4. I changes them to the max value, still no luck.

clueless1 wrote:

Do you get sub-titles in place of voice? Could it be that you have speech turned off in the menu somewhere?

Yes, I do get the subtitles. I have also toggled the "Voice Only", "Voice and Text" in the game (ctrl t) and still o voice.

synrgy87 wrote:

Judging by your picture the CD audio cable at the sound card end is the wrong way around

Thanks for that, I have turned it around. Should save me some trouble on games that needs it. What about the little white connector I have attached to it, does it go where I have placed it or is it for something else or not needed?

- I have also tried with the cache on and off, and without the Roland MPU-IPC-T in the machine (in case of conflict), still no luck.
Not sure what to do next. Any other ideas? Happy to provide info on other settings, or hardware details or photos of anything you could think is relevant.

Thanks a lot for your help, I was so excited to finally have my DOS setup and be able to finally hear the voice of my favorite adventure games as I tried to complete them for the 1st time in 20 years...

Reply 12 of 21, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you have a SET BLASTER line set? Like SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 (follows your Yamaha Audician values you listed above).

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 13 of 21, by synrgy87

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for that, I have turned it around. Should save me some trouble on games that needs it. What about the little white connector I have attached to it, does it go where I have placed it or is it for something else or not needed?

I don't think that connector is needed, it's the same signal just a different shape connector iirc some CD audio cables/sound cards/motherboards used that connector.

If you're not getting digital voice something could be muted in the sound settings for the yamaha card I have the same card so when I get a chance I'll test out DOTT.

edit: Yeah I get both music and voice, although I just use general midi(audician 32 plus + dreamblaster S1) rather than roland. the game defaults to IRQ7, so make sure you set it to IRQ 5.

Last edited by synrgy87 on 2016-09-10, 01:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14 of 21, by 33mhz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you don't care about actually fixing the hardware problem there is a workaround for Lucasarts dos cd games. Just run the setup program and then go into the game directory on the cd ie. D:\DOTT\ and xcopy everything to the game directory on the HD, overwriting as needed. Had this problem before and stumbled into this solution. Also this removes the need to use the cd to play the game. You may have to edit the SETMUSE file to change D to C, but I can't remember if that's a thing or not. Takes about 60-120mb depending on the game.

Reply 15 of 21, by spaceman73

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
CkRtech wrote:

Do you have a SET BLASTER line set? Like SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 (follows your Yamaha Audician values you listed above).

No, this doesn't seem to show in my autoexec or config. What I have in config is: DEVICE=C:\AUDICIAN\DOS\SACDROM.SYS /P0 /IOFF /A0
THE REM lines are for my old SB card.

I have done the install on the Audician, so not sure if it's missing something. Things like I/O and IRQ seem to be changed in software in the file setupsa in the Audician folder. Plug'n'play is also activated in the BIOS, so not sure about that.

synrgy87 wrote:

Yeah I get both music and voice, although I just use general midi(audician 32 plus + dreamblaster S1) rather than roland. the game defaults to IRQ7, so make sure you set it to IRQ 5.

What I don't understand is that don't get the voice at all, even without the Roland card in the computer and using only the Audicia 32 plus card, although I get music/sound without problems. Would you mind sharing your settings? Do you have any special lines in autoexec or config. What about the setting in setupsa in the audician folder? Maybe that could help me somehow... thanks

33mhz wrote:

If you don't care about actually fixing the hardware problem there is a workaround for Lucasarts dos cd games. Just run the setup program and then go into the game directory on the cd ie. D:\DOTT\ and xcopy everything to the game directory on the HD, overwriting as needed. Had this problem before and stumbled into this solution. Also this removes the need to use the cd to play the game. You may have to edit the SETMUSE file to change D to C, but I can't remember if that's a thing or not. Takes about 60-120mb depending on the game..

Just tried this and the game work, but it makes no difference to my problem, still no voice! I really don't get it. Might play some of the games that way however, it save time and make less noise ect... But it won't be a workaround for me by the look of it... 😢

Reply 16 of 21, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't see any evidence in Your autoexec.bat and config.sys files that You even have the Yamaha sound Opl3 drivers loaded.

SACDROM.sys is likely only the driver for the cdrom header on the sound card if fitted. I've powered up my 486 and got the startup files out of it.
The 1st 2 lines below are the most important, without them You can forget about the card working properly.

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330 T4
LH C:\OPL3SA\SETUPSA /S
LH C:\DOS\SHSUCDX /D:MSCD001 /L:D /C
LH C:\DOS\CTMOUSE.EXE
LH C:\DOS\S3REFRSH\S3REFRSH 8880

DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS /NUMHANDLES=128 /TESTMEM:OFF
DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOS\QCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD001
DOS=HIGH,UMB
FILESHIGH=50
BUFFERSHIGH=50
LASTDRIVE=Z
SHELL=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM C:\WINDOWS /E:2048 /F /P

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 17 of 21, by spaceman73

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Imperious wrote:

The 1st 2 lines below are the most important, without them You can forget about the card working properly.
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330 T4
LH C:\OPL3SA\SETUPSA /S

YAY, some progress!! I've added the 2 lines has above and now you can see things load properly and I get both VOICE and MUSIC through the sound card!
But now for the bad news, I have lost usage of the CDROM... When I to a dir on the D: drive, I get an error (Abort, Fail, Cancel).
Also, as soon as I connect the MPU-IPC-T card for the roland (set on 330h IRQ 2), it doesn't work and I get back to my problem of NO VOICE! Arrrgg...

But at least, there some progress, I guess it's just a matter of changing configuration.
What would the recommended setting for the Sound Card be (probably better change that one than the roland card) and how to fix the CD-ROM issue? (I have installed DOTT on the CF card, so that's how I can test meanwhile).

Thanks everyone for your help, I think I might get there soon... hopefully.

Reply 18 of 21, by synrgy87

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What I don't understand is that don't get the voice at all, even without the Roland card in the computer and using only the Audicia 32 plus card, although I get music/sound without problems. Would you mind sharing your settings? Do you have any special lines in autoexec or config. What about the setting in setupsa in the audician folder? Maybe that could help me somehow... thanks

I don't have anything special in the congfig / autoexec files just the standard install from the audician 32 cdrom. but I'll have a look and see what's in there.
My Autoexec.bat has:

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4
C:\OP3SA\SETUPSA.EXE /S

and Config.sys has nothing extra in it.

Also, as soon as I connect the MPU-IPC-T card for the roland (set on 330h IRQ 2), it doesn't work and I get back to my problem of NO VOICE! Arrrgg...

Sounds to me like something is causing a conflict

in the SETUPSA make sure the Yamaha card is set to a different address than the Roland MPU-IPC-T card, the Audician 32 plus defaults to 330 and it looks like you're using that for the roland MPU-IPC-T card also
There's also an option to set the on card IDE's IRQ, basically make sure nothing is conflicting.

Reply 19 of 21, by spaceman73

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks a lot to everyone, I think I finally have this sorted out, after adding the lines to autoexec and changing the SB and MPU setting to different address/irq in setupsa of the Yamaha card. Now time to work on getting the rest setup (mixer and such) and then sort the games and start enjoying the good old DOS days... I will be looking into old thread and sure enough will come across issues here and there, so it's great to have found such a great forum!