VOGONS

First post, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I recently acquired an Audigy SB0090. It's my first ever Audigy and I'm trying to decide where best to use it. Here are my options:
1) in one of my two Win98 retro PCs. One is a P2-400/Voodoo3 2000 PCI, the other a P3-933/FX5200. The downside with either of these is these are my least-used systems. I spend most of my time on XP and DOS.
2) my XP gaming system. It currently has a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, which I'm absolutely in love with. It has (to my ear) the most impressive MIDI emulation between it and the SB Live!
3) my son's Win10 i5. It has the Realtek ALC1150 audio codec integrated with a claimed 115dB SNR.

Honestly, my son's rig would make the most use of it, but I'm not sure if it would be a downgrade to his integrated audio. Thoughts?

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 3 of 6, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I run Audigy Platinum Ex on my main Win 7 64bit computer (no Win8 or 10 for me thanks), absolutely no issues with drivers. I use modified ones. Computer itself is i7 875K, 16GB RAM, 160 GB Intel SSD for OS and 2TB for data.

Many 3Dfx and Pentium III-S stuff.
My amibay FS thread: www.amibay.com/showthread.php?88030-Man ... -370-dual)

Reply 4 of 6, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First of all, you may want to consider getting rid of your Pentium II computer and just keep your Pentium III PC.
The original Audigy is more of an XP type of sound cards. I don't think it will give any benefits over the the Realtek integrated audio in a modern rig. Keep the Audigy for another XP computer or just use it one of your Windows 98 PCs.

Reply 5 of 6, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The original Audigy 1 is a high end, late Windows 98 SE or early Windows XP sound card in the same era as the GeForce3/4. Just my 2 cents.

Gateway 2000 Case and 200-Watt PSU
Intel SE440BX-2 Motherboard
Intel Pentium III 450 CPU
Micron 384MB SDRAM (3x128)
Compaq Voodoo3 3500 TV Graphics Card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Western Digital 7200-RPM, 8MB-Cache, 160GB Hard Drive
Windows 98 SE

Reply 6 of 6, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I will probably put it in the P3 (replacing the Live! that's in there). I actually prefer the P2 to the P3 for Win98, it feels more authentic. The P3 should have ME or Win2k on it, if I ever feel like redoing it.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks