VOGONS

First post, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can a ZIP 100 internal drive replace the functionalities of a floppy drive? (Where a ZIP disk can be formatted to floppy formats and become the new A:/ drive.)

Dedicated Windows 95 Aficionado for good reasons:
http://toastytech.com/evil/setup.html

Reply 1 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
computergeek92 wrote:

Where a ZIP disk can be formatted to floppy formats

No, definitely not. (That would be an extraordinary waste of a ZIP disk.)

Back in the day there was something called Norton Zip Rescue that could be used to make bootable Zip disks, as I vaguely recall.

Reply 2 of 8, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I still have 6 100MB Zip disks, most of which still have crap on them from 1999-2000. 🤣 Luckily my internal drives all work. I have a 100MB ZIP and a 250MB ZIP internal IDE drive. Much easier and faster than using the old parallel external drive that was our FIRST foray into ZIP disks back on the old Packard Bell Windows 95 days. I even remember we chained a scanner off of that, then hooked a printer up to THAT. 🤣 And they all worked!

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 3 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
FFXIhealer wrote:

Much easier and faster than using the old parallel external drive that was our FIRST foray into ZIP disks back on the old Packard Bell Windows 95 days. I even remember we chained a scanner off of that, then hooked a printer up to THAT. 🤣 And they all worked!

Wouldn't that have been a SCSI external drive? I was not aware you could chain parallel devices.

Reply 4 of 8, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It was definitely NOT SCSI. It was a standard 25-pin Parallel cable that went from the PC to the ZIP drive, then from the ZIP drive to the Scanner, then from the Scanner to the Printer. Whichever system was being called to from the port would answer based on a hardware ID.

It worked for what it was, but when I bought my Windows 98 PC in 1999, I got the 100MB Zip drive internal and it was MUCH faster at reading and writing files.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 5 of 8, by GuyTechie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
FFXIhealer wrote:

Much easier and faster than using the old parallel external drive that was our FIRST foray into ZIP disks back on the old Packard Bell Windows 95 days. I even remember we chained a scanner off of that, then hooked a printer up to THAT. 🤣 And they all worked!

Wouldn't that have been a SCSI external drive? I was not aware you could chain parallel devices.

Most parallel port accessories has a port for a printer. This way you're not sacraficing the (usually) one parallel port for the accessory and have nothing for your printer.

So we all remember the pport Zip drive has a pass-through. I'm willing to bet the pport scanner has a pass-through as well.

Reply 6 of 8, by petro89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
GuyTechie wrote:
Jorpho wrote:
FFXIhealer wrote:

Most parallel port accessories has a port for a printer. This way you're not sacraficing the (usually) one parallel port for the accessory and have nothing for your printer.

So we all remember the pport Zip drive has a pass-through. I'm willing to bet the pport scanner has a pass-through as well.

Yep, I had my scanner, printer and zip all daisy-chained together through parallel connections though I don't remember the order. Those were the days!

*Ryzen 9 3900xt, 5700xt, Win10
*Ryzen 7 2700x, Gtx1080, Win10
*FX 9590, Vega64, Win10
*Phenom IIx6 1100T, R9 380, Win7
*QX9770, r9 270x, Win7
*FX60, hd5850, Win7
*XP2400+, ti4600, Win2k
*PPro 200 1mb, banshee, w98
*AMD 5x86, CL , DOS

Reply 7 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Huh. I never had that many parallel port accessories in use at one time. I guess I learned something today.

Sounds like the sort of thing with enormous potential to go wrong, considering how problematic SCSI could be.

Last edited by Jorpho on 2016-09-12, 19:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 8, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If your looking for a replacement for the floppy drive the LS-120 drives would be a better fit then a zip drive. They connect via IDE but look just like a 3 1/2 floppy drive. they can read/write 1.44mb disks just like a normal drive but are faster and can use special 120mb disks as well.