VOGONS

First post, by UltimaPlayer12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There are times I attempt to boot into MS-DOS mode with a custom shortcut within Win98 that generates an autoexec.bat and config.sys, and it succeeds. Sometimes this happens multiple times in a row. However, I hit a point where sometimes it just doesn't want to reboot. It seems that maybe something with my display drivers are messed up or perhaps it is an issue with MS-DOS mode corrupting my files, as booting into the CLI on boot-up using F8 and checking them shows garbled text.

I'm running an S3 Virge 2MB graphics card, on an ASUS P5A motherboard. I do not have an option to reserve an IRQ for VGA, but I have set the IRQ reserve to 11 on the PCI slot for my GPU and this hasn't resolved the problem.

If this will help, my config and sys files are as follows

autoexec.cfg:

GoTo %config%
:EMC
:XMC
:CMC
SET SOUND=C:\SB16
SET CTCM=C:\CTCM
C:\CTCM\CTCM.EXE
C:\SB16\MIXERSET.EXE /P /Q
LH C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:OPTICAL
:EM
:XM
:CM
LH C:\DRIVERS\CTMOUSE.EXE /R2
:E
:X
:C

config.sys:

[COMMON]
DOS=HIGH,UMB,NOAUTO
FILES=30
BUFFERS=30

[menu]
menuitem=EMC, Expanded memory + Mouse + CD-ROM
menuitem=XMC, Extended memory + Mouse + CD-ROM
menuitem=CMC, Conventional Memory only + Mouse + CD-ROM
menuitem=EM, Expanded memory + Mouse
menuitem=XM, Extended memory + Mouse
menuitem=CM, Conventional memory only + Mouse
menuitem=E, Expanded memory
menuitem=X, Extended memory
menuitem=C, Conventional memory only

menudefault=EMC,10

[EMC]
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS /TESTMEM:OFF
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM
DEVICEHIGH=C:\DRIVERS\VIDECDD.SYS /D:OPTICAL

[XMC]

[CMC]

[EM]

[XM]

[CM]

[E]

[X]

[C]

These are slightly modified versions of PhilsComputerLab's provided configurations with his MS-DOS tutorials, used for a working mouse and audio.

Note: I posted this in the wrong area of the forum originally, and have no way to delete it. If an admin would like, they can remove the original. I apologize for having posted in the wrong place.

The Beast 2.0:
CPU: AMD K6-III 450MHz GPU: Nvidia FX 5600 128MB HDD: 20GB (Seagate?) Mobo: ASUS P5A-B RAM: 512MB Sound Card: SB 16 PnP ISA OS: Windows 98 SE

Reply 1 of 23, by synrgy87

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

this may be a windows 98 bug rather than an issue with your MS DOS configuration 98 suffers from a few different shutdown / restart bugs, there's fixes for some of them, and other times it's driver issues.

IIRC black screen when going into DOS mode is one of these bugs, although never experienced this one myself so no idea how to fix

Reply 2 of 23, by UltimaPlayer12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
synrgy87 wrote:

this may be a windows 98 bug rather than an issue with your MS DOS configuration 98 suffers from a few different shutdown / restart bugs, there's fixes for some of them, and other times it's driver issues.

IIRC black screen when going into DOS mode is one of these bugs, although never experienced this one myself so no idea how to fix

Are there any reasons to stick with 98 over 95? I want to be able to play as many DOS and 9x games as possible, I'm honestly annoyed that this is happening because sometimes it just works and other times it doesn't. I've done two fresh installs now 😒

The Beast 2.0:
CPU: AMD K6-III 450MHz GPU: Nvidia FX 5600 128MB HDD: 20GB (Seagate?) Mobo: ASUS P5A-B RAM: 512MB Sound Card: SB 16 PnP ISA OS: Windows 98 SE

Reply 3 of 23, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Uhm, which type of MS-DOS Mode do you mean ?
The one before starting Windows 98, or that one when Windows 98 is running (shutdown / drop to DOS) ?
The latter one may take some time. One of my PCs needed about a minute to drop to DOS.

UltimaPlayer12 wrote:

Are there any reasons to stick with 98 over 95? I want to be able to play as many DOS and 9x games as possible, I'm honestly annoyed that this is happening because sometimes it just works and other times it doesn't. I've done two fresh installs now 😒

Windows 95 itself is smaller and faster, but also had a lot of bugs. Windows 98FE was a bit crash-y and the unpatched version
gets a blue screen after several days without a restart. Win98SE is the most stable of them and supports WDM drivers.
It also contains several other improvments, I think. Like optimized systems files and and so on. I don't know if that's an urban legend,
but I heard it also has an MMX-optimized kernel, which gets choosen if you install Win98 on a machine with Pentium MMX.
Other technologies, like ACPI or Firewire, also got updated, I think. So overall performance could be better on Win98SE, despite Win98 beeing bigger.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 23, by UltimaPlayer12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote:
Uhm, which type of MS-DOS Mode do you mean ? The one before starting Windows 98, or that one when Windows 98 is running (shutdow […]
Show full quote

Uhm, which type of MS-DOS Mode do you mean ?
The one before starting Windows 98, or that one when Windows 98 is running (shutdown / drop to DOS) ?
The latter one may take some time. One of my PCs needed about a minute to drop to DOS.

UltimaPlayer12 wrote:

Windows 95 itself is smaller and faster, but also had a lot of bugs. Windows 98FE was a bit crash-y and the unpatched version
gets a blue screen after several days without a restart. Win98SE is the most stable of them and supports WDM drivers.
It also contains several other improvments, I think. Like optimized systems files and and so on. I don't know if that's an urban legend,
but I heard it also has an MMX-optimized kernel, which gets choosen if you install Win98 on a machine with Pentium MMX.
Other technologies, like ACPI or Firewire, also got updated, I think. So overall performance could be better on Win98SE, despite Win98 beeing bigger.

I'm using drop to DOS mode. Also, it seems to have gotten worse... Now I can't restart/shut down at all without having to hold the power button. This is extremely annoying, and I'm trying to figure out what's causing it but have had no luck so far and have to work soon. Spent all night troubleshooting this, haha.

The Beast 2.0:

Reply 5 of 23, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
UltimaPlayer12 wrote:

I'm using drop to DOS mode. Also, it seems to have gotten worse... Now I can't restart/shut down at all without having to hold the power button. This is extremely annoying, and I'm trying to figure out what's causing it but have had no luck so far and have to work soon. Spent all night troubleshooting this, haha.

Sorry to hear. I hope you will get things working again soon. 🙁
I know some people will hate me for this idea, but you could try to install Win Me.
Only for testing, of course. Because it is the last one of the Win 9x family, it might be compatible with you existing drivers and hardware.
So you could check, wheter the PC is defetive or not. But again, that's just an idea. Win Me often worked for me on otherwise
unsupported hardware, like set-top boxes or thin clients (Win98SE often didn't even made it past the setup program there).
And it also works fine with Transmeta Crusoe CPUs.

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 23, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, is your 98SE installation fully up-to-date? Among other things, Microsoft released a "Shutdown supplement" for problems of that nature.

UltimaPlayer12 wrote:

as booting into the CLI on boot-up using F8 and checking them shows garbled text.

Can you be more specific about the nature of this check?

Reply 8 of 23, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As suggested by synrgy87, download the "Unofficial Windows 98 SE Service Pack 2.1a" (just Google it).
There are later versions available (refer http://www.htasoft.com/u98sesp), but they include patches and updates that are not necessary (I've also had mixed results with the version 3.x updates). I do, however, utilize the USB stack from the later versions (which I install separately) that provides me with USB support for removable media (flash drives, etc.) that are formatted with FAT16 or FAT32.

Service Pack 2.1a essentially combines all official updates released by Microsoft (including the Shutdown replacement, which was to overcome shutdown problems on fast PC's).
The Service Pack includes some additional updates (like the Windows 2000 color scheme), but you only need to install the Main Updates.

Some of your problems could be related to your hardware (like too much onboard RAM or even faulty memory), but try the update first and see whether that addresses your problems.
You might also want to check for any BIOS updates for your motherboard - http://www.asus.com/supportonly/P5A/HelpDesk_Download/ (I noticed a number of issues that were addressed in the BIOS updates for your motherboard).
Also download and install the IDE & Audio drivers from the Asus website (the latter is only required if you have those audio devices installed), since some problems could be related to faulty drivers.

Reply 9 of 23, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Interesting. Can this "Service Pack" be slip-streamed into an installation media ?
It is of little use if you can't get your Windows installed in the first place, you know.

//My video channel//

Reply 10 of 23, by UltimaPlayer12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jesolo wrote:
As suggested by synrgy87, download the "Unofficial Windows 98 SE Service Pack 2.1a" (just Google it). There are later versions a […]
Show full quote

As suggested by synrgy87, download the "Unofficial Windows 98 SE Service Pack 2.1a" (just Google it).
There are later versions available (refer http://www.htasoft.com/u98sesp), but they include patches and updates that are not necessary (I've also had mixed results with the version 3.x updates). I do, however, utilize the USB stack from the later versions (which I install separately) that provides me with USB support for removable media (flash drives, etc.) that are formatted with FAT16 or FAT32.

Service Pack 2.1a essentially combines all official updates released by Microsoft (including the Shutdown replacement, which was to overcome shutdown problems on fast PC's).
The Service Pack includes some additional updates (like the Windows 2000 color scheme), but you only need to install the Main Updates.

Some of your problems could be related to your hardware (like too much onboard RAM or even faulty memory), but try the update first and see whether that addresses your problems.
You might also want to check for any BIOS updates for your motherboard - http://www.asus.com/supportonly/P5A/HelpDesk_Download/ (I noticed a number of issues that were addressed in the BIOS updates for your motherboard).
Also download and install the IDE & Audio drivers from the Asus website (the latter is only required if you have those audio devices installed), since some problems could be related to faulty drivers.

Holy crap, thank you so much! Your recommendation for the Unofficial Win98 SE Service Pack 2.1a fixed my problems. I found it was related to my computer being far too fast, and Windows 98 not liking that. Now I can run my machine at full speed and still be able to drop to DOS mode, reboot and shutdown properly. Time to get my setup re-configured!

EDIT: Nevermind, I have to have my CPU cache disabled. I'm running a K6-III 450MHz CPU, and doing so makes the OS rather slow. I'm adding more RAM to see if this will help, but honestly I'm just glad it's functional.

The Beast 2.0:

Reply 12 of 23, by UltimaPlayer12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
UltimaPlayer12 wrote:

I'm adding more RAM to see if this will help

Using more than 512 MB in Windows 9x is a bad idea.

For testing purposes I had cut my system down to 100MB of RAM, I'm back up to exactly 512MB. The rig seems mostly stable with the CPU cache disabled, but obviously it's extremely slow to perform any operations.

The Beast 2.0:

Reply 13 of 23, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wait a second.

UltimaPlayer12 wrote:

I found it was related to my computer being far too fast

What exactly led you to believe that a K6-III 450 MHz is "far too fast" ? That would have been entirely typical for the time Windows 98 was released. If it was 2 GHz or more, that would be a different matter.

Reply 14 of 23, by UltimaPlayer12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

Wait a second.

UltimaPlayer12 wrote:

I found it was related to my computer being far too fast

What exactly led you to believe that a K6-III 450 MHz is "far too fast" ? That would have been entirely typical for the time Windows 98 was released. If it was 2 GHz or more, that would be a different matter.

The assumption is related to the fact that disabling my CPU cache, which drastically reduces my systems performance in Windows 98, allows me to drop to DOS, shutdown and restart flawlessly, but the moment I enable it and get my computer running at full speed again, it refuses to do these things.

The Beast 2.0:

Reply 15 of 23, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh. I thought you had read about the Win9x speed limitations and had drawn your own conclusions.

There is certainly no reason it is not supposed to work with cache enabled and without having to make it "extremely slow to perform any operations".

Reply 16 of 23, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
UltimaPlayer12 wrote:

The assumption is related to the fact that disabling my CPU cache, which drastically reduces my systems performance in Windows 98, allows me to drop to DOS, shutdown and restart flawlessly, but the moment I enable it and get my computer running at full speed again, it refuses to do these things.

Perhaps try a BIOS update from Asus' website.
Skip the beta release and first go for the last stable release (depending on what version you're on now).

Reply 17 of 23, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jo22 wrote:

Interesting. Can this "Service Pack" be slip-streamed into an installation media ?
It is of little use if you can't get your Windows installed in the first place, you know.

Not to my knowledge, but most installation problems with Windows 98 on "modern" systems (based on what I've read) was due to too much onboard RAM. Reducing it (initially) to below 512 MB usually helps.
However, when you try to install Windows 98 on a Core i5 with 4 GB of RAM, then you are bound to run into problems 🤣.

Reply 18 of 23, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
synrgy87 wrote:

I second this. I have a similar Win98SE box myself (with a K6-II 500MHz instead of a K6-III 450MHz). Every once in a while, it would not shutdown/restart properly and would just hang there, until I hit the power/reset button manually.

Now it happens about 5-10% of the time, so I don't care. I seem to recall that it used to be more frequent, and I have no idea what I did to affect it and whether I did anything at all. As said, Win98 is quite glitchy in shutdown/restart. It is one of the earliest ACPI implementations, so some bugs would be expected.

Here are a couple of Microsoft KB articles on the subject:
Windows 98 Second Edition Shutdown Supplement
Problems Shutting Down Windows 98 Second Edition

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 19 of 23, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jesolo wrote:
Jo22 wrote:

Not to my knowledge, but most installation problems with Windows 98 on "modern" systems (based on what I've read) was due to too much onboard RAM. Reducing it (initially) to below 512 MB usually helps.
However, when you try to install Windows 98 on a Core i5 with 4 GB of RAM, then you are bound to run into problems 🤣.

Thanks, as of now I do know of two of my systems that are totally Win98SE incompatible.
- GA586S REV v1.22C with Pentium133, 32MB RAM (released ca. 95-97)
- MS-6507 with Pentium IV 1.8GHz, 256MB RAM (released ca. 2002)

And several thin clients (not all).. One of them has an PIII@733MHz and 128MB of on-board memory, for example.

Ironically, they all do run with Win Me. The Me installation program had sometimes trouble, too, but
at least it did finish after a restart. The Win98SE setup program on the other hand, freezed or
crashed for up to 15times in a row on the GA586S. Boy, at some point 98SE made me feel like I was an incompetent fumbler. 🙁
At least I do understand now why people of the 90s literally threw their Windows machines out of their windows.
Because I felt the urge to do the same.

//My video channel//