VOGONS

First post, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I can't seem to find any information on this topic. Both asus's site had the manual say to use regged ecc ram with the board. Has anyone tried non regged ecc ram or non ecc ram altogether in the board?

THANNKYOU.

Reply 1 of 7, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The ECC Reg RAM is rather a chipset requirement than a motherboard requirement. Practically all Intel E7525 based motherboards requires EEC Reg RAM assuming the memory controller is 144 bits wide rather than 128 bits wide in regular non ECC memory system or 128/144 bits on chipsets which supports both types of RAM (dual channel configurations). Non ECC ram is 64 bit wide, when ECC ram is 72 bit wide (64 bit + 8 bit for error correction). If the chipset strictly requires ECC Reg RAM, it'll likely won't work with non ECC unbuffered RAM

Some info. Buffered and Registred are the same, so non reg = unbuffered. ECC RAM can be buffered or unbuffered, so if you use ECC unbuffered, i might not work as well

I suggest getting ECC Registred RAM like 4x 1 GB or 2x 2 GB if you are using 32 bit Win 2k Pro, 8 GB is useless unless you have an x64 OS or Win 2K server with PAE enabled

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 2 of 7, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Thanks, I figured much.

I bough 4 1gb sticks of registered ecc ram. But I got ram that was rated abit higher then what the board called for. So I should be able to lower the timing to address the loss in speed.

Reply 3 of 7, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The loss in speed is honestly almost non-existent. Don't pay it any mind. You can however disable the ecc in bios if you want to. I owned a NCT-D "in the day". It was a very capable board when I made the switch to pci-e.

Did you get the version with the extra sata ports? That version is very hard to get if memory serves.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 4 of 7, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

The loss in speed is honestly almost non-existent. Don't pay it any mind. You can however disable the ecc in bios if you want to.

AFAIK the loss in speed in Registered ECC RAM is not due to ECC but due to registers.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 5 of 7, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
luckybob wrote:

The loss in speed is honestly almost non-existent. Don't pay it any mind. You can however disable the ecc in bios if you want to. I owned a NCT-D "in the day". It was a very capable board when I made the switch to pci-e.

Did you get the version with the extra sata ports? That version is very hard to get if memory serves.

You see it when you benchmark. In the real would not so much if at all. And no mine only has 2 sata ports 😢

Reply 6 of 7, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I suppose. I remember seeing ddr2/3/4 ecc/reg in "gaming" situations and there was no signifigant difference in fps. Ddr1 might be a little different, but i cant umagine it being noticible.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 7 of 7, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
luckybob wrote:

I suppose. I remember seeing ddr2/3/4 ecc/reg in "gaming" situations and there was no signifigant difference in fps. Ddr1 might be a little different, but i cant umagine it being noticible.

I think it really depends on the task you us ring the server for and the system.
I recall reading the older system can lose up to 10% memory performance. But it really depends on what you're doing. The nct-d is a ddr2 board too.

Games should have little to no difference. Ram drives are probably a little slower too.